Next Season | The Boneyard

Next Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

For those who have been eagerly waiting for my over-all breakdown of next season - that won't be until late summer or early fall.

One observation though now - Has the game changed so much that you don't need an enforcer or at least a couple of your top players that could overpower the other team up front?

I hear all this stretch 4 stuff and interchangeable dudes but still looks like LeBron at crunch time will use his overwhelming strength and skill to take it all.

I remember in 2004 when we had guys who actually pushed each other in the weight room - Emeka, Ben and Hilton come to mind. And yes we had an NBA stretch 4 Charlie but to earn time he had to rebound.

When Calhoun searched for a weakness in 2004 that other teams might exploit - it always got back to his concerned he did not have a guy who as he would say - get in a fight in the parking lot after the game. LOL how often does that happen in college basketball? But, we knew what Coach meant and he would make sure guys knew they had to step up their physical toughness. I remember that Okafor rebound late in the game against Duke where he just took the ball away from the Duke guys.

So we have some great talent but who are the guys that Travis is going to transform using his academic theories? So that we will have some bad dudes up front. Unfortunately, I am having trouble visualizing that given the priority given to pure explosive power strength vs flexibility or conditioning based on Travis's theories.

This is not meant as a criticism but a challenge - if guys started really seriously lifting this June - they could prove me wrong. They may have to do that on there own in addition to their conditioning and flexibility mandatory training. But, let's do it!

Reaction Score
I hope this is an unfortunate coincidence and not an invitation to pile on Zack Brown, who apparently was willing to fight after the game because he left PSA because of it.

Further, Travis Ilian should get some credit for the players conditioning in the NCG vs. KY and the 4 OT game vs. Cinci. At the end of both games our opponents were empty.

Despite gymnastics on his resume, there is also Alabama and the strength and conditioning staff there seems to bulk up the Tide pretty well.

I'm happy with KO's hiring of Ilian and his farewell to Brown. I won't be blaming him because Amida didn't grow Emeka sized shoulders.

Reaction Score
I hope this is an unfortunate coincidence and not an invitation to pile on Zack Brown, who apparently was willing to fight after the game because he left PSA because of it.

Further, Travis Ilian should get some credit for the players conditioning in the NCG vs. KY and the 4 OT game vs. Cinci. At the end of both games our opponents were empty.

Despite gymnastics on his resume, there is also Alabama and the strength and conditioning staff there seems to bulk up the Tide pretty well.

I'm happy with KO's hiring of Ilian and his farewell to Brown. I won't be blaming him because Amida didn't grow Emeka sized shoulders.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
"Pure explosive power strength"

We're now up to 3 adjectives. How many can Chief get to before the start of the season to hammer this nail down for us?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

We're now up to 3 adjectives. How many can Chief get to before the start of the season to hammer this nail down for us?

I've always looked at 'power strength' as one word in my head. More amusing to me to say it 'powerstrength'.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Not sure which one to reply to, but this can't be said enough.

Travis's work is directly (not solely) responsible for one National Championship under the new regime.

Reaction Score
"One observation though now - Has the game changed so much that you don't need an enforcer or at least a couple of your top players that could overpower the other team up front?"

Yes the game changed where you actually don't need one of those to win it and you can win with a stretch 4. See 2014 title team, if you have top backcourt a skilled stretch 4 and a good defense you can win. The 2014 team dominated a much bigger/power strong Iowa State, Michigan State, Florida and Kentucky team.

Reaction Score
Chief, why the hell are you wasting your breath on us nobodies? Just go tell KO and JC and Travis and Herbst and Drumm and Bunky and Bunky's fourth uncle twice removed yourself. I'm sure they're all just a speed dial away, right?

Reaction Score
It would be nice to have a beast, an enforcer, some muscle and power down low. Why can't it be Enoch?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Pure explosive power . . . Diarra

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Even for an off-season thread, this is poor and pointless.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, don't worry I will only respond once to your numerous posts:
- Read my historic posts - I have always given Travis credit for conditioning and flexibility training. My problem with him - is the muscle thing doesn't pass the eye test or the rebounding results. When you miss rebounding the opponent's foul shots as many times as we did last year with our guys getting manhandled out of the way - it's frankly unacceptable. I wish someone had a statistic for that - I don't blame this all on Travis - of course, the coaches and primarily the players must take the bulk of the blame.
- To the best of my knowledge, Travis IIian had no connection to the Tide football team. So I don't understand where you are going there?
- I don't know all the circumstances of the post PSA game fight - I do think this armed robbery thing is quite different and is at another level.
- Hopefully, this information helps.

C

Chief00

Chief, why the hell are you wasting your breath on us nobodies? Just go tell KO and JC and Travis and Herbst and Drumm and Bunky and Bunky's fourth uncle twice removed yourself. I'm sure they're all just a speed dial away, right?

Bunk's fourth uncle twice removed? Sorry don't know him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom