Next Monday American Basketball Media Day (Predictions) | The Boneyard

Next Monday American Basketball Media Day (Predictions)

Reaction Score
Props to @tcf15 for confirming this. Next Monday is basketball media day in Philadelphia. With a week to go, what is everyones prediction for the preseason coaches poll? Not saying this is how I would personally rank teams, but I believe coaches will go in this order:

1. Cincinnati
2. Houston
3. UCF
4. Witchia State
5. SMU
6. UConn
7. Memphis
8. Temple
9. Tulsa
10. Tulane
11. East Carolina
12. USF

My order would be the following:

1. Cincinnati
2. Houston
3. UConn
4. SMU
5. UCF
6. Memphis
7. Witchia State
8. Temple
9. Tulsa
10. Tulane
11. East Carolina
12. USF

I am higher on UConn and SMU than I am on UCF, Temple or Witchia. Memphis is a total wild card for me. They played an easy league schedule last year and Penny has never coached a game of Divison 1 ball. But they have talent and the best recruiting class coming in this year. If Foster is healthy for SMU they have a solid starting 5. I am higher than us than some, with the caveat being Gilbert is healthy and productive.

Think UCF is being overhyped, and I need to see them stay healthy. Witchia has talent and a great coach, but tough to overturn basically your whole roster. Again league is wide open.

Reaction Score
Think UCF is being overhyped, and I need to see them stay healthy. Witchia has talent and a great coach, but tough to overturn basically your whole roster. Again league is wide open.

UCF was quite good last year with Fall healthy. Top 60ish in the country. They fell 50 KenPom spots after he went out and BJ came back.

BJ struggled a bit, especially with his finishing in the paint. Makes sense coming off a foot injury and coming in cold. The latter explanation might work better for why his FT% slipped. His playmaking was good, though. He'll be better this year.

They lose very little and will have 9 juniors and senior (equivalents) in their rotation. Could conceivably start 5 4+year players (Taylor, Dawkins, Griffin, Brown, and Fall), although Dejesus will probably start instead of Brown.

It's reasonable to want to see them healthy, but they had 4 major injuries including to arguably their 3 best players and finished 9-9 in conference. Even if 1 re-occurs, as long as it's not to Fall (which if we're being fair is probably the most likely), they'll be more than fine.

Considering how down the conference is, I would be very surprised if they finished outside the top 4 . I'm putting them #1.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
1. Cincinnati
2. UCF
3. Houston
4. Wichita State
5. UConn
6. Memphis
7. Tulsa
8. SMU
9. Temple
10. East Carolina
11. Tulane
12. USF

Reaction Score
1) Houston
2) Cincy
3) UConn
4) UCF
5) Memphis
6) Wichita State
7) SMU
8) Temple
9) Tulsa
10) ECU
11) Tulane
12) USF

This conference should be pretty deep this year. Could see anyone in the top ~8 making the NIT or better, but I question how good the top will be.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Going into media day there’s one thing that’s a lock. Jalen Adams as Conference Preseason Player of the Year.

Hope so, but Cumberland will get votes, along with BJ.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My order

#1 UCF
#2 UConn
#3 Memphis
#4 Cinci
#5 Houston
#6 Wichita State
#7 SMU
#8 Temple

The rest don't matter. That being said, I doubt that the separation between 1 and 8 will be more than a few games. I expect a logjam at the top.

Reaction Score
I’m already looking forward to riding Cronin about Jalen > Cumberland and maybe he’ll get pissed again And storm off like last year when i told him Bazz > Kilpatrick at our local UCF game! Love the leprechaun!

Reaction Score
Most of the fans in Cincinnati are not expecting the Bearcats to be at the top this year. Losing Clark and Evans is a lot to account for..... I was thinking they’d be 3 or 4 right along with the Huskies. Most UC fans are looking forward to the renovated arena honestly although still expect the NCAA tournament

Reaction Score
1) Houston
2) Cincy
3) UConn
4) UCF
5) Memphis
6) Wichita State
7) SMU
8) Temple
9) Tulsa
10) ECU
11) Tulane
12) USF

This conference should be pretty deep this year. Could see anyone in the top ~8 making the NIT or better, but I question how good the top will be.

Liked your top take on the top 6 or 8 programs having preseason legit shots at NIT or better. AAC is on the rise, slow but sure.

Anyway, I don't put too much stock in my conference rankings here but wanted to take a shot at it. We should have a pool on this.

1 UConn
2 Cincinnati
3 Houston
4 Wichita State
5 UCF
6 SMU
7 Temple
8 Tulsa
9 Memphis
10 Tulane
11 ECU
12 USF

Reaction Score
Every time I go into a Krausers market I think of good old Carl. Can't help it.
I always refer to that place as “Carl” Krauser’s. I just cant help it...

Reaction Score
It’s pretty open. I’d bet money that none of these predictions are right by seasons end. But here’s mine for fun.

1. UCF
2. Houston
3. Cinci
4. UConn
5. Memphis
6. SMU
7. Tulsa
8. WSU
9. Temple
10. ECU
11. Tulane
12. USF

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
biggest questions: will we average more than 60 ppg in conference play? will we score more than 60 points in any road conference game?

Reaction Score
biggest questions: will we average more than 60 ppg in conference play? will we score more than 60 points in any road conference game?
We know what that feels like!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Really curious to see what your Bearcats have this year, and what we have, and Memphis, and Houston. It's wide open. I think it's going to be entertaining for all of us.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Really curious to see what your Bearcats have this year, and what we have, and Memphis, and Houston. It's wide open. I think it's going to be entertaining for all of us.
think we're gonna be kind of like the team we had the year Mick was out sick the only difference being we have an all-conference player in Cumberland. that team finished 3rd in the AAC (lost on the Boatwright game winner in Hartford...kill me pls) and was an 8 seed that gave the 38-1 Kentucky team a game for about 28 minutes. im thinking around the same for this squad.

Reaction Score
Borges prediction:

1. Houston
2. Cincinnati
3. UCF
4. UConn
5. SMU
6. Witchia State
7. Temple
8. Memphis
9. Tulsa
10. Tulane
11. ECU
12. USF

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
1) Houston
2) Cincy
3) UConn
4) UCF
5) Memphis
6) Wichita State
7) SMU
8) Temple
9) Tulsa
10) ECU
11) Tulane
12) USF

Deep....but not good. It's very weak this year.

Reaction Score
My order:

1) UCF - so much talent returns and Aubrey Dawkins and Collin Smith provide good depth as transfers.

2) Houston - Yes, Gray is gone but so much talent returns. I really like Brooks/Davis/Robinson as their trio of ball-handlers, Hinton is a good freshman incomer and curious about Gresham/Jarreau duo to provide good depth

3) UConn - Best team in the world.

4) Memphis - Returning top-4 scorers are all seniors, Martin might be the best player in the AAC and they have a very good freshman class. Watch out.

5) Cincy - Like their returning guards in Cumberland/Brooms/Jenifer but lots of question marks after that. Fredricks and Johnson should be good, but who knows

6) SMU - Foster is one of the most underrated players in AAC and I think Nat Dixon will be a big time transfer. Young team, but more depth from last year

7) Temple - I really like the Rose/Alston/Pierre-Louis backcourt trio to lead Dumphy's last season as coach. Lots of questions in their frontcourt, but also lots of options to try to iron out and see who deserves the real minutes.

8) Wichita State - So much talent lost. Yes, McDuffie is talented, but counting on a lot of JUCO talent to lead team

9) Tulsa - Nice mix of Taplin as their PG, Jeffries as their top wing and Igbanu as their center. Could surprise this year.

10) Tulane - Weird roster with lots of size and no real PG. Good matchup for Whaley to play lots of minutes on Sehic, their best player

11) USF - They might have something in David Collins and Rideau is a transfer who will be expected to jump right in and be the lead guard.

12) East Carolina - such a bad shooting team but I believe in Shawn Williams.

Last edited:

xclamations

*Raspberries*
Reaction Score
On paper:
1. UCF
2. Cincy
3. Houston
4. Wichita State
5. UConn
6. Memphis
7. SMU