New UConn Men’s Soccer Coach - Chris Gbandi | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New UConn Men’s Soccer Coach - Chris Gbandi

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
It was obvious. I point out the obvious. And I get all these emotional responses white knighting DB and saying he would never cow to Reid or be influenced by his “blessing”. Well. There it is by Amore.
The article doesn't say DB gave in to RR or his influence. It says they came to the same conclusion. Unless you know behind the scenes info, no victory lap yet.

Reaction Score
is Gbandi really a transition from RR? Not buying it, it smacks of RR being involved in picking his successor.
Yup.
Thus. Dave Benedict works with Calhoun, Hurley, Stevens, Auriemma.
No attack Pudge but you can't be serious. How did Calhoun stuffing Ollie down the schools throat work out? (Actually up their backside)
If DB had to rely on coaches of other sports to help hire coaches, that is simply incompetent and dereliction of duty.
Obviously they all social together and meet for individual purposes, but at the D1 level one has to hope the AD has a list and like Santa checking it twice. ;)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
you STFU

You're nothing but a sour person. A Connecticut curmudgeon.

The key here is Northeastern, as touched on above. They are a wealthy resource rich University that has never put any money into athletics. In any sport. Gbandi has a major University and one of the finest facilities in the US and a ready attendance - despite years of woeful performance by Ray. A little bit of marketing ... maybe announcing recruits well in advance of first day of camp; things that I believe Reid could care less about.

If you are gonna whine about Benedict hires - in spite of obvious contra logic - I am gonna pushback. This AD/AD is in a good place. We can be certain, given who DB is, he understands the UCONN Soccer legacy (including 2 past coaches with NC) and wants a program of excellence. I can assure my fellow BY that Benedict would interview and network and think this hire extensively; one he certainly knew about for months. This is not a knee jerk move and CERTAINLY not one that Ray Reid was allowed to bless. That's not DB nor UCONN after Ollie.

My favorite sport when I was at UCONN was Men's soccer. I desperately want us to compete at the highest level. I will go to games.
Pudge, If it was directed to me - Don't tell me to STFU - who's the sour arse person who says this on Christmas?

I'm happy men's soccer was your favorite sport at UConn
I've been involved in the program before you were born and coached the sport for nearly 30 years

I surmise you very little squat about Coach Reid or Chris.

Again - DB knows zero about soccer, zero about the legacy of Coach Morrone, etc. I spoke with him at length at a Friends of Soccer event this past October and it was reinforced by his feedback - all he could talk about is the facilities

My circle of soccer contacts that range from MLS, college and national youth leaders all feel that CB is a safe choice but not the best choice at this time for UConn - but what do they know - not as much as AD David Benedict or you Pudge - your claims of knowledge of DB's handling the search is unfounded and I'm guessing it's pure hyperbole. You nor I know squat about it.

If it is me that you consider to be a Connecticut curmudgeon, fine - I pour money into the AD for all sports every year and support them in good and bad - not a fair weather fan. You won't catch me saying: I desperately want us to compete at the highest level. I will go to games.
I do go to matches.

I never claimed that CB was/is a bad choice, I merely said if Jared and Marc were finalists then AD David Benedict missed - most anyone in the US Soccer arena would agree with me.

Again, I wish the best for Coach B, UConn soccer, all UConn athletics and a Happy New Year 2022

Reaction Score
Benedict is the best Athletic Director at UCONN since our revolutionary - Lew Perkins. Perkins role was shake things up and make us think in a whole different framework than this state ever had. Benedict has the modern Athletic Department role in a excellent mode: particularly this New England Public that has major challenges. Chiefly how we manage being a bigtime school with blueblood programs in hoop and try for excellence in sports (defined as National Championship quality or best capable nationally) with best practices. 70% of his time and headache is Football. But we are firmly targeting tops in northeast baseball, mens and womens ice hockey, field hockey. Men's and women's soccer needs to be in this category, and we should win and compete in the tournament yearly.

Conference? Benedict shrewdly handled the transition out of our poorly positioned AAC to Big East and others. Well done.

First, Benedict was not involved in Calhoun straight line to Ollie. A sad adventure for this school. And I am one to praise Ollie for his excellent coaching in the 2014 tournament: but he was just inept at running a fully competitive CBB Program of a top 20 stature. And my feeling ... he sufffered from total disintermediation post divorce. He melted.

Football? I don't think Edsall 2.0 was a good call. However. We did it because of our money posture - which sucked at that moment. Ollie was a heavy hit; and is. The exit fees entrance fees etc. Benedict was pushed to make a HC choice that fit a much tougher dollar structure; and we got a Edsall we didn't expect. Today? We have better money prospects; we have proven that the independent schedule and television can be workable; and Edsall (IMHO) left us with some developing talent.

Then Gbandi. Admittedly, I desperately want this to work. I went to Reid games (probably 5 in last 4 years). But my passion over time from Morrone to today is lacking. My view is Gbandi did a good job at Northeastern. We could grab a more positive HC profile - I think we were willing to pay good money. I don't think Ray Reid had any big say in this job. Though the big booster behind the stadium probably did. Baseline? I want energy. Someone who cares. That's a Gbandi. I have talked to Margaret and the assistant - O'Brien - and I think we will see good things. I would love (and go to far more games) if Gbandi carves a niche in our regional world like Penders. A solid Program where we make the NCAA tourney most all our years and we are yearly expected to do great.

Reaction Score
Imagine having the audacity to write the above fiction novel on a day when UConn was humiliated and ordered to pay their former bball coach $11 million dollars largely due to the actions of AD Dave.

Reaction Score
Benedict is the best Athletic Director at UCONN since our revolutionary - Lew Perkins. Perkins role was shake things up and make us think in a whole different framework than this state ever had. Benedict has the modern Athletic Department role in a excellent mode: particularly this New England Public that has major challenges. Chiefly how we manage being a bigtime school with blueblood programs in hoop and try for excellence in sports (defined as National Championship quality or best capable nationally) with best practices. 70% of his time and headache is Football. But we are firmly targeting tops in northeast baseball, mens and womens ice hockey, field hockey. Men's and women's soccer needs to be in this category, and we should win and compete in the tournament yearly.

Conference? Benedict shrewdly handled the transition out of our poorly positioned AAC to Big East and others. Well done.

First, Benedict was not involved in Calhoun straight line to Ollie. A sad adventure for this school. And I am one to praise Ollie for his excellent coaching in the 2014 tournament: but he was just inept at running a fully competitive CBB Program of a top 20 stature. And my feeling ... he sufffered from total disintermediation post divorce. He melted.

Football? I don't think Edsall 2.0 was a good call. However. We did it because of our money posture - which sucked at that moment. Ollie was a heavy hit; and is. The exit fees entrance fees etc. Benedict was pushed to make a HC choice that fit a much tougher dollar structure; and we got a Edsall we didn't expect. Today? We have better money prospects; we have proven that the independent schedule and television can be workable; and Edsall (IMHO) left us with some developing talent.

Then Gbandi. Admittedly, I desperately want this to work. I went to Reid games (probably 5 in last 4 years). But my passion over time from Morrone to today is lacking. My view is Gbandi did a good job at Northeastern. We could grab a more positive HC profile - I think we were willing to pay good money. I don't think Ray Reid had any big say in this job. Though the big booster behind the stadium probably did. Baseline? I want energy. Someone who cares. That's a Gbandi. I have talked to Margaret and the assistant - O'Brien - and I think we will see good things. I would love (and go to far more games) if Gbandi carves a niche in our regional world like Penders. A solid Program where we make the NCAA tourney most all our years and we are yearly expected to do great.

Reaction Score
Imagine having the audacity to write the above fiction novel on a day when UConn was humiliated and ordered to pay their former bball coach $11 million dollars largely due to the actions of AD Dave.

You're not very good at strategic thinking. That LOSS in arbitration was predictable and the university made poor decisions, Not Benedict.

Simple exposure to contract law, arbitration and contingency attorneys told me that ... am immediate settlement with Ollie was the best call.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Benedict can do no wrong huh?
Wrong board, this is for soccer. Take your animosity back to the MBB board.
Almost seems like you want UConn to do poorly so you can celebrate your hatred of the AD. I assume you're now rooting against Gbandi so you can do another victory lap somewhere down the road.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
So, here is my view on Gbandi. He had little resources at Northeastern. He has a lot more resources at UConn. Let's see what he can do with the extra resources and how that will translate into recruiting, culture development, style and ultimately game management. My instinct tells me that he will have a better culture and recruiting as he is younger and connect with today's players. Not sure who the rest of his staff will be, but hopefully players stay longer and develop. If the style is attractive, then the rest should take care of itself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom