New Years Six Bowl Question | The Boneyard

New Years Six Bowl Question

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Independents are part of the so-called Group of Five for purposes of determining who plays on New Years Day? For example if UCONN went undefeated next year and was ranked higher than any team in the five conferences would it get to play the big bowl game?

Reaction Score
Wikipedia says "All Division I FBS independents are eligible for the College Football Playoff (CFP), or for the so-called "access bowls" associated with the CFP, if they are chosen by the CFP selection committee." Not sure if it is correct.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I would guess that independents would take the group of five slot. A measuring stick of this would be the situation where a G5 school is #2 in the country behind BYU in the overall rankings...

When the unicorn finishes pooping glitter, the BYU team would probably take the G5 slot.

Reaction Score
I wonder what the bowl payout looks like as an independent vs being in conference

Reaction Score
No, Independent schools are not eligible for NY Bowl. Byu for example, will never be in the game until they join conference. The NY bowl was a bone that was thrown to G5 conferences to avoid lawsuit.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No, Independent schools are not eligible for NY Bowl. Byu for example, will never be in the game until they join conference. The NY bowl was a bone that was thrown to G5 conferences to avoid lawsuit.

Notre Dame is a different beast than other Independent programs. Fair or not, whatever iteration of a selection committee, they consider them part of the P5. Every other Independent program is on par with a G5 program in the eyes of the Selection Committee. Notre Dame will not necessarily take the place of a G5 team, but they pretty much preclude any other Independent from playing in a NY6 game.

Reaction Score
That sucks if true. I didn’t have a big issue with the change from original Big East to AAC or the change in format for football playoffs because we still had at least a theoretical pathway to a major bowl game. Now we don’t. Plus we don’t have opportunity to play in conference championship game. I’m trying to stay positive but...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom