New to UConn Football. Sell me on Season Tix. | The Boneyard

New to UConn Football. Sell me on Season Tix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Lets put aside the fact that I'm not new to UConn Football and I already have season tix... We all know people in the titles situation though. What's the pitch? How, in the face of all that's going on, do you pitch season tix to the masses? Curious for any ideas. Uconn sure as hell will need the help.

Reaction Score
I've had them since before the Rent opened. I got nothing. Questioning my sanity about renewing for next year when I can get them in the parking lot for $10 from those huckleberry scalpers

Reaction Score
1) the tailgating is great!
2) you can make some money selling your tickets to Michigan fans!
3) great sightlines
4) they usually win the first game of the year

Reaction Score
DJ Joey Franchize.
The Kiss-Cam
PC Richards whistle
They throw out t-shirts every game
No traffic getting out of the stadium if you stay for the whole game

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I've had them since before the Rent opened. I got nothing. Questioning my sanity about renewing for next year when I can get them in the parking lot for $10 from those huckleberry scalpers
I'm not questioning my sanity at all. I know I will continue to buy tickets (for far more seats than I can use) and I know that I am crazy to do this but I will continue. I can't explain why, perhaps in this one area I have masochistic tendencies but as long as I am breathing i'll be there.

Reaction Score
for next year:

Home games against Michigan, Maryland, Rutgers and Louisville.

Best tailgating in the Northeast

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
1) Easy to get to and get out of.
2) Not a bad seat in the house.
3) You'll see some exciting opponents each year (NCState, Maryland, Michigan, Tennessee, etc.).
4) Tailgating is very fun.
5) It's the best athletic show in the state (sorry, Connecticut Whale).
6) Then, I would go into a 6 hour dissertation on how the University of Connecticut is the greatest university in the world, and I would bring up many things to prove it (I'm sure the Dairy Bar would find its way into the discussion as well).

I hope that helped...

Reaction Score
for next year:

Home games against Michigan, Maryland, Rutgers and Louisville.

Best tailgating in the Northeast

Being 0-4 for home games is not a good reason.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
DJ Joey Franchize.
The Kiss-Cam
PC Richards whistle
They throw out t-shirts every game
No traffic getting out of the stadium if you stay for the whole game
This made me throw up a little and you didn't even mention the product on the field.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Lets put aside the fact that I'm not new to UConn Football and I already have season tix... We all know people in the titles situation though. What's the pitch? How, in the face of all that's going on, do you pitch season tix to the masses? Curious for any ideas. Uconn sure as hell will need the help.

I'll take a serious stab at this. My assumptions are that everything is the same in 2013 as they are right at this moment (i.e. - same lousy conference, same lousy coaches, etc)...

1. The Opponents Theory: I think UConn will first and foremost sell the Maryland/Edsall game and, obviously, the Michigan game. Michigan is by far and away the biggest and best name to come to Rentschler Field and even the casual fan is interested in going to that game. I know that our group of season ticket holders are asked constantly if we had any extras for the Michigan game and this started over a year ago. Word is out on the Michigan game. If you can sell folks that the only way to get to the Michigan game is through season tickets (it might be because I'm guessing Michigan fans will scoop up all extras on ticket master and Stubhub once they float out there), then I think that will motivate some to buy season tickets. If they ask "okay, but what do I get for the rest of the season?", UConn answers with Randy Edsall, the last home game against regional rival Rutgers, and a chance to root against the Louisville team that beat us out for the ACC. Actually, 2013's schedule looks pretty damn good and fans might want to see UConn compete against good competition.

2. The Penny Stock Theory: UConn's value is pretty low right now, based on public perception, being constantly passed over in conference expansion, and declining attendance. And there is significant risk to investing in season tickets since, given the very real possibility that UConn won't provide much in terms of return on investment (wins). But, every now and long then, a penny stock hits a home run and yields incredible gains. Let's say UConn is able to beat Maryland, play Michigan tough, and finish the season with 8 or 9 wins, then buying season tickets in 2013 gets your foot in the door for 2014 and beyond...which might be appealing if the same 8 or 9 win season can catapult UConn into a better conference.

3. The Tailgate Theory: UConn fans have this part of the gameday experience down. In fact, may fans are late and leave early so that they can extend their tailgating fun. UConn needs to convince fans that going to the game is much funner than watching it at home. By subtly reminding people that tailgating is all part of the gameday experience (subtle reminders = pictures of tailgating groups in the season ticket package pamphlets, campaigns, etc), people might want to go. If UConn extended its tailgating hours and allowed for RV parking days before a game, then that might sway a few folks (especially those who live a little further away).

4. The Basketball School Theory: here's a marketing pitch: when you buy season tickets to football, you can buy discounted tickets or ticket packages to men's and/or women's basketball. It might be a good way to increase attendance for both sports, since both are the most televised and creates the perception of UConn around the country.

5. The UConn Loyalty Theory: piggy backing on #4, season tickets provides all account holder names and names in the group (many season tickets are sold under one name to maximize donation punch for points...the account holder can list all names of those in his/her group when buying season tickets) with discounts on Husky Wear, Husky Co-Op, Alumni Association events, unsold individual football game tickets the day of the game, away game packages, bowl game packages, basketball tickets, soccer, baseball tickets, etc. You don't need to give away the store, but showing some appreciation to all season ticket holders and everyone within their groups would be a nice "we appreciate your loyalty" gesture.

6. The Spring Game Theory: offer a one-day discount for fans who are at the spring game to be able to buy season tickets. Only available from 10am - 4pm and you need to be in person to purchase. Come down for the free game, meet the players and coaches, get some autographs for the kids, and get discounted prices on 2013 season tickets. Some current season ticket holders may be upset that they paid full price but a full stadium is in the best interest of the program and university and could be negated with the nice gestures generated in theories 4 and 5.

I think the realistic goal of the AD should be 25,000-26,000 season tickets sold. An aggressive goal should be 26,000-28,000. I do think a coaching change (at the very least, an OC change) could result in an uptick of season tickets sold. And it goes without saying that if UConn could get into a new conference between now and Towson, season tickets will increase.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
1. Michigan - Finally a big name comes to the Rent.
2. It has to better than this year, right?

That's all I got, right now.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Well thought out Dooley... Nice.

Reaction Score
I havent gotten season ticket for the last two seasons due to kids sports - coaching and watching. But, I should have a little more freedom to get them this upcoming season and will get them just because I want to see Michigan and Maryland in particular. I think those games alone will bring a decent amount of interest that you normally would not get. It is sort of back to the future when Uconn stunk in hoops we would go to games to at least see Gtown, Nova, St. John's etc.

Reaction Score
Watching UConn football will make you stronger, assuming you don't have a stroke or heart attack.

Reaction Score
Dooley - send your resume to the AD's office. They need people like you there.

Reaction Score
Well if you have trouble sleeping a ticket to see UCONN football on offense could put you to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom