New rules made this game unwatchable | The Boneyard

New rules made this game unwatchable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Boston College made a grand total of 11(!) 2 point field goals. Basically the last 10 minutes of this game were just walking from one side of the court to shoot free throws to the other side.

The new rules were made with the intention of increasing scoring and making the game more "watchable". Well scoring was up in this game, but it was hardly watchable unless you watch basketball to watch a free throw contest.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I kinda agree. Was not looking forward to the last 10 minutes being a fouls shooting contest. And I was expecting a foul to be called on Boat on that last play.

Question...did Omar play tonight?

Reaction Score
I agree, I know any kind of change is a tough pill to swallow but I hate change that you can't just tell will never have the desired affects it was meant to have. I really hope it is a short phase kinda like when the NBA last year was T'ing up every guy who smiled awkwardly at a ref's whistle, that fad has quickly disappeared because guys are back to throwing up there arms over everything again with no repercussions. I just hope the head of officials in the NCAA can realize that he is making a disgrace out of an amazing game.

U

UCONNfan1

I disagree. Teams need to learn not to foul. Scoring should be way up because defenders can't do what they used to be able to do. If teams don't learn that, they will spend the entire game at the FT line. It's on coaches and players to learn the rules and abide by them.

By the way, these rules were pushed for by the coaches, weren't they? To allow for more free flowing offense?

Reaction Score
The thing I don't get is I figured the new rules would benefit us tremendously. I expected Bazz and Boat to live at the line, and all I'm seeing is a whole bunch of guys in the wrong jerseys in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Teams need to learn not to foul. Scoring should be way up because defenders can't do what they used to be able to do. If teams don't learn that, they will spend the entire game at the FT line. It's on coaches and players to learn the rules and abide by them.

By the way, these rules were pushed for by the coaches, weren't they? To allow for more free flowing offense?

All that rule does is completely suck the passion out of defense......Both teams tonight played defense like they were walking on eggshells. I don't want to see attrition contests. Who has the best 9 player off their bench. Forget all this lets get more scoring rah rah garbage, all its doing is causing guys to treat the games like they are playing on the street with their hands by their sides and giving up on a guy after he gets a step on you....................

Reaction Score

I don't mind fouls for hands and whatever, but offensive players get to plow into defenders, defenders can't move laterally, you can push off defenders, and then the craziest call of all, when someone goes for a pump fake, you have to let them land without contact.

So, now lateral defense, no pump fakes, and watch out for constant pushoffs.

Reaction Score
We have been getting the short end of the stick with the new rules so far. Ollie needs to coach them up a bit more on how to operate within the new dynamic.

U

UCONNfan1

We have been getting the short end of the stick with the new rules so far. Ollie needs to coach them up a bit more on how to operate within the new dynamic.
That's kind of what I meant. But I do get the complaints. Thing is, the rules aren't going to change any time soon. If we are getting the short end of the officiating, Ollie needs to go at the refs. If the team is not adjusting to the new rules, it's up to the coaches to teach them.

Reaction Score

Up until tonight we had done better than most teams I've watched. Boatright did a lot of reaching, but Hanlan also figured out that "freedom of movement" also applies to your off-arm. It was criminal what he got away with tonight.

Reaction Score
Somehow the new rule which is supposed to make the game flow better made that game as unwatchable as I've ever seen. I have a feeling this is not going to work. It's going to be a pre-conference play ugly-fest and then once conference play starts they'll likely lay off the calls and we'll be right back to where we were. Maybe there will be less impedance, making it worth having 2 months of unwatchable hoops, but I'm not so sure.

But if they keep calling it all season long, it's going to be the worst year of college hoops ever. I don't know how players can completely keep their hands off the offensive players without having their hands tied behind their backs. Smart teams are going to drive the ball right at defenders and live at the line. That's not much fun to watch. It's like having the foul fest you sometimes see in the NBA without the highlight reel plays between the fouls. Soon I'll be hating college hoops as much as I hate NBA regular season games.

U

UCONNfan1

Somehow the new rule which is supposed to make the game flow better made that game as unwatchable as I've ever seen. I have a feeling this is not going to work. It's going to be a pre-conference play ugly-fest and then once conference play starts they'll likely lay off the calls and we'll be right back to where we were. Maybe there will be less impedance, making it worth having 2 months of unwatchable hoops, but I'm not so sure.

But if they keep calling it all season long, it's going to be the worst year of college hoops ever. I don't know how players can completely keep their hands off the offensive players without having their hands tied behind their backs. Smart teams are going to drive the ball right at defenders and live at the line. That's not much fun to watch. It's like having the foul fest you sometimes see in the NBA without the highlight reel plays between the fouls. Soon I'll be hating college hoops as much as I hate NBA regular season games.
Or defenders will need to learn to move and defend with their feet,not their hands. And they will need help defense for blow by's, and shot blockers should have a field day.

Ultimately you may be right. I honestly don't know what the solution is. But I do think the coaches need to restructure how they play defense. If that means defenders are unable to stop drivers to the hoop, either a shot blocker will need to meet them, or teams will have to learn how to outscore the opponents...

Reaction Score
Or defenders will need to learn to move and defend with their feet,not their hands. And they will need help defense for blow by's, and shot blockers should have a field day.

Defense was already hard enough without the new rule. On-ball defense is damn near impossible now......I completely agree with Dogmania.......It's not about "guys needing to learn how to play better defense" it's impossible to play defense in its truest form the way they created the game back in the 1800's because guys are way to quick and athletic. People who say it's a good that they are finally enforcing the rules the way it was written in the book the whole time aren't seeing the bigger picture. Defenders are just going to get more apathetic. "O well, I gotta let him get to the lane cuz I can't pick up my 7th foul, take the wide open layup cuz I'm just gonna get you off balance and drive at your hip and get to the line next play down the court."

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The flow of the game was non existent. I know it's what refs have been directed to call, but dear Lord this game was unwatchable at times.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
It's also leaking into some awfully bad calls in the post too. As soon as the ball goes into the paint its an auto whistle. Its really frustrating.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
It's driving me crazy the way all the players are running around with their hands up in the air like they're hostages in a bank robbery.

Reaction Score
I like it. Really has opened up the floor.

The problem is really that the NCAA has terrible refereeing. So, rather than call the rules consistently on both ends of the floor(see: Hanlan, Olivier; Stiff Arm) the terrible refs have interpreted it as disallowing any defense.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as you do not use your hands and move your feet, you NEED TO BE ABLE TO OWN LATERAL defensive position.

Long-term it is a good rule and will have similar impact to the NBA game. But until these refs calibrate correctly WOOO its gonna be interesting.

IMHO, once we get in the bonus, the offense should be 20-25 seconds of Bazz and Boat just taking turns ISO from the top of the key. Dribble at the defensive player, try to draw a foul; then when 10 seconds on the clock, run a high PnR and get a good shot

I'm not even joking about that BTW. Its a free 2 pts every trip.

Reaction Score
Or even better, force a switch so the best opposing perimeter player is on bazz/boat, and just iso that player till he has 2 fouls in 1st half. should be pretty easy. maybe 4-5 iso's max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom