New Student Tailgating Policy (Shocker- It Sucks) | The Boneyard

New Student Tailgating Policy (Shocker- It Sucks)

Reaction Score
FYI... Merged posts from another thread into the thread @Drew had titled/started on same topic but it threw the chronology off a bit. My bad Drew.

@Jarhead_1775 - I’ve heard some individual out of control horror show stories but from your perspective how bad was the Student Lot last year?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Reaction Score

@Jarhead_1775 - I’ve heard some individuals out of control horror show stories but from your perspective how bad was the Student Lot last year?

This is all sorts of idiotic. Tailgaiting is virtually the only sell for the kids to go so far off campus for a game played by a 1-11 team. One of UConn's only chances to allow the kids to have fun given how NIMBY-stricken Mansfield has become. There's going to be a laughable number of students at these games, perhaps even fewer than last year

Reaction Score
This is all sorts of idiotic. Drinking is virtually the only sell for the kids to go so far off campus for a game played by a 1-11 team. One of UConn's only chances to allow the kids to have fun given how NIMBY-stricken Mansfield has become. There's going to be a laughable number of students at these games, perhaps even fewer than last year

FIFY

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Hi-

Please come support our football team. It’s 25 miles away from campus, you’ll have to pay to park, you can’t bring liquor or any large quantities of liquor, and no glass. Also, no footballs or charcoal grills. Also, we aren’t going to tell you who’s hurt or who the starters are. Also, we just quit the conference we were in. Also, we had the worst statistical defense in college football history last year.

Raise the bar!

AD David Benedict

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
So 3 years ago they made a student tailgate lot with the purpose of having students tailgate but it got too rowdy so they want to basically ban it. So if you don't park in the student lot you don't have to deal with these rules? Why would any student agree to these rules, just park in the normal lot...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'm more enraged at the tone of the e-mail and the timing of it than the policy changes. The policy changes are bad, but defensible in the name of liability. But to take that kind of tone? Indefensible.

Remember that when they ask you to buy young alumni tickets.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Maybe he's just reminding the students we have a football team?

Reaction Score
This is all sorts of idiotic. Tailgaiting is virtually the only sell for the kids to go so far off campus for a game played by a 1-11 team. One of UConn's only chances to allow the kids to have fun given how NIMBY-stricken Mansfield has become. There's going to be a laughable number of students at these games, perhaps even fewer than last year
I know where you're coming from, but this isn't about the kids having fun by drinking till they can't walk. They always find a way to have fun. If they don't want to come to the football game, then go somewhere else and party. We did when we were in school. There is nothing idiotic about it. If they don't want to come to the game, don't come. If we start winning, and most importantly, get on TV, they will come.
Agreed, the tone is harsh, but I've been to many stadiums around the country, and the student sections at the tailgates are in much more control than here. Having a team worth walking into the stadium to watch has a lot to do with how much they want to drink. I hope we can turn it around this year and enjoy watching the games like we did a few years ago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is kind of lame, but we partied with canned beer most of the time in school. People really don’t need to be doing shots and drinking punch made with grain alcohol at the tailgate. For all the 18 year old girls that don’t drink beer, there are all those hard seltzer’s etc. in cans to fill that niche these days. We have to remember, this is a public place, they don’t want people having 15 shots before entering the stadium, and all these kids need to get back to campus.

Basically, drink from cans or plastic cups, don’t stand in truck beds and behave with some class. Fair enough.

The issue here will be how hard ass the cops really are. Let the kids have fun and when you see violations, kindly ask for compliance. Kids are pretty easy to get along with as long as you act cool about it. Of course, they’ll get some belligerent drunks that they need to make an example of, but that’s to be expected.

Reaction Score
I know where you're coming from, but this isn't about the kids having fun by drinking till they can't walk. They always find a way to have fun. If they don't want to come to the football game, then go somewhere else and party. We did when we were in school. There is nothing idiotic about it. If they don't want to come to the game, don't come. If we start winning, and most importantly, get on TV, they will come.
Agreed, the tone is harsh, but I've been to many stadiums around the country, and the student sections at the tailgates are in much more control than here. Having a team worth walking into the stadium to watch has a lot to do with how much they want to drink. I hope we can turn it around this year and enjoy watching the games like we did a few years ago.
i think you're just a tad out of touch. and I don't mean that to be offensive.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
FYI... Merged posts from another thread into the thread @Drew had titled/started on same topic but it threw the chronology off a bit. My bad Drew.

@Jarhead_1775 - I’ve heard some individual out of control horror show stories but from your perspective how bad was the Student Lot last year?

So the fun police have stuck once again.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That lot was an absolute $h1+ Show. It’s a miracle no one died. Are spiked seltzers considered hard alcohol? They’re like 5% but the policy says “beer and wine only.” However, ain’t no laws when you’re drinking claws.

Also, students can get a parking pass to anywhere else just like the rest of us. These rules are restricted to the specific student lot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom