Newman-Stone Package Article | The Boneyard

Newman-Stone Package Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Came across this article on sbnation.com. Don't know if this is old info but the article was written yesterday.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...nd-stone-list-uconn-kentucky-kansas-n-c-state

"In an interview with Scout.com on Tuesday, Newman revealed UConn, Kentucky, Kansas, N.C. State and Miami are each pursuing both players. Newman said Mississippi State and Texas A&M are the only schools recruiting him separately, but reiterated his desire to play with Stone once again."

"The Huskies are a big-time threat to pull this off."

So it sounds like Newman has a "final 7" and the duo have settled on those 5.

On a small side note I love the fact this article lists UConn first followed by Kentucky and Kansas. Doesn't mean much but if thats the order Malik said them in, it can't be a negative.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If these two are actually serious about playing together, it seems like a three team race. I can't envision them at N.C. State or Miami. Aside from the fact that Kentucky is always going to be the favorite to reel in these package deals for as long as Calipari is in charge, they're going to be a natural fit because of the inevitable exodus that is going to occur after this coming season. It wouldn't shock me if Dakari Johnson, Towns Jr., Cauley-Stein, Poythress, and the Harrison twins all declared. Here, they're more of a luxury than a necessity - I wouldn't be at all shocked if Samuel and/or Brimah turn out to be better players than Newman and Stone.

Reaction Score
If these two are actually serious about playing together, it seems like a three team race. I can't envision them at N.C. State or Miami. Aside from the fact that Kentucky is always going to be the favorite to reel in these package deals for as long as Calipari is in charge, they're going to be a natural fit because of the inevitable exodus that is going to occur after this coming season. It wouldn't shock me if Dakari Johnson, Towns Jr., Cauley-Stein, Poythress, and the Harrison twins all declared. Here, they're more of a luxury than a necessity - I wouldn't be at all shocked if Samuel and/or Brimah turn out to be better players than Newman and Stone.
Lets settle down a little. Newman is considered a potential #1 draft pick in 2016 and Stone is not far behind him.

Reaction Score
Lets settle down a little. Newman is considered a potential #1 draft pick in 2016 and Stone is not far behind him.

Yeah, seriously. I could maybe see Brimah becoming better than Stone if he develops a lot, but that's still far fetched.

I know some people on this board have a phobia of top 10 prospects, but those are bonafide future lottery pick guys.

Reaction Score

@champs99and04 I respect your optimism in TSam and Amida's development (I think they'll both turn into solid players for us), but ditto to what Jerry said. Newman gets comparisons to DWade and Stone is miles ahead of Brimah offensively and maybe even defensively.

Reaction Score
No phobia here. I'd love nothing more than to pull off a Stone/Newman package. However, it's far from ridiculous to think that a junior version of Terrence Samuel could be superior to Newman as a freshman, and the same applies with Brimah and Stone. We've seen countless examples of this in the past.

Reaction Score
No phobia here. I'd love nothing more than to pull off a Stone/Newman package. However, it's far from ridiculous to think that a junior version of Terrence Samuel could be superior to Newman as a freshman, and the same applies with Brimah and Stone. We've seen countless examples of this in the past.
You said "turn out to be better players".

Reaction Score

That's a little different from what you originally said, which is that Samuel and Brimah might turn out to be better players than Newman and Stone.

I still think that Newman and Stone will have more of an impact than those two while they're in college, and I like Samuel and Brimah a lot.

Reaction Score
Ollie has the same street cred as Self and Squid when it comes to winning and he has the intangibles of coming from inner city and playing in league for 10 years, which is ultimately what these guys care about. Negative as always is this crap league and level of play.

Came across this article on sbnation.com. Don't know if this is old info but the article was written yesterday.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...nd-stone-list-uconn-kentucky-kansas-n-c-state

"In an interview with Scout.com on Tuesday, Newman revealed UConn, Kentucky, Kansas, N.C. State and Miami are each pursuing both players. Newman said Mississippi State and Texas A&M are the only schools recruiting him separately, but reiterated his desire to play with Stone once again."

"The Huskies are a big-time threat to pull this off."

So it sounds like Newman has a "final 7" and the duo have settled on those 5.

On a small side note I love the fact this article lists UConn first followed by Kentucky and Kansas. Doesn't mean much but if thats the order Malik said them in, it can't be a negative.

Reaction Score
You said "turn out to be better players".

That's a little different from what you originally said, which is that Samuel and Brimah might turn out to be better players than Newman and Stone.

I still think that Newman and Stone will have more of an impact than those two while they're in college, and I like Samuel and Brimah a lot.

Sorry if that wasn't clear. I'm sure Stone and Newman will be great players, and in all likelihood, better as pros than Samuel and Brimah. On the other hand, this past freshman class was one of the best in years (Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Randle, Ennis, Vonleh, etc.) and only one of them advanced past the first weekend. Top ten recruits and sure-fire pros don't always translate to enormous success right away (as we learned with Drummond) even if it isn't always their fault. That being said, it isn't like we wouldn't have loved to have had one of the aforementioned kids on our team. My original point was simply that Kentucky is likely to be a more appealing destination to Newman and Stone due to roster construction - it's tough to tell whether Samuel or Brimah will be better than those two in sixteen months, but at the very least, Newman and Stone aren't walking in and taking their minutes without a fight.

Reaction Score
Brimah could totally turn out better than stone, brimah is a top 15 freshman in what was a loaded class. that means in retrospect he would have been a 5 star recruit. At this point stone is an unproven commodity, could be camron ridley could be demarcus counsins. Newman is an undersized shooting guard who isn't even better than jalen adams, so i would relax on calling him the number 1 draft pick in 2016. name me 1 6'3 shooting guard ever seleted number 1?

C

Chief00

Quite frankly??

Reaction Score
Brimah could totally turn out better than stone, brimah is a top 15 freshman in what was a loaded class. that means in retrospect he would have been a 5 star recruit. At this point stone is an unproven commodity, could be camron ridley could be demarcus counsins. Newman is an undersized shooting guard who isn't even better than jalen adams, so i would relax on calling him the number 1 draft pick in 2016. name me 1 6'3 shooting guard ever seleted number 1?

Derrick Rose (6'3"), Kyrie Irving (6'3"), John Wall (6'3.5"), AI (6' on a good day). Now all 4 of these guys by todays definition are combo guards. They may be listed as 1's, but really they were/are 2's that improved their ball handling and passing. Newman is definitely in that mold.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Derrick Rose (6'3"), Kyrie Irving (6'3"), John Wall (6'3.5"), AI (6' on a good day). Now all 4 of these guys by todays definition are combo guards. They may be listed as 1's, but really they were/are 2's that improved there ball handling and passing. Newman is definitely in that mold.
Everyone you named but ai are pg

Reaction Score
Everyone you named but ai are pg

I admit Kyrie and Wall are a bit of a stretch, but they are all score first point guards/combo guards. I feel like Newman fits that group. Purvis (6'3") falls into this category too. Natural 2 that wants the ball in their hands so they can create as a point guard.

Reaction Score
You are assuming a 16 year old is done growing.

There is 1 person in the world who says Adams is better then Newman, it is you.

Reaction Score
If taking this package plus Turtle and Adams means we don't get a wing, I'd still be perfectly happy, if not ecstatic. However, I'm not going to reject Enoch, Jones, Comanche, or Smith if they want to commit first. KO has put us in an amazing position. We don't have to wait around for the elite guy. Whoever pulls the trigger first is an elite player, judging from the list above.

P. S. The bad UConn fan in me would be ok to see Turtle decommit, because that opens us up to this package plus a wing, which would give us likely a top 3 class and great positional balance. I never said that though!!!!

P. P. S. Anyone know if we're still on Carlton Bragg at all? I'm pretty sure at this point Enoch is our main target at the 4 (plus Jones/Smith could both be stretch 4s), but I also remember us being in a good position with him. Is it safe to assume we've moved on? Thanks.

Reaction Score
I take the same opinion as champs99and04. If we land a package like these two that's great but they are, most likely, just passing through for a year. And, while Kentucky has had success with this model we have had more success with 3 and 4 year players alongside role players. So I'd be excited to see them play but I'd also feel we are getting away from the essence of UConn BB. Yes, I get the whole get the best player possible argument. JMO. Got a feeling we are going to love watching the Rock for a few years.

Reaction Score
Rock gets 14th rebound and 11 pts as uconn destroy's Texas. Sounds good to me.

Reaction Score
Not quite 1 overall, but Ben Gordon was #3

Reaction Score
I take the same opinion as champs99and04. If we land a package like these two that's great but they are, most likely, just passing through for a year. And, while Kentucky has had success with this model we have had more success with 3 and 4 year players alongside role players. So I'd be excited to see them play but I'd also feel we are getting away from the essence of UConn BB. Yes, I get the whole get the best player possible argument. JMO. Got a feeling we are going to love watching the Rock for a few years.
Both models have worked great (UK's and UConn's).

UK has a title, a runner up, a final four, and elite 8 in the last 5 years under the Squid. While I hate the guy there is no arguing that his method of getting the best players (whether 1 and done or not) is a very good way to win a lot of games. If not for us they have 3 titles in his 5 years.

Not saying we should change how we do things, but if we can get the best players in the class who KO thinks fits our system I wont complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom