Next Time | The Boneyard

Next Time

Reaction Score
Let's hope that UConn gives this a bit more thought before they go running off to make presentations in Dallas the next time this topic comes up. Talks have been put on hold. The presidents can't be bothered at this point in time. They have more important issues on their plate. If it comes up again, for goodness sakes insist on an invitation from the presidents. This kind of activity is corrosive to athletic success. Can't be repeatedly doing this kind of thing.

Reaction Score
Let's hope that UConn gives this a bit more thought before they go running off to make presentations in Dallas. Talks have been put on hold. The presidents can't be bothered at this point in time. If it comes up again, for goodness sakes insist on an invitation from the presidents. This kind of activity is corrosive to athletic success. Can't be repeated doing this kind of thing.
What UConn needs to figure out is who the rats are the ship that leaks this to a 2bit podcaster who couldn't frigging wait to blast it out. They should absolutely be working behind the scenes to improve our situation but not everyone in the inner circle is rowing in the same direction. This is obvious.

Reaction Score
What UConn needs to figure out is who the rats are the ship that leaks this to a 2bit podcaster who couldn't frigging wait to blast it out. They should absolutely be working behind the scenes to improve our situation but not everyone in the inner circle is rowing in the same direction. This is obvious.
An impossible task. Too many agendas. Those who hate the idea will always leak.

Reaction Score
Let's hope that UConn gives this a bit more thought before they go running off to make presentations in Dallas the next time this topic comes up. Talks have been put on hold. The presidents can't be bothered at this point in time. They have more important issues on their plate. If it comes up again, for goodness sakes insist on an invitation from the presidents. This kind of activity is corrosive to athletic success. Can't be repeatedly doing this kind of thing.
The big 12 Commissioner has done an amazing job for the conference. He badly wanted Uconn in the big 12 and put on a great presentation. Unfortunately the Presidents are not interested in expansion.

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict's email at 1:11 PM:

Dear UConn Nation,

As you know, it’s been both an exciting and turbulent time in college athletics over the past few years. With the emergence of NIL and the transfer portal, the landscape has changed dramatically. Further, conference realignment has significantly blurred the national panorama.

Undoubtedly, many of you have followed recent media reports about the Big 12’s renewed interest in UConn as a conference member. It is always our objective to put UConn in the very best position for future success, so we did engage in exploratory dialogue with the Big 12. Ultimately, the Big 12 determined that it will pause on conversations about membership expansion.

I encourage all who care deeply about the Huskies to pause and reflect. Certainly, it is flattering to be courted; it says a lot about UConn and what others think of us. Further, we have enjoyed tremendous success since our return to the BIG EAST in 2020, which has included 36 conference championships (across all conferences in which we are affiliated) and, of course, our back-to-back NCAA men’s basketball titles.

No matter our conference home, our mission has been, and will always be, to provide an exceptional academic and athletic experience to the outstanding young men and women who proudly wear the UConn uniform. It is our North Star, and we must never forget the shining principle which guides our everyday work.

Let’s celebrate who we are and be proud of our greatness. We will push forward, stay grounded in what drives us, and demonstrate our ability to be highly successful in every one of our 21 varsity sports. We will stay focused on achievement in everything we do. And we will continue to position UConn as one of the nation’s premier brands. Your ongoing support, both emotionally and financially, remains critical to ensuring a bright future and maintaining the championship tradition which defines UConn Athletics.

Thank you for your dedication to our nearly 600 student-athletes. Go Huskies!

Sincerely,

mail

David Benedict

Director of Athletics

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Sucks but not surprising. I'm sure our loss on Saturday to Maryland didn't help - but I doubt it mattered that much. We are still the top athletic brand in the northeast and the #25 most applied to school (in 2023) in the country. We will get to a power conference.

Reaction Score
I'm done following CR. I have finally had enough.

And another thing. The ACC could make a yuge statement. Bring in UConn. Show Yormark and the XII that the ACC is the conference with cajones. Make the ACC the best basketball conference while owning NYC. And give FSU another program it might beat. Win-Win-Win.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What UConn needs to figure out is who the rats are the ship
And then they need to be fired. I'm not joking. If you screw up, deliberately or otherwise, a 8 figure deal in most companies, it gets you fired. If someone leaked this information to try to prevent the move from happening, they need to go.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Now is the time for Lamont and co. to negotiate with ESPN to get us into the ACC

At least, this would be my first priority if I was Benedict
this would be a very wise idea. Even if we slowly added football and first had a scheduling alliance.

Reaction Score
I'm done following CR. I have finally had enough.

And another thing. The ACC could make a yuge statement. Bring in UConn. Show Yormark and the XII that the ACC is the conference with cajones. Make the ACC the best basketball conference while owning NYC. And give FSU another program it might beat. Win-Win-Win.
Doubtful that'll ever happen

Reaction Score
And then they need to be fired. I'm not joking. If you screw up, deliberately or otherwise, a 8 figure deal in most companies, it gets you fired. If someone leaked this information to try to prevent the move from happening, they need to go.
I don't think you understand. The strongest clique in the AD is hoops based and they are dead set against a B12 move. You will NEVER uncover who leaked.

Reaction Score
Presidents are fine. It’s the ADs advising. There is a segment of the big 12, especially culturally, that doesn’t want to engage with the Northeast.

It’s a definite anti-Northeast bias that exists I. College athletics. It’s why UConn is universally loathed in the industry for its success.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't think you understand. The strongest clique in the AD is hoops based and they are dead set against a B12 move. You will NEVER uncover who leaked.
Well, most of the AD office are Benedict guys in the senior positions. Assuming it's happening lower than that, there are ways to find out who it is.

Minimally, in the near term, there needs to be a clear communication that the dissemination of information through other than official channels is a fireable offense.

CL82

Reaction Score
Presidents are fine. It’s the ADs advising. There is a segment of the big 12, especially culturally, that doesn’t want to engage with the Northeast.

It’s a definite anti-Northeast bias that exists I. College athletics. It’s why UConn is universally loathed in the industry for its success.
The last sentence I think is a bridge too far, but in the prior round of big 12 dalliance, I remember some references to "fit" and "eastern culture".

We need to circulate this video more, or have an edited version added to our package:

(And, yes, I fully realize this isn't the "culture" issue you are referencing.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course, there isn't gonna be a next time. Unless the men threepeat and the women win too. That may force someone's hand.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom