New UConn Men’s Soccer Coach - Chris Gbandi | The Boneyard

New UConn Men’s Soccer Coach - Chris Gbandi

Reaction Score

-> Former University of Connecticut men's soccer star Chris Gbandi, who won the 2000 Hermann Trophy and led the Huskies to their third NCAA National Championship that season, will serve as UConn's next head men's soccer coach, as announced by director of athletics David Benedict on Friday. Gbandi becomes the ninth head coach in program history, and the third since 1969.

Gbandi returns to UConn following a six-year stint as head men's soccer coach at Northeastern and led NU to an 11-6-2 overall record during the 2021 season. The 11 wins marked the fifth-most victories in program history and the No. 2 seed earned by the team in the Colonial Athletic Association Championship was tied for a program best.

During his coaching career, Gbandi has helped lead his teams to three NCAA Tournament appearances, including a 2011 appearance with UConn. Additionally, Gbandi has coached two NSCAA-All Americans, one NSCAA-All Atlantic Region Team player, and 10 All-Conference Team honorees. <-

Reaction Score
Has only had one good year at Northeastern so not thrilled by this based on his non-playing days resume. My gut feeling is this is more of a Kevin Ollie/Edsall 2.0 sentimental hire which is slightly disappointing. Regardless, looking forward to see what the new energy can bring to the program!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It's not who I wanted but you never know with the smaller sports, better candidates might have turned them down at the salary point.

Reaction Score
His credentials are better than Ollie’s were. At least he has had success as a head coach. He was able to turn around the NU program.

It took him six years to have his first winning season. Maybe he's turned a corner as a coach, but I really feel like we should have gone with someone more proven. I hope it works out and he's as successful here as a coach as he was as a player, but this just feels unnecessarily risky.

Reaction Score
that's the best DB could do??? The guy has stunk it up at Northeastern, what makes DB think he'll do better at UConn??? Very uninspired hire, especially after the long time malaise of the RR era.

Reaction Score
Wish I could say I was surprised.

On a recent podcast Reid was on he said he may stay around and help “depending on what guy we hired”. So nice of Him. Love those thinly veiled threats. That always leads to the best candidates. That of course suggested he would have influence on who got picked. Reid is best friends with Calhoun and like Calhoun couldn’t just retire gracefully and let someone new from outside come in. Too big a control freak for that.

DB went nepotism and cheap for 3 huge hires of 3 of our most successful athletic programs (womens soccer, field hockey, mens soccer). 2 former players. 2 assistants. And a head coach with 1 winning season in his 6 seasons. I guess we will see how that plays itself out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There isn't much name recognition in the world of of men's soccer coaches. Looks like UConn went with the biggest name from its last national championship season, a person that fans and supporters of UConn men's soccer would surely remember and recognize. As far as recruiting and wins and losses, we'll see how it all works out.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I admit I wasn't exactly thrilled with the hire, but unlike some of you negative Nancys, I'm not planning on doing a #2 all over it already. I was looking for someone more established, but he did have a decent season this year, so he is capable of producing a winning record. As my brother mentioned to me, it's not like the top players are looking to go to Northeastern. I think we need to wait and see what he can do with the UConn brand behind him.

Reaction Score
I admit I wasn't exactly thrilled with the hire, but unlike some of you negative Nancys, I'm not planning on doing a #2 all over it already. I was looking for someone more established, but he did have a decent season this year, so he is capable of producing a winning record. As my brother mentioned to me, it's not like the top players are looking to go to Northeastern. I think we need to wait and see what he can do with the UConn brand behind him.
With one caveat, Reid retired and should mostly enjoy his retirement. Otherwise, this ^

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Wow. Surprised at the universal panning of this hire. There are only a handful of elite soccer coaches in the US. As a international player, Hermann winner, and National champion, you'd think he'd get more love.

I'm not saying Northeaster is a soccer desert, but facilities and tradition play huge in Olympic sports. I think he there is a chance he could attract top talent given time. I'm fairly confident he knows the game. The fact he did turn around NU, is a plus in my book.

My only problem with family hires is that they can end badly, but is anyone really going to be upset if he gets fired in a few years? This isn't a KO dividing the family situation.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
So what resources and emphasis did Northeastern put into their men's soccer program? If he wasn't getting much support, then he slowly turned the ship around and should be commended. If they were flooding the program with support, then he didn't do such a hot job. Me thinks its the former and not the latter. He will get much more support at UConn and should be able to recruit at a much higher level.

Reaction Score
Wish I could say I was surprised.

On a recent podcast Reid was on he said he may stay around and help “depending on what guy we hired”. So nice of Him. Love those thinly veiled threats. That always leads to the best candidates. That of course suggested he would have influence on who got picked. Reid is best friends with Calhoun and like Calhoun couldn’t just retire gracefully and let someone new from outside come in. Too big a control freak for that.

DB went nepotism and cheap for 3 huge hires of 3 of our most successful athletic programs (womens soccer, field hockey, mens soccer). 2 former players. 2 assistants. And a head coach with 1 winning season in his 6 seasons. I guess we will see how that plays itself out.

You’ve been miserable all season. They make a move in the right direction and you’re still miserable. Let’s take a deep breath and give AD David Benedict the benefit of the doubt. He’s earned it given EVERY move he’s made since he’s been on board.

Reaction Score
You’ve been miserable all season. They make a move in the right direction and you’re still miserable. Let’s take a deep breath and give AD David Benedict the benefit of the doubt. He’s earned it given EVERY move he’s made since he’s been on board.
You must be kidding…extending diaco bringing back edsall. He has made some good ones I will give him that including getting uconn back to big east and Hurley has turned ship around in bball but this guy is hardly batting 1.000

Reaction Score
That must be some good kool-aid. Every move????

Reaction Score
Don't love it. Don't hate it. Similar to my feelings regarding Lou Spanos as DC.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I am stoked for this hire. A UConn alum with a ring and endorsed my Reid. Aside from the foosball UConn rarely misses wide left on coaching hires.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom