New Reality | The Boneyard

New Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I will preface this by saying I expected big things from this team this season. Yes I knew there were a lot of unknowns in terms of chemistry, but I agreed with a lot of people that on paper we had as much or more talent on this roster as any team since 2009.

But we this new conference we live in a new reality. Out of conference play. Yes it was important when we belonged in the Big East, but it didn't necessarily define you. Being in the American now, it surely feels like it does.

UConn has played a good OOC schedule for years, whether it was playing in Maui, the Preseason NIT, etc. And we wanted to win those games. But we always knew in the back of our minds that we had Big East play to get quality wins.

That safety net is gone. UConn has to play a ton of good teams OOC, and play them early. And win them. And we have struggled with that. While I believe Michigan is a good win, losing games to Syracuse, Gonzaga and Maryland on neutral courts hurts. Yes 2 of 3 are probably Top 10-12 teams. But we have blown huge opportunities.

There is still a lot of season left. But I could argue that we have played against the 2 best teams we will all season already on Dec. 9th in terms of Gonzaga/Maryland. Yes, I understand Cincy and SMU could be in that league, but I am not sure they are.

A lot of us worried that UCONN's chemistry may take a while to develop. It certainly has, but being in this new league, we really can't afford it if we want to get a protected seed. It is what it is now. Hopefully we can become a better team. The one thing I will come back to is that defensive principals take time. And this is a year where I don't believe there are a ton of elite teams. Meaning the difference between being a 6 seed and a 3 seed is small.

Reaction Score
I will preface this by saying I expected big things from this team this season. Yes I knew there were a lot of unknowns in terms of chemistry, but I agreed with a lot of people that on paper we had as much or more talent on this roster as any team since 2009.

But we this new conference we live in a new reality. Out of conference play. Yes it was important when we belonged in the Big East, but it didn't necessarily define you. Being in the American now, it surely feels like it does.

UConn has played a good OOC schedule for years, whether it was playing in Maui, the Preseason NIT, etc. And we wanted to win those games. But we always knew in the back of our minds that we had Big East play to get quality wins.

That safety net is gone. UConn has to play a ton of good teams OOC, and play them early. And win them. And we have struggled with that. While I believe Michigan is a good win, losing games to Syracuse, Gonzaga and Maryland on neutral courts hurts. Yes 2 of 3 are probably Top 10-12 teams. But we have blown huge opportunities.

There is still a lot of season left. But I could argue that we have played against the 2 best teams we will all season already on Dec. 9th in terms of Gonzaga/Maryland. Yes, I understand Cincy and SMU could be in that league, but I am not sure they are.

A lot of us worried that UCONN's chemistry may take a while to develop. It certainly has, but being in this new league, we really can't afford it if we want to get a protected seed. It is what it is now. Hopefully we can become a better team. The one thing I will come back to is that defensive principals take time. And this is a year where I don't believe there are a ton of elite teams. Meaning the difference between being a 6 seed and a 3 seed is small.

All 3 teams that beat us could easily fade. Maryland looked great against us, and not that good against others. A crappy Wisconsin team thoroughly handled a Syracuse team coming off a loss to a Georgetown team that has racked up some losses. Gonzaga struggled with Montana last night and could have lost at the buzzer.

UConn might have lost to teams that won't be anywhere near the top 10.

UConn also plays SMU twice. We don't know how good they'll be.

Reaction Score

I don't even think the Zags and Maryland are that good, which makes our lame performances even more annoying.

Reaction Score
If any of you have seen SMU and Cinci play, you are in for a rude awakening. They are physical and excellent. It will take a great effort for UConn to split the series with these two teams in AAC play. SMU has no postseason and they are playing their season like it is their tournament and that they have something to prove. If UConn falters in the AAC with a couple losses to these teams and a few surprise losses here and there, coupled with this bad OOC performance to date, a tourney berth is far from certain.

Reaction Score
I don't even think the Zags and Maryland are that good, which makes our lame performances even more annoying.
Where does this come from? Maryland shot terrible from 3 against us 22%, could have had a 30 point lead. The Zags coach basically said they played like crap in the second half, so you go by what the teams did. They played bad and beat us. And what we've done so far against 3 good programs is consistent not an anomaly, consistently bad. It's early but a couple more lemons and we are in a fight to even make the field.

Reaction Score
Some people post on here as if it costs Tom money for each new thread that is created. The guy has an opinion he would like to contribute. If that is the case, then so be it.

Reaction Score
Some people post on here as if it costs Tom money for each new thread that is created. The guy has an opinion he would like to contribute. If that is the case, then so be it.
Says the tool with under his handle

Reaction Score
Says the tool with under his handle
You have contributed greatly to last evenings conversations. I'm actually impressed that you were able to post something without your signature "" added in. Congrats.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
All 3 teams that beat us could easily fade. Maryland looked great against us, and not that good against others. A crappy Wisconsin team thoroughly handled a Syracuse team coming off a loss to a Georgetown team that has racked up some losses. Gonzaga struggled with Montana last night and could have lost at the buzzer.

Yes, but every team is going to have losses this year. No great teams at all. UCONN just needs to have less losses than most.

Reaction Score

Don't know about you, but I thought Maryland was the longest team I've ever seen in a college game. They are certainly deep and tough in the front court and with Trimble seem like a certain Final 4 team by my observation.
The overall rebounding differential told the story about how our bigs just couldn't compete with them... By the time our guards figured out that they had to score, we were already down by 20.

I certainly think we'll pick up the win pace once we get into the AAC schedule but key to our success will be how we play SMU and Cincy. 2 last chances against top level OOC team in OSU and G'town and hopefully with both at home, we can pick up some W's.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Don't know about you, but I thought Maryland was the longest team I've ever seen in a college game. They are certainly deep and tough in the front court and with Trimble seem like a certain Final 4 team by my observation.

Dunno, UK 2014-15 was like a duckckin forest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom