Newsflash!!!!! Bob Diaco is the head coach of Uconn | The Boneyard

Newsflash!!!!! Bob Diaco is the head coach of Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
seems like people are already looking for a new coach or rooting against him. He's not going anywhere. If he fails, uconn fails.
Nobody is saying he can't make mistakes or be questioned, but people on here have a habit of putting coaches under a magnifying glass and extrapolating that to mean he should be fired.
Instead of everything meaning he is failing, let's be patient and give his system a chance. It takes time to implement a system.

Reaction Score
seems like people are already looking for a new coach or rooting against him. He's not going anywhere. If he fails, uconn fails.
Nobody is saying he can't make mistakes or be questioned, but people on here have a habit of putting coaches under a magnifying glass and extrapolating that to mean he should be fired.
Instead of everything meaning he is failing, let's be patient and give his system a chance. It takes time to implement a system.

You are right, unfortunately. We gave a guy who can win every press conference, but not so much on the field.

By the way, what is his "system"? Does anyone really know? Does he?

Reaction Score
You are right, unfortunately. We gave a guy who can win every press conference, but not so much on the field.

I actually believe he does know what his system is. We're all panicking. I think he is bothered, but cool as a cucumber. I think he knows his system and is confident it will pay off in the long run. The only question I have is if he is right about that. I am disappointed in this season, but haven't lost faith yet. Only time will tell if he is a genius, a dud,or something in between. He hasn't lost me yet...but I must admit I'm glad basketball is starting and will take me away from some of my misery.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He's not trending in the right direction. We are all hoping for a light bulb moment when the foundation he claims to be building starts to show on the field. Haven't seen anything worthy of note to date. Doesn't mean it won't happen after a full season and offseason, but the bar for some of you is so freaking low, it's Yankee conference level. It is not difficult to win 6 games. In fact, it's pretty hard not to when you can schedule your way to 4. Add in the 5-6 sub 100 team in the AAC and there really is no excuse. We gave PP a ton of crap for blowing the first Vanderbilt game before it was fashionable. There is a lot of the same going on here. No one is looking to fire BD, but if there is no bowl game next season, I'd cut him loose and not think twice about it, solely based on the schedule strength. If you can't come in and take a bunch of competitive players and beat these teams, then you are not the guy. He should be on notice that this isn't acceptable. He is only raising expectations for next season, and it didn't have to happen.

So play Boyle, it's a tough way for CW to end his career, but it's time. With no bowl game and the extra practices, BD needs to treat the rest of the season as tool for next season.

Reaction Score
If Diaco's system is a running QB then why did he wait so long to put Foxx in against Army and then for only intermittent plays? With a running QB the you need to also hand off to the RB which PP/GDL could not comprehend and when Foxx first came in we had him keep the ball. :mad: If it is not to have a running QB then what is he doing being a head Coach?

Reaction Score
None of us know more than the head coach, but we know that struggling to get the play in nine games into the season is not a good sign. I really, really hope he gets this cleaned up. Overall, I think we look more organized than we have the previous three years, but the defense looked lost for most of the game yesterday. Offensively, I wish he would stop playing it so close to the vest until you're down multiple scores.

Reaction Score
If Diaco's system is a running QB then why did he wait so long to put Foxx in against Army and then for only intermittent plays? With a running QB the you need to also hand off to the RB which PP/GDL could not comprehend and when Foxx first came in we had him keep the ball. :mad: If it is not to have a running QB then what is he doing being a head Coach?
Whitmer is clearly capable to run/scamper. So enough of the Foxx at QB being the sparker. Foxx at QB is a mismatch. Caught some defenses off guard. But there is no variety there. He has done it against two or three teams. Worked against two and not against the third. Foxx comes on at QB, the defense should know what to expect. And they stopped it. No surprise there. Whitmer caught the defense off guard down the stretch. He has done it throughout the season.

Reaction Score
The variety is in the read option to the RB which we ignored and therefore made it easy for the defense. We also have been told by the braintrust that Foxx is a good passer.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Holy straw man.

Who with more than 100+ posts here suggested Diaco be fired?

UConn does not have time. And it should not need time to beat Army.

This right here.

I see people questioning Diaco for his bizarre quotes, bizarre substitutions, bizarre clock management and for losses to teams that we have no business losing to.

Sure, I'm not a D1 coach, but you don't have to be a professional in something to analyze what you've seen.

Nobody thought the team would be good this season, so calls for him to be fired are premature, but we haven't seen any sustained improvement from week 1 to now.

Reaction Score
Enough of this BS. Please.

Are you his brother or something? What is so BS about the question? Can you answer the question as to what his system is? It's a simple question and I admit I don't know the answer. I've read comments to the effect of "give him time to get 'his' players and implement 'his' system". I think we all know what his defensive system is but I honestly don't know what his preferred offensive system is. I don't recall ever reading anything about it. So I asked the question.

Reaction Score
Are you his brother or something? What is so BS about the question? Can you answer the question as to what his system is? It's a simple question and I admit I don't know the answer. I've read comments to the effect of "give him time to get 'his' players and implement 'his' system". I think we all know what his defensive system is but I honestly don't know what his preferred offensive system is. I don't recall ever reading anything about it. So I asked the question.
And the non answer should be all you need. Keep being a pest.

Reaction Score
did you guys really look at the roster this off season thinking we were going to be an above average team? and did you expect a first time head coach not to have some issues with game management? diaco has definitely left some points out there but until it happens next season with a full year under his belt i think its less of an issue than it is being made out to be

Reaction Score
He's not trending in the right direction. We are all hoping for a light bulb moment when the foundation he claims to be building starts to show on the field. Haven't seen anything worthy of note to date. Doesn't mean it won't happen after a full season and offseason, but the bar for some of you is so freaking low, it's Yankee conference level. It is not difficult to win 6 games. In fact, it's pretty hard not to when you can schedule your way to 4. Add in the 5-6 sub 100 team in the AAC and there really is no excuse. We gave PP a ton of crap for blowing the first Vanderbilt game before it was fashionable. There is a lot of the same going on here. No one is looking to fire BD, but if there is no bowl game next season, I'd cut him loose and not think twice about it, solely based on the schedule strength. If you can't come in and take a bunch of competitive players and beat these teams, then you are not the guy. He should be on notice that this isn't acceptable. He is only raising expectations for next season, and it didn't have to happen.

So play Boyle, it's a tough way for CW to end his career, but it's time. With no bowl game and the extra practices, BD needs to treat the rest of the season as tool for next season.
are you serious? This program has won less than 20 games the past 4 seasons and you still think just showing up they'll win 4 games. Another newsflash!!!! This program as it sits right now is the team you think we should be beating. It didn't happen overnight.

Uconn won 3 games last year to end the season and you had some people here thinking they could challenge for the G5 spot (admittedly, I thought 6-7 wins was possible). This fanbase is delusional in the baseless expectations it sets. It takes time to turn around a program, especially if you've had a change or two in the coaching ranks... The last thing this team needs is another coaching change unless Nick Saban, Bear Bryant or Knute Rockne is knocking on the door. And I'm pretty we have a better chance of getting Bear or Knute on the sidelines coaching Uconn than Nick Saban.

Reaction Score
Marty, nobody is looking for a new coach nor is anyone rooting against him.

You said nobody is saying that he can't be questioned or criticized, yet you kind of are.
not at all... there is a difference questioning why Boyle isn't playing, or the rationale behind his timeouts and where this board goes which is to put the coach on the 'hot seat'...
As I said, i was hoping for 6-7 wins. It wasn't based on anything other than optimism. There is no outcome this year that is going to lead me to believe Bob Diaco isn't the right coach. I felt the same way about PP in year 1 as well.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Holy straw man.

Who with more than 100+ posts here suggested Diaco be fired?

UConn does not have time. And it should not need time to beat Army.
Exactly. Everyone had this game in the "W" column after last year's finish. Next year I expect us in the spread and D to learn you can also hand off to a RB in this formation.

Reaction Score
Not looking for a new coach but one to use his assets to the full extent. We have a coach that recently won defensive assistant of the year. How is it our D players have to take slander because they are being held back? Army threw the ball 3 times! The continual contain / prevent D is simply stupid and cost us that game.
Our corners are weak but this was not a game they needed protecting. Bob should have let the dogs loose and blitzed the dog snot out of them!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
are you serious? This program has won less than 20 games the past 4 seasons and you still think just showing up they'll win 4 games. Another newsflash!!!! This program as it sits right now is the team you think we should be beating. It didn't happen overnight.

Uconn won 3 games last year to end the season and you had some people here thinking they could challenge for the G5 spot (admittedly, I thought 6-7 wins was possible). This fanbase is delusional in the baseless expectations it sets. It takes time to turn around a program, especially if you've had a change or two in the coaching ranks... The last thing this team needs is another coaching change unless Nick Saban, Bear Bryant or Knute Rockne is knocking on the door. And I'm pretty we have a better chance of getting Bear or Knute on the sidelines coaching Uconn than Nick Saban.

USF, Tulane, Army, Stony Brook, UCF, Boise State, BYU, ECU, and Temple. Please point out which programs we should feel good about keeping it close with a roster of kids who were all recruited with a BCS bid in hand and a recent history of success. It's not as if there aren't glaring issues that have nothing to do with blocking and tackling. We are drowning in the kiddie pool. Stand up and breathe. We need the right coach, if BD isn't him and another bowl-less season next year would suggest that he might not be, then we need to be prepared to move on.

Reaction Score

I really wonder if posters like this know anything about football. Did they just start following it?

Anyone who thinks a football team with no QB can magically change overnight is just not very bright.

PP left the cupboard bare, DD needs to be able to recruit, get a QB, and instill his system, style of play, and culture.

As a DC he took a team to the Sugar Bowl and another to the National Championship game, but no the guy cannot win games on the field, right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom