Next Administrative Move | The Boneyard

Next Administrative Move

Reaction Score
Monster job by the athletic department this week. I've been critical of AD Dave on this site in the past (predominately because of the contract extension that may prove costly). But if he was able to raise enough private money during the final innings of this negotiation to win Dan Hurley, he deserves major credit. I stand corrected. Job well done.

From an administrative perspective, its clear their main focus turns to mitigating the KO buyout. But after that, I expect a push to join the Big East. Pure speculation, but I imagine private donors did not just hand over millions without asking for something. And in order to earn a real return on investment, I can see them asking for the athletic department to go full court press on the Big East. Also view that as a carrot to lure Hurley.

Any thoughts or insider info on if donations/hurley came with promises of making a pitch towards joining the BE?

Reaction Score
Monster job by the athletic department this week. I've been critical of AD Dave on this site in the past (predominately because of the contract extension that may prove costly). But if he was able to raise enough private money during the final innings of this negotiation to win Dan Hurley, he deserves major credit. I stand corrected. Job well done.

From an administrative perspective, its clear their main focus turns to mitigating the KO buyout. But after that, I expect a push to join the Big East. Pure speculation, but I imagine private donors did not just hand over millions without asking for something. And in order to earn a real return on investment, I can see them asking for the athletic department to go full court press on the Big East. Also view that as a carrot to lure Hurley.

Any thoughts or insider info on if donations/hurley came with promises of making a pitch towards joining the BE?
This has been discussed ad nauseum:

It's a better basketball conference, to be sure, but what do you do with football? Independence is death to the football team. Death to the football team is death to any hopes of getting in the P5 in the next shakeup. Not getting into a P5 in the next shakeup is death to the AD.

Reaction Score
This has been discussed ad nauseum:

It's a better basketball conference, to be sure, but what do you do with football? Independence is death to the football team. Death to the football team is death to any hopes of getting in the P5 in the next shakeup. Not getting into a P5 in the next shakeup is death to the AD.
I'll add that the AAC is actually a pretty good football conference and if UConn can get some traction people will show up to watch them play against some of these teams. They had UCF, Houston, USF, Memphis, Navy, Temple all ranked at various times (just off the top of my head) in the last two years or so. You stick the program in the "MAC" and it may as well be independent.

The AAC is clearly a step down from the BE in basketball, but it has the potential to be roughly equivalent to the PAC or the SEC (though that league got really good in the last two years or so).

Reaction Score
If you have a winning team people will show up in football and basketball. Plus the big East and Villanova will never be able to make more money then what they make now. We at least have a chance to someday.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Big East is a death sentence for all the programs, basketball included. Let’s win this league (regular season) at least once before declaring we are too good for it. The fans will be back next year to see exciting, competently played basketball.

The Gap between the Bug East and American is not a large one, not once UConn is back, and it is smaller still if Memphis steps up as well.

Reaction Score
If some donor gave Villanova enough money to build a 40k football stadium and said I'll build it for you but you have to join a football conference and leave the big east. They would be in the American within a year doing what we ucf,usf. Cindy, houston are doing. Winning for the concerned but looking for the P5 opening .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom