New Streaming Options | The Boneyard

New Streaming Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Some new stuff that says we are heading in the right direction and BE content will have some value.

Announced 2/14
>> Aereo, a startup whose backers include media mogul Barry Diller, is launching a subscription service in New York City that provides live broadcast TV channels and network-based DVR over the Internet for $12 per month, pitched as an alternative to cable TV -- a proposition that may earn a legal fight from the broadcast industry.<<

Like many I'd pay $12 a month for local channels via internet and plug it into the next generation XBox as my home media server.

That would leave a subscription to the regional Comcast/BE sports on my must have list.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2/21/12

Comcast is launching a new subscription movie service that will give Web access to its films and TV shows.

Comcast announced a new subscription video-on-demand service today that will provide "out of home" access via the Web.

Comcast has named the new service Xfinity Streampix, and it is obviously following HBO's lead in confronting Netflix, the Web's No. 1 video rental service.

A Comcast subscriber must either be a member of one of the company's triple-play packages (high-speed Web, video, phone, etc.) or pay an additional $5 a month for Streampix
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK it's not live TV and sports via the internet and it's not an a la carte CableCard to stick in your DVR/XBox of choice and subscribe to Regional Comcast Sports and Movies for $29.95 a month.

But...we are moving closer and they (Comcast) need live content. Otherwise they are competing against NetFlix for time delayed stuff.

All the Windows 8 devices will have clients for this stuff. Things could get cheap quickly as local stations get bundled into hi-speed internet packages or via a streaming subscription channels like Aero included with every TV and Blu-ray.

Reaction Score
As of now I am able to watch every uconn home/conference football and basketball game with only an internet connection. All broadcasts on the espn family of networks get put on espn3 which can be streamed through my computer/xbox, and all CBS basketball broadcasts can be caught over the air on channel 3. If NBC is to win the next media rights deal I hope they create a similar internet platform as dropping cable has saved me a lot of cash (while I miss my yankees, lets be real I wasnt watching them every night anyway and it gives me an excuse to hit the bar).

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Unfortunately the Comcast offering is tied directly to their cable service. Doesn't help get rid of them at all. The Aereo thing is kind of neat though... if I understand correctly, you essentially "lease" an antenna that picks up all the NYC locals, which is then recorded and streamed on line. Not bad.

Reaction Score
Some new stuff that says we are heading in the right direction and BE content will have some value.

Announced 2/14
>> Aereo, a startup whose backers include media mogul Barry Diller, is launching a subscription service in New York City that provides live broadcast TV channels and network-based DVR over the Internet for $12 per month, pitched as an alternative to cable TV -- a proposition that may earn a legal fight from the broadcast industry.<<

Like many I'd pay $12 a month for local channels via internet and plug it into the next generation XBox as my home media server.

That would leave a subscription to the regional Comcast/BE sports on my must have list.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2/21/12

Comcast is launching a new subscription movie service that will give Web access to its films and TV shows.

Comcast announced a new subscription video-on-demand service today that will provide "out of home" access via the Web.

Comcast has named the new service Xfinity Streampix, and it is obviously following HBO's lead in confronting Netflix, the Web's No. 1 video rental service.

A Comcast subscriber must either be a member of one of the company's triple-play packages (high-speed Web, video, phone, etc.) or pay an additional $5 a month for Streampix
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK it's not live TV and sports via the internet and it's not an a la carte CableCard to stick in your DVR/XBox of choice and subscribe to Regional Comcast Sports and Movies for $29.95 a month.

But...we are moving closer and they (Comcast) need live content. Otherwise they are competing against NetFlix for time delayed stuff.

All the Windows 8 devices will have clients for this stuff. Things could get cheap quickly as local stations get bundled into hi-speed internet packages or via a streaming subscription channels like Aero included with every TV and Blu-ray.

That post made me feel very old. Because I'm not following 10% of what you're saying, and it's not that you didn't write clearly

Reaction Score
As of now I am able to watch every uconn home/conference football and basketball game with only an internet connection. All broadcasts on the espn family of networks get put on espn3 which can be streamed through my computer/xbox, and all CBS basketball broadcasts can be caught over the air on channel 3. If NBC is to win the next media rights deal I hope they create a similar internet platform as dropping cable has saved me a lot of cash (while I miss my yankees, lets be real I wasnt watching them every night anyway and it gives me an excuse to hit the bar).

If you want to stay sober (being a Yankee fan, why stay sober??? :D ) check out MLB.tv. Gives you all the games on the internet, iPad, etc... You can get a 1 month subscription to see if you like it. Don't know about the blackout restrictions where you live. That would be worth a bit of further research.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?product=mlbtv&affiliateId=MLBTVREDIRECT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom