OT: New songs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: New songs

QuickDraw

NCSWIC
Reaction Score
I've been out of the musical loop as well. Just writing because my brother and I were talking and we both kind of predicted a giant number of new albums will come out at the end of year since many artists are stuck home, unable to tour and probably be doing a bunch of writing.
Good point and will be something to look forward to when we get this behind us. Hopefully we will get a taste of some great stuff which seems to have happened during tough times times in the past.

Reaction Score
tcf15, that was a excellent selection. Watched that bizarre show on Net Flix. There can be only one Joe Exotic, I hope.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
She has pleasant pipes that I'm sure could do the right material justice.

This particular song, I'd leave to the J5 and Graham Parker.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
On Sirius my go-to's are 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and the different Classic Rock stations. Funny if I watch the Voice or any of those shows with my wife and she says "...don't you love this song" I just say "never heard it". She always argues with the fact that's it's always on now so I've had to. Not on those stations mentioned.

I don't know any new songs :D

Never listen to actual radio any more. I have about 5000 songs on my phone and just let it play random selections when I'm driving. Of the 5000 songs, I'd be shocked if there were much more than a hundred that are newer than 64 or so. And there are way more blues songs from the '40s and early '50s than there are songs from this century.

Every now and then, I'll randomly select a dozen or so youtube videos of newer (to me) music, and sample them. Most get killed without a full listen. When one appeals to me, I may add it to the playlist in my phone.

Reaction Score
What is everyone listening to lately? These are some newer songs that I like.
Colors by Black Puma
Bad Decisions by The Strokes
Hero by Michael Kiwanuka
So Caught Up by The Teskey Brothers
Shine A Little Light by The Black Keys
Peach Fuzz by Campp
Might Be Right by White Reaper
Black Madonna by Cage the Elephant

Check out this band the Danbees, a UConn alum manages them, San Francisco nose, down at the bar, fell off, seem like they may be up your alley.

Reaction Score
Trying to listen to more fun uplifting stuff, always love these two..
Watch "Allen Stone ft. Jamie Lidell - Taste Of You (Live at Sound Emporium)" on YouTube

Reaction Score
Colors by Black Puma
Hero by Michael Kiwanuka
Peach Fuzz by Campp
Black Pumas are legit!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
TuneIn radio app playing through the Google Home where I've been staying

"OK, Google, stream..."

WPKN
WWOZ
WFPK
WFUV
WKCR

Dozens more are favorited, but I've been satisfied going no further than these.

I've also got links to good Spotify playlists, as well as my own various streamable libraries.

'PKN gives a strong broadcast signal when I'm driving, and I'll shift to WNPR or WSHU for talk/news/info if the music isn't what I want. "Some songs I like. Some songs I don't like."

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
She has pleasant pipes that I'm sure could do the right material justice.

This particular song, I'd leave to the J5 and Graham Parker.
Different enough from the other two to be a worthwhile 3rd version.

I like an unexpected cover, like the Alex Chilton version of "My Baby Just Cares for Me" that I heard a few hours ago, after so many years of this delight...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
TuneIn radio app playing through the Google Home where I've been staying

"OK, Google, stream..."

WPKN
WWOZ
WFPK
WFUV
WKCR

Dozens more are favorited, but I've been satisfied going no further than these.

I've also got links to good Spotify playlists, as well as my own various streamable libraries.

'PKN gives a strong broadcast signal when I'm driving, and I'll shift to WNPR or WSHU for talk/news/info if the music isn't what I want. "Some songs I like. Some songs I don't like."
Great lineup of stations. Used to love FUV, especially when Meg Griffin was there; I now follow her around the Sirius dial.

Based on your tastes, you would also like WEHM (92.9 and 96.9) out of the east end of Long Island. Also WMVY from Martha's Vineyard.

I used to listen to PKN more than any other station, and I spent a fair amount of time volunteering there in the mid-90s when Harry Minot was the manager. I was trying to work my way into getting my own show, but the wait was long and then life got in the way. I loved spending time in the studio during fund drives with Harry, who was a force of nature; and also during the shows whose DJs I liked, like Bob Shapiro, Carl Frano and Cliff Furnald. I see Fran Fried now occasionally at the Sunday afternoon shows at Cafe Nine, which s/he frequently hosts.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
And It's Still Alright- Nathaniel Rateliff
Both new Tame Impala and Mac Miller albums
Trouble In Town- Coldplay
Champion of the World- Coldplay
New singles from The Strokes are good- Bad Decisions and At The Door
Hardest to Love- The Weeknd
Til I Die- Parsonsfield
Most recent Vampire Weekend album is good, although that might be like 2018 or 2019

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Great lineup of stations. Used to love FUV, especially when Meg Griffin was there; I now follow her around the Sirius dial.

Based on your tastes, you would also like WEHM (92.9 and 96.9) out of the east end of Long Island. Also WMVY from Martha's Vineyard.

I used to listen to PKN more than any other station, and I spent a fair amount of time volunteering there in the mid-90s when Harry Minot was the manager. I was trying to work my way into getting my own show, but the wait was long and then life got in the way. I loved spending time in the studio during fund drives with Harry, who was a force of nature; and also during the shows whose DJs I liked, like Bob Shapiro, Carl Frano and Cliff Furnald. I see Fran Fried now occasionally at the Sunday afternoon shows at Cafe Nine, which s/he frequently hosts.

EHM's signal is unfortunately too variable to be more than a preset that sometimes works in New Haven. I enjoy the rare commercial stations that play a good mix, and appreciate their advertisers all the more for it. There's one in the Hudson River Valley like tgat, and I get the impression that @QDOG5 is saying his Chicago station is like that. Perhaps one of your older siblings listened to Meg Griffin on WPIX when you were just before the age I was during the British Invasion.

When I first started spending time in Fairfield County in 1977, the first and most enduring advice I was given was to listen to 'PKN. I've come to meet and know many connected with it over the span of time, with others simply being virtual fixtures in my life for decades, such as all you mentioned.

Fran I've run into more recently at Best Video and Wentworth's Ice Cream; I've been on Sundays to Cafe Nine with others hosting.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
EHM's signal is unfortunately too variable to be more than a preset that sometimes works in New Haven. I enjoy the rare commercial stations that play a good mix, and appreciate their advertisers all the more for it. There's one in the Hudson River Valley like tgat, and I get the impression that @QDOG5 is saying his Chicago station is like that. Perhaps one of your older siblings listened to Meg Griffin on WPIX when you were just before the age I was during the British Invasion.

When I first started spending time in Fairfield County in 1977, the first and most enduring advice I was given was to listen to 'PKN. I've come to meet and know many connected with it over the span of time, with others simply being virtual fixtures in my life for decades, such as all you mentioned.

Fran I've run into more recently at Best Video and Wentworth's Ice Cream; I've been on Sundays to Cafe Nine with others hosting.
I know that Hudson Valley station; my friend who lives in Litchfield listens to it, especially when he's working in Sharon and that area, and we listen to it when driving from his house to ski at Catamount.

My siblings were mostly into WPLR, I-95 and WPLJ, as well as the then-new "The Apple," for which I can't remember the call letters. I listened to all that and everything else I could hear. AM was actually pretty great and varied in those days, too, and that's what was usually on in the kitchen or in the car on family trips.

I started collecting thrown-away radios on "junk day" when I was around eight years old, and I used to take them apart and try to create a super-antenna to draw in far-away stations and hear different stuff. I remember spending literally night after night in my room, stretching out wire, hangers or whatever else I could connect to the antenna, and going up and down the dial listening for sounds I had never heard before, including foreign languages and spoken word.

I don't recall them or me knowing of Meg in those days, although I sure wish I did. I don't know her personally, but she's as close as I have found to a musical soulmate in terms of disc jockeys. I'm still trying to recover from the Loft going off the air and her daily show with it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Better material?

Great song. Great cover.

I love Susan Tedeschi's cover, too.

But I really, really love the original. And it still stuns me that it was an outtake. A friggin' outtake!!!

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
Be Afraid by Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit.

I think this is a good song, on par with Hope the High Road as a relatively safe lead single. My gripes are with Dave Cobb's production. After some of the finest work the genre has seen, he's fallen off a cliff with Live at the Ryman and also this track. It's not good.

My additions:

I concur on Gary Clark, Jr.
Adding Andrew Bird's album "My Finest Work Yet", Bellevue Bridge Club being my favorite.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Be Afraid by Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit.
I think this is a good song, on par with Hope the High Road as a relatively safe lead single. My gripes are with Dave Cobb's production. After some of the finest work the genre has seen, he's fallen off a cliff with Live at the Ryman and also this track. It's not good.
I agree. He needs to find a new vein to mine.

Did you see him when he played Arch St. in Hartford in 2012 and 2013? That was pretty awesome.

Reaction Score

It's impressive that PKN is still on the air. I go there a few times a few times a year but with Spotify and SXM I rarely listen to terrestrial radio.
While here I'll suggest the song Texas Sun. You get 2 for the price of one with Leon Bridges teaming up with Khruangbin.

Reaction Score
Colors by Black Puma
Hero by Michael Kiwanuka
Peach Fuzz by Campp

lots of stuff by Cautious Clay, but especially Swim Home

Reaction Score

We listen to WEHM on my buddy's boat down in Old Saybrook. Comes in okay at the marina. Good stuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom