Newsome and the Rent | The Boneyard

Newsome and the Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Arkeel was without a doubt a bright spot in an otherwise dismal evening. Looking forward to more.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to defenses playing "catch-22". Hopefully the plot develops toward a seasonal peak sequentially.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I am obviously in the minority as to the results from Friday, but I think Arkeel and Johnson were just another example of true promise we have. I would certainly look to give Arkeel more touches, starting Sat.

Reaction Score
I hope theres a youtube highlight reel of Arkeel soon. nothing but stiff arms, juking, and running over defenders.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I am obviously in the minority as to the results from Friday, but I think Arkeel and Johnson were just another example of true promise we have. I would certainly look to give Arkeel more touches, starting Sat.

I think Johnson well be a player to watch moving forward as well -

Reaction Score
I don't see Arkeel getting 1,000 rushing yards this season. I don't think they want to give him that many carries as a true frosh. Have to wonder if he's physically ready for that. That said, I think he, Johnson and Meriner all looked very good. We will run the ball this season.

Reaction Score
The thing I took out of Friday's game is that our 3 best RB's are Marriner, Johnson, and Newsome. Even if you take the fumble out of the equation for Max, the other 3 are just more explosive. That's not to say that there isn't a role on the team for Max, but I hope we have 4 guys who demand touches.

Reaction Score
Terry Caulley wasn't too small as true freshman. If he doesn't get enough touches for 1000yds, it will be cause the other guys are too good to ignore.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Small sample size of one game, and even worse, everyone on this thread is in agreement, but........, Marriner, Johnson and Newsome all looked more effective than Max.

Reaction Score
I like the use of talented backs in the short passing game. My hope is that all 3 of these guys can see the field a lot by terrorizing opponents with yards after catch and strong rushing. It would be such a shame for any of these guys to play very limited minutes. I know it is tough to juggle, but it was very obvious that at least Arkeel was comfortable catching the ball. He is effortless looking out there. The other two guys look very comfortable as well and I suspect both are similarly coordinated and versatile.

I think we have the horses on offense to become a nationally relevant, top 20 team in the next couple of years. Foley will definitely have the OL up to it and Diaco is a defensive guy. I'm really excited that we may be creating the perfect storm here if the coaching comes through.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
And he laid out the safety on the screen pass.

Of all the impressive Newsome moments that came out of the BYU game, finishing his run on that screen pass was, by far, my favorite. LOVE backs that finish runs - especially when an unsuspecting safety comes in thinking he is going to lay him out and, instead, the safety got flattened and Newsome looked as though he was barely touched. Happened right in front of our section too so I got a really good look at the play develop and finish. A couple of BYU players barked at him, probably to try to save some face from being flattened, but Newsome just gave the ball to the ref and ignored them while going back to the huddle. This kid is going to be really special.

Reaction Score
The thing I took out of Friday's game is that our 3 best RB's are Marriner, Johnson, and Newsome. Even if you take the fumble out of the equation for Max, the other 3 are just more explosive. That's not to say that there isn't a role on the team for Max, but I hope we have 4 guys who demand touches.

I said before the season, Max is best suited for a Lou Allen role. His tough north south running is perfect for short yardage. Mariner, Johnson, and Newsome should be the lead 3. Marriner is fast and runs hard, he should be the bell cow this season, But Johnson and Newsome should get their touches as well.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I'm really excited about the talent we have at RB. Marriner, Newsome and Johnson all looked good. I wonder if we'll see the same 4-way rotation between Max and those guys...maybe everyone gets 10 carries (?) or if the rotation will shrink. Obviously the FR have some work to improve pass protection but that's to be expected of 1st year backs.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I said before the season, Max is best suited for a Lou Allen role. His tough north south running is perfect for short yardage. Mariner, Johnson, and Newsome should be the lead 3. Marriner is fast and runs hard, he should be the bell cow this season, But Johnson and Newsome should get their touches as well.

This is a very real possibility. Max can catch the ball fairly well too so bringing him in on 3rd and short or goal line situations wouldn't necessarily tip our hand as to what kind of play we are going to run.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller 12:19pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Bob Diaco said Arkeel Newsome is impressive back and needs to get ball more and he will

"Needs" to get the ball and actually getting him the ball is the trick. Good thing is that one game in to his career the coaches have identified him as a playmaker and are trying to incorporate him more in to the game. Successful execution is the remaining link. He can develop in Todman 2.0.

Reaction Score
How long has it been since we had weapons coming out of the backfield?

Reaction Score
"Needs" to get the ball and actually getting him the ball is the trick. Good thing is that one game in to his career the coaches have identified him as a playmaker and are trying to incorporate him more in to the game. Successful execution is the remaining link. He can develop in Todman 2.0.

And I think a freshman year similar to Todmans is attainable.

Reaction Score
I watched Arkeel Newsome from freshman to senior during his career at Ansonia. While there are plenty of youtube videos out there, none do justice to watching from the sidelines. Closest I can ever remember seeing someone do the things he did, was Barry Sanders. Having watched the other backs in various videos, none have the X factor that Newsome has displayed at every level he has played. The limited touches he had on Friday night are just a taste of what is to come, should he be given more and more opportunities to touch the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom