New York Times: Courageous Huskies | The Boneyard

New York Times: Courageous Huskies

Reaction Score
I like getting the press, but I would have loved to hear more about how Edsall put the power in his players and how that shift in power can be a model for coaches in the future to develop player relationships and in turn, help recruiting.

If I'm a recruit and I hear how Edsall handled this difficult decision, I'm impressed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
I do not second guess the decision made by UConn Athletics in regard to football due to the challenges that independent scheduling presented. But I do not think there was anything gained by not playing the season.

The team practiced and dealt with C19 related illness / protocols. They did not have the opportunity to compete. Competing is what is important. I could not read the NYT article - but doubt anything noted would be more important than active competition.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In hindsight UConn looks weak and feckless. At the time the decision was made it was a 50/50 shot as to whether the decision would protect the health of players and staff.

5 months later and there's not data to show the players were kept safe by not playing games nor does it show players from the 125+ programs who played games, some on 2-3 days notice, were harmed more than UConn's players who weren't playing games. Same goes for staff and family.

I've said several times and I'll stay consistent, if UConn would say they cancelled the season due to the logistical constraints of being a 1st year independent, I'll buy off on it. If UConn says they were doing it for the health and well-being of the players and staff, any derision coming their way is warranted.

Reaction Score
The NY Times article certainly draws attention to the program. Whether you agree with the decision or not, many folks out there think it's the right decision so they will look favorably on UConn.

The Forbes article seems unnecessary. If the program says it is cancelling the season for the safety of the players, take the program at its word. why question other motives? Yeah, we know the P5 makes tons of money and everyone else doesn't.

The bottom line is the Pac 12 and B1G both thought it was prudent to cancel the season. It was much more difficult for UConn to try to create a schedule once it cancelled for a number of reasons. Finances certainly aren't the only reason UConn cancelled so why drill into UConn's finances and compare to the B1G.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One take was before the season, and one was after. Perspective would be different.
You have to wonder about a guy who upon reading a vaguely positive article about a team immediately Googles to see if he can find a negative one to post on their board.

[chuckle]

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This CFB season has been an embarrassing cluster. UConn will be better off for not participating.

The college football season has gone off remarkably well and is heading for a perfect finish.

yes, there were cancelled games and rescheduled games, but the season has gone on. Just like it has for every sport that has resumed since the summer. There have been different options chosen by different sports but the common denominator is there was a will and a way to compete and finish.

Reaction Score
The college football season has gone off remarkably well and is heading for a perfect finish.

yes, there were cancelled games and rescheduled games, but the season has gone on. Just like it has for every sport that has resumed since the summer. There have been different options chosen by different sports but the common denominator is there was a will and a way to compete and finish.
I agree. Some sort of football season is much better than no season. Life goes on.

I wish UConn had done what just about every other program did and decided to play at least a few games. Liberty, Middle Tennessee (they played Army), Army and a rescheduled UMass could have been doable. Those would have all been home games too, and UConn could have won a couple.

Reaction Score
23 tested positive. If we had 10 games, how many would test positive? We don't know.
And because some tested positive the close contacts were quarantined as well. The offensive line barely had enough to practice and a lot of defense kids were quarantined for 10 days. Trust me it would have been tons of cancelled games.. plus 10 went home for a period of time due to concerns with the virus..

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"Remarkably well" is a relative term. There weren't enough teams to fill the bowl games even with allowing 3-win teams in. OSU makes the FF4 after playing only 5 reg season games. Unremarkably well is closer to the truth.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
"Remarkably well" is a relative term. There weren't enough teams to fill the bowl games even with allowing 3-win teams in. OSU makes the FF4 after playing only 5 reg season games. Unremarkably well is closer to the truth.

One of the outcomes I've been hoping for from this season is a reduction of about 10-15 bowl games.

The biggest benefit of bowl games over the past decade is the extra practice time for the team and the ability to get true freshmen and redshirt freshmen more reps to help gameplan winter conditioning and spring practice. Actual games are meh to me.

I'd be happy with about 25 bowl games max which includes the 3 CFP games.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
First year of independent football, a state health department that wanted to take everything to the 'nth degree, an athletic department that must close a large financial gap which had just chose to cut sports in June and the general COVid unknowns that surrounding everything back in July combined to nix the season. It wasnt one thing, it was the culmination of many many things.

I don't think the program has been damaged nor has it particularly benefited from the decision, but any conclusions on that front should wait until we have played perhaps 6 games in 2021. If Edsall engineers a 5 or 6 win season he will be celebrated and if we dont some will point to the 2020 canceled season as part of the story (emphasis on some).

Looking ahead, I'm a little concerned Edsall wont be able to conduct a real spring program. Just look at the way it has gone for MBB. I dont see the on campus health situation improving much between now and say next August. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree. The article is typical NY Times view of football/business oppressing the innocent kids and not respecting the government edicts--even if the virus is not a real threat to anyone under 70 in decent health. Their definition of courage is any politician who votes to raise taxes or someone who worships the government. I would imagine there was a pretty negative spin before RE supposedly handed the decision off to the players. The financial impact of a canceled season was good for the Edsalls and the Huskies. Other factors too, but $ were the biggest reason.

I also doubt any recruit would be impressed by the decision to cancel.

Reaction Score
One of the outcomes I've been hoping for from this season is a reduction of about 10-15 bowl games.

The biggest benefit of bowl games over the past decade is the extra practice time for the team and the ability to get true freshmen and redshirt freshmen more reps to help gameplan winter conditioning and spring practice. Actual games are meh to me.

I'd be happy with about 25 bowl games max which includes the 3 CFP games.

I do not view the season as negatively as others. TOSU was never getting to 10-11 games due to late start, so saying they only played 5 when they could’ve never played 10 is funny (some might argue Clemson) math. The fact that we are unable to field a team even when some kids are down speaks volumes of how far we’ve fallen.

It’s nice the NYT printed a fluff piece, but since apparently no one got more than a flu, I think we look silly.

in terms of bowls, another option would be to expand playoff to 16, with each game being played at a bowl site. What would likely follow is a football version of nit with say 8-12 teams, also playing at bowl sites.

Reaction Score
The New York Times is garbage. The NFL played their entire season and college football played the vast majority of scheduled games. The only question is whether the decision not to play will hurt the program or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom