New transfer rule eliminates permission-to-contact process. | The Boneyard

New transfer rule eliminates permission-to-contact process.

Reaction Score
New transfer rule eliminates permission-to-contact process

>>Beginning in October, Division I student-athletes will have the ability to transfer to a different school and receive a scholarship without asking their current school for permission.

The Division I Council adopted a proposal this week that creates a new “notification-of-transfer” model. This new system allows a student to inform his or her current school of a desire to transfer, then requires that school to enter the student’s name into a national transfer database within two business days. Once the student-athlete’s name is in the database, other coaches are free to contact that individual.<<

Background thread:Proposal To Let Athletes Transfer Instantly After Coaching Change Gaining Steam

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Hi, My Name is McKenzie Milton, I'm interested in transferring too Penn St, Michigan, Florida, [insert any top 20 program here] etc

Reaction Score
Had to see this coming...

The Power 5 schools have passed a new rule regarding players who want to transfer - FootballScoop

>>Once a player notifies his current school of his intent to transfer, schools can now cancel the scholarship of said player at the end of that academic term. The rule, which had the support of the Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, is intended to provide accountability for players, discouraging them from dipping their toes in the transfer waters without a serious intent to actually transfer.

“In fairness to the transfer student-athlete’s teammates, coaching staff and overall team dynamic, the Division I SAAC felt that a student-athlete should not be able to give notification, search for other opportunities, then return to their institution if dissatisfied with their options with no repercussions,” SAAC chairman and former Missouri-Kansas City basketball player Noah Knight said in a statement.<<

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
While these rules are objectively more fair than the current rules, I don’t see how they don’t further damage interest in college sports.

College basketball has already disappeared from the national landscape 11 months of the year.

Other than hardcore message board and twitter types who can possibly follow sports where the rosters are even more fluid than they already are?

I know a lot of the people who post here are young - but you missed a great era where there was massive amounts of television coverage AND you could watch games knowing m the players because they had been around long enough to get familiar.

The players were actually stories - not just the coaches.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I wonder what the APR implications of this rule would be? Player decides to transfer near the beginning of term, plays the season but doesn't complete his coursework. Old school gets slammed for APR and new school (P5 factory) probably doesn't care.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom