Newton is a major indicator whether we win or lose | The Boneyard

Newton is a major indicator whether we win or lose

Reaction Score
Aside from the 2nd Xavier game, it's pretty evident that Tristan is the straw that stirs the drink. When he plays well, we are a top 5 team. When he doesn't, thanks to the opposition strengths, coaching strat or self-imposed limitations, well we are a top 40 team.

Screenshot 2023-03-11 141100.png

Reaction Score
Aside from the 2nd Xavier game, it's pretty evident that Tristan is the straw that stirs the drink. When he plays well, we are a top 5 team. When he doesn't, thanks to the opposition strengths, coaching strat or self-imposed limitations, well we are a top 40 team.

View attachment 84960
SplitValueGMPFGFGAFG%3P3PA3P%2P2PA2P%FTFTAFT%ORBTRBDRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
Game ResultLoss729.02.46.6.3700.93.1.2731.63.4.4582.12.9.7501.02.91.93.90.40.12.72.47.9
Win2428.12.97.4.3901.33.2.4031.64.2.3804.04.8.8191.14.63.54.81.40.32.21.811.0

People tend to shoot more FTs in wins due to end of game PG fouling, so there's probably some noise mixed into that aspect, but he does shoot 2 more FTs per game in wins, The big one is that when he makes 3s, we win. When we doesn't, we tend to lose.

He actually shoots worse on only slightly more attempts from 2 in wins, which surprised me.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. He is the key. When he plays well, we're tough to beat.

Reaction Score
Big East refs have always been bad in the sense that they let lots of stuff go. The NEWBIE refs are the same. The refs have all bought into the rock fight nonsense the league office peddles. Rough tough New Big East. Of course the best team over the past decade, Villanova, avoided that foolishness and just played basketball. But even going pretty far back they have been this way. But at least they didn’t run off the court with 5 seconds left and 1 team with the ball and a chance for the win like the old ones did in the Big East Tourney one year. So be thankful for that.

Reaction Score

View attachment 84960
I’ve been saying for a while that he is a key. When he plays well as he did against Providence we win.

Reaction Score
I just can't look at his shooting %s as what decides if he plays well or not.

Because it's the type of shots that make all the difference. If opposing defenses are crowding the 3 pt line and he's forced to drive, that's a different kind of shot for him. Just think he's was hacked multiple times last night. If he went 2-10 and got hacked 5 or 6 times, making the shot incredibly difficult if not impossible, that shows up in his shooting %s. Assume he doesn't get hack and makes 45% of those hoops. He goes from 2-10 to 5-10. Given the way these games are reffed, I can't look at the shooting %s to tell me how well a player played. I thought he was really good on offense last night and he played hard, he had several defensive lapses on D.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Saying he didn't play well is misleading. He didn't shoot well. But he had six boards and six dimes, and only one turnover, while dealing with the "handsiest" defense I've ever seen. He played well, but didn't shoot well. Compare that to Hawk and Ajax, both of whom neither shot well nor played well.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Saying he didn't play well is misleading. He didn't shoot well. But he had six boards and six dimes, and only one turnover, while dealing with the "handsiest" defense I've ever seen. He played well, but didn't shoot well. Compare that to Hawk and Ajax, both of whom neither shot well nor played well.
Handsy and a LOT of bumping with the chest and upper arms…part of “violent” defense I guess…should not be allowed IMO

Reaction Score
My hope is that we are better when we get away from the Big East and all the hacking. If the NCAA tourney is a wide open more finesse style of basketball, we will do well.
We’ll put teams in the bonus at the first media timeout.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Add BE reffing.
It stands to obvious reason that I don't observe the opposition as closely as I observe UConn, so in fairness I would invite and welcome a compilation video of Tristen Newton's BET 3-13 shooting inside the 3-point arc, and any combination of shots by Providence & Marquette that would demonstrate for me that Newton's drives to the basket were as foul-free as they were call. I stand poised to say, "Oh wow, I was wrong, sorry." Fwiw, he was 4-8 on 3-pointers, even having missed both that he took yesterday.

And just cuz I'm on the subject, what would account for Alex Karaban's movement across the end line when he wascallexfor being out of bounds. Again, Ivd rather admit my error than hang onto to a misimpression.

Reaction Score

View attachment 84960
Please dont take offense as i know this is an extremely sensitive forum but Duh!!! This is common knowledge to anyone thats been paying attention. Newton and Ajax are the key to this team being a final four team or an early exit.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I've been saying that too

Reaction Score
SplitValueGMPFGFGAFG%3P3PA3P%2P2PA2P%FTFTAFT%ORBTRBDRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
Game ResultLoss729.02.46.6.3700.93.1.2731.63.4.4582.12.9.7501.02.91.93.90.40.12.72.47.9
Win2428.12.97.4.3901.33.2.4031.64.2.3804.04.8.8191.14.63.54.81.40.32.21.811.0

People tend to shoot more FTs in wins due to end of game PG fouling, so there's probably some noise mixed into that aspect, but he does shoot 2 more FTs per game in wins, The big one is that when he makes 3s, we win. When we doesn't, we tend to lose.

He actually shoots worse on only slightly more attempts from 2 in wins, which surprised me.
Seems like Joey is the only guard that shoots a respectable percentage from the field. That’s not good

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Big East refs have always been bad in the sense that they let lots of stuff go. The NEWBIE refs are the same. The refs have all bought into the rock fight nonsense the league office peddles. Rough tough New Big East. Of course the best team over the past decade, Villanova, avoided that foolishness and just played basketball. But even going pretty far back they have been this way. But at least they didn’t run off the court with 5 seconds left and 1 team with the ball and a chance for the win like the old ones did in the Big East Tourney one year. So be thankful for that.
I’m ok when they make calls the same with both teams. In the Providence game they didn’t.

I felt they were fair in the Marquette game. The non calls on Tristen for the body bumping handicapped his play. Especially since after missing two wide open threes he appeared reluctant to take another.

Kolak’s style and the way Marquette gets him free from his defenders prohibited us from defending the same way. A plus for Marquette.

On the other hand the BE allows for a lot more mugging in the interior and I was actually impressed they were calling fouls on Marquette when they were pushing our players who had position. And since we had an overwhelming superiority there it was, at least in this game an advantage for us that they didn’t call it like a typical BE game.

So I should asterisk my reffing statement because had Tristen been on with his three point shooting the non calls would have mattered a lot less.

Reaction Score
Please dont take offense as i know this is an extremely sensitive forum but Duh!!! This is common knowledge to anyone thats been paying attention. Newton and Ajax are the key to this team being a final four team or an early exit.
I did not think it was as pronounced until looking at the numbers. Especially the TO/Assists.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I did not think it was as pronounced until looking at the numbers. Especially the TO/Assists.
No, it was pretty pronounced. Did you forget how putrid he was during our losing streak? He wasnt that bad yesterday but he obviously wasnt good. When Newt, Ajax and Hawk dont show up you have pretty much no chance of winning and yet we were still in position to win the game at the end. Thats what infuriates me about this team. If this team could ever get clicking on all cylinders there is absolutely no team in the country that can stay within 10 points of them. I truly believe that and its why this will likely go down as one of the most disappointing teams ive ever seen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom