Next Season Line Ups | The Boneyard

Next Season Line Ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn will have numerous different line ups they can use big or small even fast and athletic. Which players are you most looking to see on the court together?
Jefferson
KLS
Collier
Stewie
Tuck

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
To be honest, I look most forward to seeing lineups that work well and allow for beautiful basketball. Also, obviously I'm super excited to see the newbies but a few thoughts...

Looking forward to seeing if Moriah can actually get any better for her senior year
Looking forward to hopefully a consistent and outstanding senior campaign for Stewie
Looking forward to seeing Tuck be even better than she already is (if that's possible)
Hoping to see more growth from Saniya
Super excited to see the "sophomore leap" in talent, etc. for Kia and Gabby.
Hoping Courtney is 100% healthy and in great shape and can really contribute (because I think competition from Collier and KLS will be off the charts)
And of course I can't wait to see the 4 new fresh faces.

I still think the starting lineup will be Mo, Kia, Napheesa/KLS, Tuck and Stewie, but it also could easily be Mo, Kia, Morgan, Stewie and Natalie. When you add 4 new faces, all of who have a lot of hype in different ways, it's exciting to think about, but you also have to remember that these kids are just freshmen and it's RARE to have freshmen as composed as Kia, or who improve as rapidly as Gabby.

Just look at the "highly" heralded Tennessee "freshmen"... Dunbar and Tucker didn't see the court vs. ND (is Tucker injured again), and Middleton and Nared combined for 15 minutes and 0 points. I don't say this to criticize, but Tucker was a top 10 kid as was Nared, and Tenn fans swore that Middleton outplayed all the other guards ranked ahead of her (Canada, Atkins, Mitchell, Caldwell) and big things were expected from her.

UCONN is fortunate in that we don't "need" the freshmen per se... Saniya certainly could start as a 3 guard lineup with Tuck and Stewie. I think that's unlikely, but it's possible. And I think it's pretty clear that KLS and Collier are "Nurse"-like in that they are really really good. I think Collier has a better shot at starting because I think she's in better physical shape and her skills are more "mature" against older kids.

Anyway super excited for next year... while still being over the moon for this year...

Reaction Score
I'm most looking forward to the starting lineup

Jefferson
Nurse
Butler
Stewart
Tuck

Because they will break games open early and then we can see different combinations.

Reaction Score
Anyway the NCAA would allow us to enter two teams in the tourney?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
One thing I'm pretty sure of: the coaches will "discover" next year that Gabby Williams is a guard. I wouldn't be surprised to find that she is the first backup to Moriah and Kia, with Saniya the second choice. With all the front court depth next year, there will be no room for Gabby in the front court, just as there appeared to be no room for her at guard this year. So if she is to get minutes (and she will get minutes), she will have to be a guard next year.

It's fortunate that she can play so well in both roles.

My other guess is that Natalie will NOT start, and that she will fill almost the exact role that Kiah Stokes is handling this year. She won't block as many shots, but hopefully she will rebound about as well, play post defense as well, and offer a little more offense than Kiah.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
One thing I'm pretty sure of: the coaches will "discover" next year that Gabby Williams is a guard.

I'd be rather surprised by this, as would Gabby Williams herself who said she doubts she plays guard against while at UConn.

Minutes are going to be an issue with so much talent, but positional labels can all but be thrown out the window. For instance, it's likely KLS will bring the ball up the floor some, play both on the wing and in the post on offense, but not defend guards on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
Breanna, Morgan, Moriah, Kia and Natalie will be the starting five. Expect Gabby to get a lot of minutes. Katie Lou, Napheesa and De'Janae will be fighting for minutes depending upon how they practice. Freshman soon realize UConn isn't like anything they've been a part of.

Reaction Score
I would think the starting lineup would be the same as this year with Butler replacing KML, at least initially.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind seeing a really fast line up for a short while utilizing three guards Moriah, Kia, and Gabby since we know she can hang with the big girls. You pick the other two quick post players.

Reaction Score
I'd be rather surprised by this, as would Gabby Williams herself who said she doubts she plays guard against while at UConn.

Minutes are going to be an issue with so much talent, but positional labels can all but be thrown out the window. For instance, it's likely KLS will bring the ball up the floor some, play both on the wing and in the post on offense, but not defend guards on the perimeter.

I'm with ya on paragraph 1. Para 2 - I don't see her bringing the ball up - setting up the offense. I've only seen her a few minutes this past year but KLS doesn't look like she can be any form of a setup pg.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I'm most looking forward to the starting lineup

Jefferson
Nurse
Butler
Stewart
Tuck

Because they will break games open early and then we can see different combinations.
This is the most logical or best guess Starting Line Up. But how great is it going to be to see all the options we'll have re KLS, Collier and especially Gabby having a full addl year of B Ball under her belt. I hope she has the ability to become and can become more of a combo guard.
If she can accomplish this, then she can rotate in and out for our two starting guards with Saniya. That will allow our 3 new freshmen to get as much playing time as possible. Next years team is already a total match up nightmare. Butler coming in experienced in our system with 3 new thorobreds, and 4 starters returning-OMG!!!!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I've only seen her a few minutes this past year but KLS doesn't look like she can be any form of a setup pg.

I don't think she'll play PG in the halfcourt, but wouldn't be shocked if she brought the ball up some. Maybe not, but she could if teams try and press. She actually handles the ball well, not elite PG well, but better than KML, no offense to her.

Reaction Score
KLS brought the ball and originated the offense for the U17 team so I'm sure she can do some of that. For UConn as well if needed.

Reaction Score
The nice thing for next season is that Geno will have many choices of lineups (big team, defensive team, athletic team, offense oriented team, etc). He'll earn his pay next season by somehow keeping all those amazing players happy and playing as a cohesive unit :)

Reaction Score

Do you really think that KLS can bring the ball up? The player I saw last summer in 3X3 and 5s cannot handle the ball with the talented guards to be found in D1. Yes, she may have been good at breaking press then and in H.S, but guards like Jefferson would make a mockrey of her. Nor will she be physically ready (even mush less so then Stewart) as a freshman to play inside and rebound. I might be wrong, but I do not recall her as a player that could break a defender down (Gabby, Collier, etc) for her shots. Things being said here remind me of the great plans many had for one of our current freshmen who was also a great shooter in HS (and might well be at the college level, but not right away). Personally, I have no idea who would start as there are many combinations on paper. But how the positions- player/time of KML and Stokes- are treated will be interesting.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Do you really think that KLS can bring the ball up? The player I saw last summer in 3X3 and 5s cannot handle the ball with the talented guards to be found in D1. Yes, she may have been good at breaking press then and in H.S, but guards like Jefferson would make a mockrey of her. Nor will she be physically ready (even mush less so then Stewart) as a freshman to play inside and rebound. I might be wrong, but I do not recall her as a player that could break a defender down (Gabby, Collier, etc) for her shots. Things being said here remind me of the great plans many had for one of our current freshmen who was also a great shooter in HS (and might well be at the college level, but not right away). Personally, I have no idea who would start as there are many combinations on paper. But how the positions- player/time of KML and Stokes- are treated will be interesting.

I actually do think KLS can bring the ball up some. Not sure if she will, but she can handle the ball around the perimeter a bit better than KML from what I've seen which, granted, isn't a ton. You're right that a guard like Jefferson would drive her nuts but there aren't many guards like Jefferson.

I think she can play inside though not in the way Morgan Tuck does--I don't mean 1-on-1 post moves. I've seen Lou user her height and length to get passes over the top of defenders and move without the ball.

I think you are referring to Ekmark in your comments, but Lou is far quicker and more athletic, has a better handle, and is about 4 inches taller. You'll be surprised by her offensive versatility. She's not a spot-up shooter.

Reaction Score
To be honest, I look most forward to seeing lineups that work well and allow for beautiful basketball. Also, obviously I'm super excited to see the newbies but a few thoughts...

Looking forward to seeing if Moriah can actually get any better for her senior year
Looking forward to hopefully a consistent and outstanding senior campaign for Stewie
Looking forward to seeing Tuck be even better than she already is (if that's possible)
Hoping to see more growth from Saniya
Super excited to see the "sophomore leap" in talent, etc. for Kia and Gabby.
Hoping Courtney is 100% healthy and in great shape and can really contribute (because I think competition from Collier and KLS will be off the charts)
And of course I can't wait to see the 4 new fresh faces.

I still think the starting lineup will be Mo, Kia, Napheesa/KLS, Tuck and Stewie, but it also could easily be Mo, Kia, Morgan, Stewie and Natalie. When you add 4 new faces, all of who have a lot of hype in different ways, it's exciting to think about, but you also have to remember that these kids are just freshmen and it's RARE to have freshmen as composed as Kia, or who improve as rapidly as Gabby.

Just look at the "highly" heralded Tennessee "freshmen"... Dunbar and Tucker didn't see the court vs. ND (is Tucker injured again), and Middleton and Nared combined for 15 minutes and 0 points. I don't say this to criticize, but Tucker was a top 10 kid as was Nared, and Tenn fans swore that Middleton outplayed all the other guards ranked ahead of her (Canada, Atkins, Mitchell, Caldwell) and big things were expected from her.

UCONN is fortunate in that we don't "need" the freshmen per se... Saniya certainly could start as a 3 guard lineup with Tuck and Stewie. I think that's unlikely, but it's possible. And I think it's pretty clear that KLS and Collier are "Nurse"-like in that they are really really good. I think Collier has a better shot at starting because I think she's in better physical shape and her skills are more "mature" against older kids.

Anyway super excited for next year... while still being over the moon for this year...

I'm going to borrow ideas from a few posts in this thread.
From EricSD.
If the starting lineup is Jefferson, Nurse, Stewart, Tuck and KLS/Collier then we could sub the entire front court with Butler, Boykin and the non starter of KLS/Collier. Though I don't know if Geno would subscribe to the "Kentucky" substitute pattern.
From JoeP
I too see Williams playing guard next year. There will be a much greater need for backcourt help than frontcourt help next year and I think Gabby is the best suited to defend against the oppositions guards.
From SLU
I agree that positional labels will be clouded. Say Williams subs in for Nurse. While she will be defending the oppositions guard, she will likely post down low on offense while the wing will stay outside for court balance. Taking advantage of what each player does best.

The lineups would/could look like this:
Jefferson Chong
Nurse Williams
Stewart Butler
Tuck Boykin
KLS/Collier KLS/Collier
Just one of many possibilities.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't think she'll play PG in the halfcourt, but wouldn't be shocked if she brought the ball up some. Maybe not, but she could if teams try and press. She actually handles the ball well, not elite PG well, but better than KML, no offense to her.
Who the heck is gonna try and press us with Jefferson and Nurse (and Stewart)?? I mean to a point where it actually bothers us enough to bring in a FR to break the press?? :confused: Is the WNBA putting a team in next year?? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom