New radiohead | The Boneyard

New radiohead

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
What do you guys think of A Moon Shaped Pool? I've listened to it all the way through once and I'm really happy with it. A lot of the songs on here have been kicking around for a long time, but it still sounds "new" overall. I have a feeling I'll probably listen to this more than I did the last couple of radiohead albums.

In case you've been under a rock for the past week, here's the lead single...

Reaction Score
I haven't thought too highly of Radiohead since In Rainbows primarily because I've gotten a bit sick of their commitment to ambient, spacey, trance-like hymns. AMSP pretty much epitomizes how stale their sound has grown to be in my opinion because it seems it relies too heavily on synthesizers and other electronics. I know there's a few fleeting instances of actual instruments coming throughout the album but I feel like they've cast aside guitars and drums in favor of synths and pianos a bit much between this and their last album. I'm not saying I'd ideally like for every song to be Creep, Karma Police, etc. but I think some heavier instrumentation would thicken the album and make it a bit more memorable/give it some flavor. Overall, at first listen there's really no song that I'm inclined to listen to again. But then again I can be a cynical music snob so I'm glad you enjoyed it more than I did.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I have really been enjoying it. I think I have most likely listened to it front to back about 10 times now. Stand out tracks for me are Decks Dark, Ful Stop, & The Numbers. It might not be their best release, but I think it's comparable to HTTT or Amnesiac quality wise, which I think are both great albums w/ a few flaws. It is definitely a bit slower and somber (if that's possible) than previous albums. I guess it's a bit of a breakup album for Thom. The orchestral work is great. There are moments where I feel the sound gets muddled, or the tempo changes are a bit off putting, but in the end it works. It most certainly has its moments of beauty, but maybe lacks a big punch. It might not be a huge leap in sound progression, but it manages to feel fresh while also hitting on what made some of their other albums so great. If you are looking for them to return to the sound of the Bends you will be disappointed, but I am not sure why anyone would expect that. I think its safe to say they have not become tired of making music together, which is amazing for a band that has been together for over 30 years now. I'm just hoping this isn't their swan song. "Don't Leave".

I have been thinking with True Love Waits - Did Thom write this for his partner 23 years ago? That's how long they were together until they finally broke up this past year, and that's essentially when the song originally surfaced. Crazy to think he may have wrote it at the beginning of their relationship and couldn't quite complete the song until the relationship ended.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger
Top Bottom