New thoughts on Alex Oriakhi | The Boneyard

New thoughts on Alex Oriakhi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was being sarcastic. Yes one rebound and 6 turnovers (more like 8 if you count his wide open layups he initiated contact and missed free throws).

Reaction Score
Something has to be seriously going on upstairs with this kid - today's line. 2-5 from FT line, 4 personal fouls in 14 minutes, 1 rebound, 3 turnovers. This against...............South Florida and the formidable duo of Augustus Gilchrist and Taorlyn Fitzpatrick. Those are liability numbers. I'm calling he has an injured cerebral fortex that the staff isn't releasing.

Reaction Score
Something has to be seriously going on upstairs with this kid - today's line. 2-5 from FT line, 4 personal fouls in 14 minutes, 1 rebound, 3 turnovers. This against...............South Florida and the formidable duo of Augustus Gilchrist and Taorlyn Fitzpatrick. Those are liability numbers. I'm calling he has an injured cerebral fortex that the staff isn't releasing.
ESPN had Oriakhi with four turnovers at halftime. I can think of two more at least in the second half, so I dont know how he only had 3, but thats what it says.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
AO, please focus on these 4 things: 1) focus on positing when going for rebounds...box out every time the ball goes up
2) set really really good screens for JL
3) catch the ball first before shooting & make your layups!
4) don't even think about making an offensive move if you are more than 5 feet from the basket
The team desperately needs your strength and athleticism but point your energy in positive directions!

Reaction Score
i always thought Alex had a ton of potential but i just havent seen that much of an improvement from his freshman year until now...hes not a bad player by any stretch of the imagination. i would classify him as an average to slightly above average Big East big man

Reaction Score
Not much more to say besides this. Roscoe and AO have been mind-meltingly bad at times this year. It makes no sense, and if either of them would just settle into a role(AO: defend and rebound and dunk, Roscoe: Defend and Rebound and shoot spot up threes) they would be serviceable.

But holy crap, this is the first time in 18 months I found myself in utter despair at this team. When Roscoe botched that 3 on 1 by running DIRECTLY into the sole defender and when AO missed like 9 layups from point blank, i started screaming at the TV like it was 2009 and Dyson was playing.

For my healths sake, these guys got to get their heads in the game, its ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Poor hands, no post moves, looking to draw contact and not finish. I really wish he would start playing better. I have no clue whats his deal right now. Thought he worked on his game but I see no improvement. Hopefully he can rebound against St. Johns.

Reaction Score
AO, please focus on these 4 things: 1) focus on positing when going for rebounds...box out every time the ball goes up
2) set really really good screens for JL
3) catch the ball first before shooting & make your layups!
4) don't even think about making an offensive move if you are more than 5 feet from the basket
The team desperately needs your strength and athleticism but point your energy in positive directions!

The screens really bother me - he's more interested in rolling to the basket than being sure he's set so we can get shooters open off the curl. Always leaves it early - show him Jake V tapes!!

Reaction Score
BTW, theres no way we can have Roscoe and AO on the court at the same time unless we're purely looking for our team to just play defense. Jeremy and Napier will have to score all the points with them two in the lineup.

Reaction Score
These are "new thoughts"?
Sounds like the same old bitching that's been going on for about a month now to me.

When it's bitching like the opening of the thread I hate it. If you say it nicely and think about it though it's all true!! 1 rebound - 6'9" 255 - is that actually possible?

Reaction Score
Dude has some limitations, no doubt. He has some bad mechanics and looks stiff/not fluid with a lot of his footwork and touch with the basketball. He's not a natural by any means, ie. Andre Drummond. What he is is an Atlas of a physical specimen - the kid needs to concentrate on his strengths. That is bodying up around the rim, getting cheap points of the rebound and playing strong fundamental defense. He is just never going to be an effective back to the basket post player - that's not his skillset. He's not playing his natural role right now and he seems to want to be something he isn't - and it seems like it's frustrating him. Right now he seems like a fish out of water - reminds me a little bit of Kevin Freeman playing the 3 back in the day - just not a fit.

One might say that he was the MVP of that championship game last year - he was that dominant in the middle. Granted that was against a bunch of Amish looking big men from Butler, but he physically beat them up. So his positive attributes are enough to wreak havoc on the college level - it just seems like his focus is being something he ain't.

Reaction Score
I don't mind pointing out how poorly he's playing, just still can't stand people who trash him like he plays for Syracuse.

Reaction Score
i always thought Alex had a ton of potential but i just havent seen that much of an improvement from his freshman year until now

Really? You didn't see any improvement when he dominated Maui or played like a beast in the NCAA tourney? Look, Drummond is very good with the potential to be absurdly good. That means AO will have reduced minutes and opportunities.

He was fine tonight. He hit a big jumper and was generally solid.

Reaction Score
Dude has some limitations, no doubt. He has some bad mechanics and looks stiff/not fluid with a lot of his footwork and touch with the basketball. He's not a natural by any means, ie. Andre Drummond. What he is is an Atlas of a physical specimen - the kid needs to concentrate on his strengths. That is bodying up around the rim, getting cheap points of the rebound and playing strong fundamental defense. He is just never going to be an effective back to the basket post player - that's not his skillset. He's not playing his natural role right now and he seems to want to be something he isn't - and it seems like it's frustrating him. Right now he seems like a fish out of water - reminds me a little bit of Kevin Freeman playing the 3 back in the day - just not a fit.

One might say that he was the MVP of that championship game last year - he was that dominant in the middle. Granted that was against a bunch of Amish looking big men from Butler, but he physically beat them up. So his positive attributes are enough to wreak havoc on the college level - it just seems like his focus is being something he ain't.

I don't see where his role has changed - he did very little facing the basket last year and quite honestly with his passing inability and his hands he should live on the low blocks gulping up weakside rebounds. But instead he wants to be pretty and jump high for rebounds - how's that working right now? Back to the basics and lunch pail is all...!!

Reaction Score
These are "new thoughts"?

Sounds like the same old bitching that's been going on for about a month now to me.
Its called sarcasm genius. thats the point. just when you think hell do something he does this

Reaction Score
i always thought Alex had a ton of potential but i just havent seen that much of an improvement from his freshman year until now...hes not a bad player by any stretch of the imagination. i would classify him as an average to slightly above average Big East big man
For him it all comes down to effort. He obviously lacks certain skills as some have pointed out. And thats why its so frustrating and disappointing with him. When hes playing with effort and intensity he can be very good (see NCAA tournament). But tonight and most of the year, he just plays lazy d and watches his man go right by him finally throwing an arm up at the end for a foul. And he shows no interest in boxing out whatsoever this year. For a player to complain publicly as much as he does about playing time, the least he could do is show a little effort. Especially when your the senior member on the team.

Reaction Score
When it's bitching like the opening of the thread I hate it. If you say it nicely and think about it though it's all true!! 1 rebound - 6'9" 255 - is that actually possible?
Why do we need to say it nicely tho? Thats one thing I cant stand about this board. If hes trying then I will be nice. But when hes being lazy as hell then no I wont be nice. Show some effort. Boatright and Roscoe screw up but nobody complains because they play their butts off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom