Next seasons' lineup will continue to make other teams lose their minds... | The Boneyard

Next seasons' lineup will continue to make other teams lose their minds...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yes I know we are just barely starting this season, but given that we know know where almost everyone in the class of 2018 is going (with the exception of Eziyoda Magbegor), how about this crazy depth chart?

It can't be over stated what losing Kia and Gabby will mean for next years' team, so I don't want to gloss over it but...

SR: Stevens, Lou, Collier
JR: Camara, Danger, Bent, Irwin
SO: Walker, Coombs, E-H, Gordon
FR: Williams, ONO

I don't think there will be nearly as much debate over who starts next season - 3 legit NPOY candidates (Stevens, Lou, Collier), one of the best PG's in the nation (Danger) and the #1 recruit in her class (Walker).

Off the bench in no particular order; Camara, Coombs, Williams, ONO, E-H, Bent, Irwin, Gordon. We always wonder at the start of the season just how deep Geno will go. Assuming the current freshmen make some kind of sophomore leap, I think Coombs will shine, and E-H/Gordon should be much improved too. Hopefully Batouly is 100% health and ready to contribute. I could see Geno going a legit 10 deep, even in fairly competitive games. He probably won't, but the talent will be there.

I can't help but think that for the next 2 years, UCONN will emphatically dominate the landscape. So many top teams lose so much next year, including UCONN, but NO ONE has re-stocked with the ferocity and talent that UCONN has...

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Very impressive roster! Ezi is still on the radar screen too, and she looks pretty awesome from what little I have seen.

Stevens returning is important, of course, and those of us reading the tea leaves believe (at this point, at least) she will return. Ono gives downside protection if Z does not, but the hope is that she can learn from Z next year and be ready to assume a large role as a sophomore.

Going 10 deep would be very unusual, in big games he rarely goes deeper than eight. In national championship games decided by ten points or less, he has never used more than seven players.

Even with the increased depth this year looks like seven will get almost all the minutes, maybe eight when Batouly returns. The "problem" is the starters are so good, and are willing and able to play 30+ minutes a game. So the question would be whether the reserves could keep things going without a significant dropoff by Geno`s standards. I hope you are correct and he feels comfortable going 10 deep in 2018-2019. Plethora of talent, no doubt.

Walker has looked very impressive thus far, especially defensively, but at this point appears to be more of a scorer than a shooter. Williams should challenge for minutes there, and ultimately Walker will likely start at the three when Lou graduates, with Williams at the two.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I could see Geno going a legit 10 deep, even in fairly competitive games. He probably won't, but the talent will be there.

You're right. He most likely won't because he says you get no offensive flow with too much substitution. I suspect this year and next we will see a lot of second team play in the second half, with 1 or 2 first teamers on the floor.

Reaction Score
Are you new here? :)

That 5th spot may have some debate. Depends on how this season plays out.
And then there's the fact that Azura could always go pro.
I want to like your post because it is sooo true but my heart is too invested in her staying!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Very impressive roster! Ezi is still on the radar screen too, and she looks pretty awesome from what little I have seen.

Stevens returning is important, of course, and those of us reading the tea leaves believe (at this point, at least) she will return. Ono gives downside protection if Z does not, but the hope is that she can learn from Z next year and be ready to assume a large role as a sophomore.

Going 10 deep would be very unusual, in big games he rarely goes deeper than eight. In national championship games decided by ten points or less, he has never used more than seven players.

Even with the increased depth this year looks like seven will get almost all the minutes, maybe eight when Batouly returns. The "problem" is the starters are so good, and are willing and able to play 30+ minutes a game. So the question would be whether the reserves could keep things going without a significant dropoff by Geno`s standards. I hope you are correct and he feels comfortable going 10 deep in 2018-2019. Plethora of talent, no doubt.

Walker has looked very impressive thus far, especially defensively, but at this point appears to be more of a scorer than a shooter. Williams should challenge for minutes there, and ultimately Walker will likely start at the three when Lou graduates, with Williams at the two.

There will be two openings in the starting lineup next year. Walker WILL get one of them. The question is who will get the other one. Azura has indicated (so far) that she is coming back next year. Soooooo I'm guessing and assuming that she will get the other spot. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom