New series with California announced | The Boneyard

New series with California announced

Reaction Score
I thought UConn was playing at UCLA next year? That would be her home game.

Reaction Score
Four-game series starting next year in Connecticut. Means the game in Cal in 2018 can serve as KLS' homecoming game.
Hmmm. Berkeley is 413 miles from Huntington Beach. Guess the fam is accustomed to going up to Palo Alto anyway (394 miles). (Although Stanford comes to LA every year to play UCLA & USC.)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I thought UConn was playing at UCLA next year? That would be her home game.

Well, most homecoming games are set for the player's senior season. UCLA could count though.

Reaction Score
In the past, UConn has scheduled two games. I went to the games at UC davis and The Univ. of the Pacific (the circus come to town.)

The latter game was the best game in Heather Buck;s career. I think she scored 17 pioints. She established position dodwn low and was demanding the ball.I was in the first row and could see her eyes focused on our guards.

I told a local that she was a bench player- he couldn't believe it. Add that to the performance against Baylor and she will always be a mystery to me.

Of course, the highlight for the ages was her steal and lay up, and her pure joy from head to toe as she ran alone up court to the thunder of the crowd.

Reaction Score
Well, most homecoming games are set for the player's senior season. UCLA could count though.

Not always. It's just whenever UConn is near the players' home and friends & family can come watch. Any of the games at SMU would've been Mo's "home games" for example; any game at DePaul for Morgan, etc.

Reaction Score
Cal (Berkeley) is over 400 miles from her home, hardly a "home" game When Syracuse wouldn't schedule a game last year UConn played Colgate which is about 40 miles from Breanna Stewart's home. USC or UCLA or Pepperdine would work for Katie Lou.

Reaction Score
Speaking of games close to players homes:

Kia Nurse (Ontario) -- vs Duquesne @ Toronto, next year
Natalie Butler (Fairfax VA) -- @Maryland this year
Gabby Williams (Reno NV) -- @Oregon/@UCLA, next year (~7 hrs)

Azura Stevens (Raleigh NC) -- next game @East Carolina
KLS (So Cal) -- @UCLA, next year
Napheesa Collier (near St Louis MO) -- @Nebraska this year, @DePaul next year (?)

Batouly Camara (NYC) -- home game at Bridgeport next year (?), any UConn home game, games @Temple
Molly Bent (Cape Cod) -- any UConn home game
Kyla Irwin (State College PA) -- games @ Temple (~3 hrs)
Crystal Dangerfield (Nashville TN) -- games @ Memphis (~3 hrs)​

[Note - before the perfectionists get in a tizzy - the cities listed are not necessarily the hometowns, but the closest more-recognizable names]

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Batouly Camara (NYC) -- home game at Bridgeport next year

I'd love to get another game at the Garden for her senior year (much like the Maryland game last season). Wouldn't matter who we play it would for sure be a home game for her.

Worse to worse UCONN is the 6th bourough so any home game can be her home game lol

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Cal (Berkeley) is over 400 miles from her home, hardly a "home" game When Syracuse wouldn't schedule a game last year UConn played Colgate which is about 40 miles from Breanna Stewart's home. USC or UCLA or Pepperdine would work for Katie Lou.
Loyola Marymount is bringing in a very good freshman next year(Kelsey Gipson), has Cal transfer Gabby Green(I believe Lou played on one of the 3x3 teams with), and has two of Lou's pg's(Velasco sisters) from Mater Dei on the team.
Cal State Northridge gave Michigan State a good game this year.
Long Beach State would get killed(lost to Duke this year by 30), but Lou played on their court in HS.
2 other schools to play, UConn would score 115+ are UC Irvine(15 minutes from Lou's home) and Cal State Fullerton(Lou lived in Fullerton for a few years)

Reaction Score
Next year, UConn's west coast swing is UCLA & Oregon.
The year after will be Cal, and isn't the Stanford series still possibly being resumed? That would be a lot better 2-fer than the games against UC-Davis or some other chump.

Reaction Score
In the past, UConn has scheduled two games. I went to the games at UC davis and The Univ. of the Pacific (the circus come to town.)

The latter game was the best game in Heather Buck;s career. I think she scored 17 pioints. She established position dodwn low and was demanding the ball.I was in the first row and could see her eyes focused on our guards.

I told a local that she was a bench player- he couldn't believe it. Add that to the performance against Baylor and she will always be a mystery to me.

Of course, the highlight for the ages was her steal and lay up, and her pure joy from head to toe as she ran alone up court to the thunder of the crowd.
Mystery indeed.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The year after will be Cal, and isn't the Stanford series still possibly being resumed? That would be a lot better 2-fer than the games against UC-Davis or some other chump.
Rutgers did the Stanford / Cal thing one year. We actually went and made a vacation of it.

Rutgers also did a tourney at Pepperdine one year, and yes, another time they played at Pacific. I think the Pacific game was part of the same holiday trip to a tourney in Tempe.

Reaction Score
Living in Berkeley I couldn't be more thrilled. I planned on seeing UConn in Eugene and maybe LA next season but this is more than I could have hoped. To put it charitably, Lindsay Gottlieb is not known for scheduling a very demanding ooc. By 2018-19 UConn should have won the last six national championships so Haas Stadium should be rocking.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Living in Berkeley I couldn't be more thrilled. I planned on seeing UConn in Eugene and maybe LA next season but this is more than I could have hoped. To put it charitably, Lindsay Gottlieb is not known for scheduling a very demanding ooc. By 2018-19 UConn should have won the last six national championships so Haas Stadium should be rocking.

I was just about to say that this is a major upgrade in Cal's OOC. This year they played Oklahoma and no one else in the top 100.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I love all of this "UConn coming to the west coast" talk. I don't care when they come, or who they play. Anytime they come to the west coast, I'll be attending the game(s). There are numerous Division 1 colleges and universities up and down the coast they can choose from.

They don't come out here often enough to suit me. I was at the UC Davis/Stanford games in 2014. It was bitter sweet. That was the first time I got to see them in person. I was excited to see them in live right in front of me, but I did not enjoy watching them lose a game they should have won.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I think the most important thing when UConn comes west is to take advantage of the SUN.
A tan in November or December can last many weeks.
Dont forget your surfboards!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Plus, California is a huge state. Cal Berkley is about an hour away from Stanford so that would be an excellent road trip to combine...

Reaction Score
Since this will be asked about 978 times before next season, here's the non-conference schedule:

In its 2017-18 non-league schedule, UConn will
  • host California, Louisville, Maryland, Notre Dame and Oklahoma;
  • play at DePaul, Ohio State, South Carolina, Texas and UCLA; and have
  • neutral-site games vs Duquesne (in Toronto) and Michigan State (in Eugene OR).
  • one game TBD

Reaction Score
If you recall a while back I mentioned that I couldn't disclose who but a deal had been reached to give KLS a good opponent homecoming game; well this is it, and it will be against senior Anigwe too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom