Newton's role and scoring | The Boneyard

Newton's role and scoring

Reaction Score
Something feels off with our guard play since the Big East season started. Jackson is just not a natural scorer. He's a demon all over the court and he's passing it great with hardly any turnovers. His points should come off of dunks and open threes, we all hope for more driving and finishing but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards. Newton is a natural scorer and he looks like he's neutered out there by being turned into a point guard who is looking to pass at all costs now. Even on some of his shots it looks like he is between passing and shooting and shoots it as an afterthought as he's coming down or gets caught in the air and throws it away...

I liked what I saw when Newton was off the ball for small stretches with Diarra or Jackson playing point. Scoring is too difficult for us for Newton to remain this guy who doesn't look to score. Right now it's basically just throw it into Sanogo for him to do his pirouettes, Hawkins coming off screens for threes or a dribble into a foul line pull up and pass it around for a three...the scout is out on us and coaches are all going to gameplan to take away Sanogo with doubles and to blanket Hawkins all game. With Newton not even looking to score/only taking 5 shots per game we become a much easier team to guard.

I'm not saying Newton should never play point or give up on passing, he makes some very good looks but I want to see Jackson and Diarra running more point/setting guys up more and Newton looking to score...

We discussed point guard play so much heading into the season because we always had an AJ, RJ, Kemba, Bazz, Marcus Williams etc. We don't have that now, we have three guys who can share it but Newton's role needs to be more scoring than facilitating for this team to go as far as it can go, IMO.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Something feels off with our guard play since the Big East season started. Jackson is just not a natural scorer. He's a demon all over the court and he's passing it great with hardly any turnovers. His points should come off of dunks and open threes, we all hope for more driving and finishing but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards. Newton is a natural scorer and he looks like he's neutered out there by being turned into a point guard who is looking to pass at all costs now. Even on some of his shots it looks like he is between passing and shooting and shoots it as an afterthought as he's coming down or gets caught in the air and throws it away...

I liked what I saw when Newton was off the ball for small stretches with Diarra or Jackson playing point. Scoring is too difficult for us for Newton to remain this guy who doesn't look to score. Right now it's basically just throw it into Sanogo for him to do his pirouettes, Hawkins coming off screens for threes or a dribble into a foul line pull up and pass it around for a three...the scout is out on us and coaches are all going to gameplan to take away Sanogo with doubles and to blanket Hawkins all game. With Newton not even looking to score/only taking 5 shots per game we become a much easier team to guard.

I'm not saying Newton should never play point or give up on passing, he makes some very good looks but I want to see Jackson and Diarra running more point/setting guys up more and Newton looking to score...

We discussed point guard play so much heading into the season because we always had an AJ, RJ, Kemba, Bazz, Marcus Williams etc. We don't have that now, we have three guys who can share it but Newton's role needs to be more scoring than facilitating for this team to go as far as it can go, IMO.
No hard disagreement, but I'd be happy to see him start by re-establishing himself as a threat to live at the free throw line. Or at least prove me wrong by observing that this cannot happen.

I know that it was against Buffalo, but I saw Newton take a 2-9 first half FG shooting performance and turn it into a triple-double with 12-14 foul shots made.

The highest collateral upside of this is the possibility of showing Hawkins and Jackson what it actually looks like. In other words, leading by example.

Reaction Score
Newton had a knack for drawing fouls the first 8-10 games, but we have not seen that as much recently. This is a strength of his and he should look to be more aggressive driving to the hoop to create contact. He can easily get another 6-8 points a game this way.

Reaction Score
Newton had a knack for drawing fouls the first 8-10 games, but we have not seen that as much recently. This is a strength of his and he should look to be more aggressive driving to the hoop to create contact. He can easily get another 6-8 points a game this way.
He's not getting the whistle. Maybe it's BE refs vs. OOC refs, but the same drives where he'd draw fouls on the floor or at the rim, he's not getting those calls. There was a pretty egregious example yesterday.

Reaction Score
No hard disagreement, but I'd be happy to see him start by re-establishing himself as a threat to live at the free throw line. Or at least prove me wrong by observing that this cannot happen.

I know that it was against Buffalo, but I saw Newton take a 2-9 first half FG shooting performance and turn it into a triple-double with 12-14 foul shots made.

The highest collateral upside of this is the possibility of showing Hawkins and Jackson what it actually looks like. In other words, leading by example.
I recall 3 maybe 4 times Newton got into the paint and then had no idea what he wanted to do. Those were 2nd half possessions.

Hawkins is mainly a jump shooter, I don‘t see that changing, though he did have one excellent close with the left hand. I also don‘t think his handle to strong enough to support this type of game. AJ has difficulty scoring or attacking off the dribble, he can’t create space In that manner. He has to take what the D gives him.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He's not getting the whistle. Maybe it's BE refs vs. OOC refs, but the same drives where he'd draw fouls on the floor or at the rim, he's not getting those calls. There was a pretty egregious example yesterday.
I'm not saying you're incorrect so much as on the lookout for a larger sample size to confirm this.

In 2011, Kemba certainly got fewer calls in-Conference than out, and the 9-9 record before the BET concerned us.

The year ended with no OOC losses and 3 tournament championship.

I'm not pushing Newton as Kemba, but if this season shows a similar look, I'd be happy.

In the meantime, I still want to see if more driving to to hoop produces better individual & team results.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I recall 3 maybe 4 times Newton got into the paint and then had no idea what he wanted to do. Those were 2nd half possessions.
These possessions were brutal, bordering on "excruciating."

In the alternative, it could be argued that he knew exactly what he wanted to do - pass instead of shoot, no matter what - but didn't project a clear sense of to whom, for what purpose, or why.

Reaction Score

Don't disagree with you on much here--esp. re: Newton.. Newton is an unselfish player who I believe is still trying to find his niche within our team as the quality of guard play/wing play increases with BE teams. His D and boards are strong. I would like to see him going to the hole with the intent to score-1st..get fouled-2nd.. Dish and pass
when the extra pass has value for a teammate. Doesn't seem like his mindset is currently on scoring.. Think he's being a little too unselfish. When he doesn't look for his shots--The D knows he'll be looking to pass and pick him on occasion.

Diarra is a prototypical BE bench guard--a junk yard dog guard.. Who enjoys and welcomes the physicality of BE play.. A disruptor and aggressor.. You need this kind of energy/attitude in BE play. Looks to me like he's comfortable with the ball in his hands.

NA is playing strong D.. Getting his confidence back in his stroke and getting used to the pace of play.His teammates trust him.

In the minutes Joey gets.. He's got to be able separate himself from the D to get his shots.. Hustle his butt off on D to justify his minutes.

One comment of Andre.. in the last five minutes or so.. He was finding himself open--either thru X laying off of him or him getting to the ball quickly due to his athleticism.. No one was getting themselves open without the ball to even accept a pass-- And he had to be cognizant of the clock running down.. He had to do something. That has to change when there were better shooters on the floor .. They've got to use screens/improvise/get open in order to relieve him of that burden. Karaban would have helped--But on the bench with 5 fouls.

Too much talent among these guys not to adjust.. Expecting more intensity from them at Providence.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
2 for 3 on 3 point attempts.
7 assists to 4 turnovers. One of those was a kick out to a ref because Newton out of the corner of his eye thought it was our player.

Would like more from him but they are packing the lane to stop Sanogo, have an excellent shot blocker in Nunge plus the ref calls Tristan for a charge on a beautiful spin move with a Kunkle flop. Not as upset as many about how Newton is playing.

BTW Diarra with 1 assist on 2 turnovers. Love his play. A terrific backup but not at Newtons level.

Reaction Score
I really really hope this is something the coaches are aware of and are willing to adjust as needed.

Newton has the ability to get to the hoop. He just needs the green light from the coaches and his teammates to shoot it more unless there’s clearly a shooter open for 3. That’ll also cut down on a lot of his turnovers.

Reaction Score
Don't disagree with you on much here--esp. re: Newton.. Newton is an unselfish player who I believe is still trying to find his niche within our team as the quality of guard play/wing play increases with BE teams. His D and boards are strong. I would like to see him going to the hole with the intent to score-1st..get fouled-2nd.. Dish and pass
when the extra pass has value for a teammate. Doesn't seem like his mindset is currently on scoring.. Think he's being a little too unselfish. When he doesn't look for his shots--The D knows he'll be looking to pass and pick him on occasion.

Diarra is a prototypical BE bench guard--a junk yard dog guard.. Who enjoys and welcomes the physicality of BE play.. A disruptor and aggressor.. You need this kind of energy/attitude in BE play. Looks to me like he's comfortable with the ball in his hands.

NA is playing strong D.. Getting his confidence back in his stroke and getting used to the pace of play.His teammates trust him.

In the minutes Joey gets.. He's got to be able separate himself from the D to get his shots.. Hustle his butt off on D to justify his minutes.

One comment of Andre.. in the last five minutes or so.. He was finding himself open--either thru X laying off of him or him getting to the ball quickly due to his athleticism.. No one was getting themselves open without the ball to even accept a pass-- And he had to be cognizant of the clock running down.. He had to do something. That has to change when there were better shooters on the floor .. They've got to use screens/improvise/get open in order to relieve him of that burden. Karaban would have helped--But on the bench with 5 fouls.

Too much talent among these guys not to adjust.. Expecting more intensity from them at Providence.
Do teams leave him open hoping he will shoot 3’s at 31%? Seen it now the last 2 games. Does he have the green light from Hurley when they’re playing 5 on our remaining 4?

Reaction Score
He runs into the paint and jumps without a plan to shoot or pass. Decides as he is coming down...

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Earlier in the year when Jackson was out and easing his way back Newton took more of a lead on offense. Our best offense was Newton in transition setting up teammates, dribble penetration, kicks, hand offs, etc. Jackson has taken on more of an offensive role recently, playing a lot of point. Part of that is because he’s one of the only players who can consistently get entry passes to AS. I just felt like we were much more “under control” when Newton was setting up the offense every possession.

Reaction Score
Earlier in the year when Jackson was out and easing his way back Newton took more of a lead on offense. Our best offense was Newton in transition setting up teammates, dribble penetration, kicks, hand offs, etc. Jackson has taken on more of an offensive role recently, playing a lot of point. Part of that is because he’s one of the only players who can consistently get entry passes to AS. I just felt like we were much more “under control” when Newton was setting up the offense every possession.
You thought we were much more under control against Stonehill, Boston University, and Buffalo?

I thought we looked pretty under control against Oregon, Bama, Iowa State, Florida...the offense seemed to be flowing.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We shoulda brought in a natural rim attacking guard in the portal, once it became obvious Diggins wasn’t going to be that guy. But we still have the pieces to make a huge run this year. The defense and reffing was mostly responsible for the loss anyways.

Reaction Score
Part of the success for guards getting to the hole is having their Bigs seal off their defenders to create a lane to the hoop. Freemantle/Nunge/Hunter --for example-- did/do a great job of that for their teammates... BBIQ..Karaban was in and out of foul trouble and Sanogo tends to bring his guy to the ball. Ironically--the Big who does it the best for our team--Donovan-- is not getting as much PT as he deserves. End result-- Contested shots and crowded in the paint..

As talented as Sanogo is at certain skills... The nuances and subtleties of the game for the benefit of team success is occasionally lacking.. Nothing a film session and coaching up can't help.. Is a smart young man

Reaction Score
Do teams leave him open hoping he will shoot 3’s at 31%? Seen it now the last 2 games. Does he have the green light from Hurley when they’re playing 5 on our remaining 4?
IMO.. Do teams leave him alone? Yes.. So that they can throw 5 guys at our remaining 4.. And/or pack the paint vs Adama/Donovan.. Our shooters(and Dre) have to make them pay with made shots before they'll change that strategy.

DH likes "good threes".. What are good threes? In the flow of the game/open shots --Preferably with our better shooters taking the shots. We all know who the better shooters are on the team.. I give Dre credit for having the onions to take the shot when no other options present themselves. Does DH want this to happen a lot? Don't think so but he sees enough in practice from Dre to know he can bury a couple.

Reaction Score
He handled the ball more with AJax out injured and then working his way back in slowly. Had more opportunity to get fouled with added on-ball responsibilities early in the year. Now that AJax is back up to speed and is the main facilitator, Newton is just not part of the action quite as much as he was and that has tempered his agressiveness a bit it seems.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Hawkins is mainly a jump shooter, I don‘t see that changing, though he did have one excellent close with the left hand. I also don‘t think his handle to strong enough to support this type of game. AJ has difficulty scoring or attacking off the dribble, he can’t create space In that manner. He has to take what the D gives him.
Don't know about that there have been several eurosteps from AJ that have made the ESPN highlight reels

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom