New "Power 36" rankings | The Boneyard

New "Power 36" rankings

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Gonzaga will never win it all unless they join the PAC as a bball only. So hard to the gauntlet when you play 18 mostly noncompetitive games January through March

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Gonzaga will never win it all unless they join the PAC as a bball only. So hard to the gauntlet when you play 18 mostly noncompetitive games January through March

It makes it more difficult, but not "never."
UConn women won a few championships even when they played 18 totally noncompetitive games each year. If they were in a better conference the last few years, I think they would have won a few more.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It makes it more difficult, but not "never."
UConn women won a few championships even when they played 18 totally noncompetitive games each year. If they were in a better conference the last few years, I think they would have won a few more.
Part of their “slip” if you can call it that has been the “renegade” approach of other coaches at places like USCe, Baylor, Notre Dame, Oregon, etc. Telling recruits come here and BEAT UConn. Also, there is definitely some misandry aimed at Geno by the Mulkeys and McGraws of the sport telling recruits they should play for a woman coach.

A big part of it is also beating ECU by 60 points in a conference tournament game. They play all the top schools OOC but 5 or 6 games is nothing compared to the WBB being played in leagues like the PAC, Big12, SEC, and ACC. I don’t know much about WBB in Big East but it’s not great, possibly worse than AAC.

THIS is exactly my point. You can get to the Elite 8 every year and a few final 4s but it’s so hard to seal the deal.

Reaction Score
Guess AD Dave blew it on the Hurley hire. Picked to finish thirty-third in his third year? :rolleyes:

Behind the:
$Billionaire makers at RU,
Luke Garza in his 8th year at Iowa,
Gonzaga once again touted for the #1 spot and a championship and poised for another bust,
Providence and the electric Jared Bynum, and
To answer the big question--when have the Jayhawks disappointed? Every year they don't play Calipari.............

EDIT: added the emoji for those with no sense of humor.

Reaction Score
Also, there is definitely some misandry aimed at Geno by the Mulkeys and McGraws of the sport telling recruits they should play for a woman coach.

Thats absolutely disgraceful and pathetic if true. I highly doubt Geno was telling girls to "come play for a man" when he was building the program. I think itd be funny to point out to them that it is a man who is the greatest coach in the sports history.

Reaction Score
Guess AD Dave blew it on the Hurley hire. Picked to finish thirty-third in his third year? :rolleyes:

Behind the:
Gonzaga once again touted for the #1 spot and a championship and poised for another bust,
To answer the big question--when have the Jayhawks disappointed? Every year they don't play Calipari.............

Something about those Iowa big men..
Garza in his 8th year at Iowa
I also heard at the urinal that Georges Niang is still at Iowa State.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Behind the:

Rutgers being picked ahead of us is hard to believe. I was never blown away by them last year, and they really only added a backup center to their roster.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Gonzaga is an unbelievably well coached team and he seems to find those diamonds in the rough and is now getting some high ranked players
I'd love to be playing in the Elite 8 every year
Muffet is a damn good coach - she does say some outlandish things but Geno is not shy in that department either
If Uconn finishes in the top 30 - I'm happy

Reaction Score
I haven’t been as interested in CBB as a whole the last few years to be honest, but I figure Few has stuck to the idea of keeping kids 3-4 years. You figure by year three they’ve played some tournament games at least, given they’re always there

They’ve been getting deep consistently and I don’t see how a change to the PAC12 would change that much. Few can just recruit himself now, doesn’t need conference affiliation

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
I haven’t been as interested in CBB as a whole the last few years to be honest, but I figure Few has stuck to the idea of keeping kids 3-4 years. You figure by year three they’ve played some tournament games at least, given they’re always there

They’ve been getting deep consistently and I don’t see how a change to the PAC12 would change that much. Few can just recruit himself now, doesn’t need conference affiliation

A big part of Gonzaga's success in the last decade has also been through recruiting internationally where they can really find some highly skilled players that the big schools don't notice. They've put a number of international guys into the NBA (Olynyk, Sabonis, Hachimura), plus had great college-level international guys like a Kevin Pangos, Elias Harris, and Karnowski.

The WCC isn't the Big East or ACC, but it's been consistently a top 10 conference the last few years, especially after adding BYU. Yes there are consistent doormats like Loyola Marymount or Portland, but those teams aren't that much worse than a DePaul or BC, which I'd consider the doormats of the BE and ACC.

In case it's not obvious, I'm a dual UConn/Gonzaga fan so while I'm biased, I don't think the WCC holds them back as much as it could, and especially not as much as it did a decade ago. What has the Pac 12 done in the tournament lately outside of the 3 consecutive Final Fours from UCLA in the mid-00's?

Reaction Score
The Big Ten has as many teams in the top 25 as the SEC, ACC, and Big East combined. Seven of the top 18 are Big Ten schools including Rutgers at 13 and Indiana, who made a huge jump from 31 to 18.
Jesus, does this guy work for the Big Ten or something?

Reaction Score
Rutgers being picked ahead of us is hard to believe. I was never blown away by them last year, and they really only added a backup center to their roster.
Here’s how ridiculous this poll is... The author(s) pretty much say, hey, we don’t know who the heck is on that Florida State team but that Hamilton guy sure can coach! So what the heck, we’ll rank them 21!
That’s all you need to know about the credibility of this poll.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom