New Podcast! The Evolution of Paige Bueckers | The Boneyard

New Podcast! The Evolution of Paige Bueckers

Reaction Score
Hi all,

Last week Mirin Fader wrote a fantastic profile of Paige Bueckers for The Ringer. I had her on The Connecticut Scoreboard Podcast to discuss the piece. Hope you enjoy the episode!

Thanks for uploading this podcast. I enjoyed it immensely and I am a big fan of Mirin Fader. It is ironic that Paige has been historically described as a pass first/shoot second type player, for when healthy, she's a 20-pt per game scorer. As of now, she has UConn's record for highest career per game scoring average at 19.8, slightly ahead of all-time great Maya Moore. Her average would be higher if not for the second half of her sophomore year, when she played limited minutes after returning from injuries.

The most amazing stat about Paige as a combo guard/small forward is her shooting percentage. Each of her 3 years, she has shot over 50% from the field. This is partly attributable to her high basketball I.Q., and her on court awareness. Rarely does she force a bad shot and she's mindful of ball possession, as evidence by her assist to turnover ratio.

I'm excited to see a more aggressive version of Paige. I doubt she will force bad shots because she has the natural talent/ability to put herself into position to take a good or better one.

There will be plenty of opportunities during the Big East schedule for Paige to facilitate and get other players more involved. However, UConn's schedule is front-loaded, and with a relatively young and untested squad, it's incumbent for the "new" version of Paige to stamp her imprint on the game from the onset, and to lead her teammates, being the team's go-to scorer, at least early on in the season.

Reaction Score
If anyone prefers audio to video, here's an audio link to listen. Appreciate all the support!

Reaction Score
Hi all,

Last week Mirin Fader wrote a fantastic profile of Paige Bueckers for The Ringer. I had her on The Connecticut Scoreboard Podcast to discuss the piece. Hope you enjoy the episode!

One of the best sports interviews/conversations I've watched in a long time.

Reaction Score
Nice video. Very informative. One thing I found… perplexing … that’s the word…was the closing remarks about how Paige has to solve something and that winning an NC is like that. There’s something to this, and it may also be simply how a coach has to frame things for his star. But from a fan’s perspective this seems inaccurate. The NCs she didn’t win — she had three shots at it — It really seemed to me that the team she was tasked with carrying over the finish line let her down (either through injury or illness or just plain succumbing to pressure) rather than that she left something undone.

A couple examples: in her freshman year they lost to Arkansas early on, their only loss before the tournament, she really did take over too late, especially given the incredible shooting tear Chelsea Dungee was on. But the loss to Arizona was absolutely not her fault. The entire Arizona defense keyed on her and the rest of the offense sputtered.

Sophomore year, she comes back from a devastating injury to carry a team with 4 seniors around her, all of whom would be drafted into the W, and yet they’re still waiting on her to pull their coals out of the fire. Fair enough, she’s that great. She’s practically held together by duct tape and she’s still the only reason they even make it past the Elite Eight game. And when they get to the NC, Dorka is gone, Liv and Azzi have the flu, Caroline is gimpy from a hip problem that will require surgery shortly and it all comes down to Paige.

In justice, those were not problems for Paige to solve, and I doubt Christyn or Olivia or Evina think of them like that. She did everything she could under those conditions. But what about last season? She carried another thin patchwork team past USC and Juju — remember the free throw debacle? — only to not get a chance at a winning shot in the closing seconds against Iowa. That’s also not her problem to solve. But maybe she could be faulted for a poor shooting night, for letting a team of freshman feel too much of the pressure. That’s as close as I can come to seeing any of these as problems Paige didn’t solve.

But this is all from a fan’s perspective, and it may not be the best way for Geno to let Paige think about it. After all, Diana carried uneven teams to NCs, as did Maya. Maybe it’s just necessary for Paige to think of herself as the primary responsible player, to look at all the prior shortfalls as problems she didn’t solve, in order to join their company on Mt. Storrsmore. But this fan can’t help thinking it’s unfair.

Last edited:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Nice video. Very informative. One thing I found… perplexing … that’s the word…was the closing remarks about how Paige has to solve something and that winning an NC is like that. There’s something to this, and it may also be simply how a coach has to frame things for his star. But from a fan’s perspective this seems inaccurate. The NCs she didn’t win — she had three shots at it — It really seemed to me that the team she was tasked with carrying over the finish line let her down (either through injury or illness or just plain succumbing to pressure) rather than that she left something undone.

A couple examples: in her freshman year they lost to Arkansas early on, their only loss before the tournament, she really did take over too late, especially given the incredible shooting tear Chelsea Dungee was on. But the loss to Arizona was absolutely not her fault. The entire Arizona defense keyed on her and the rest of the offense sputtered.

Sophomore year, she comes back from a devastating injury to carry a team with 4 seniors around her, all of whom would be drafted into the W, and yet they’re still waiting on her to pull their coals out of the fire. Fair enough, she’s that great. She’s practically held together by duct tape and she’s still the only reason they even make it past the Elite Eight game. And when they get to the NC, Dorka is gone, Liv and Azzi have the flu, Caroline is gimpy from a hip problem that will require surgery shortly and it all comes down to Paige.

In justice, those were not problems for Paige to solve, and I doubt Christyn or Olivia or Evina think of them like that. She did everything she could under those conditions. But what about last season? She carried another thin patchwork team past USC and Juju — remember the free throw debacle? — only to not get a chance at a winning shot in the closing seconds against Iowa. That’s also not her problem to solve. But maybe she could be faulted for a poor shooting night, for letting a team of freshman feel too much of the pressure. That’s as close as I can come to seeing any of these as problems Paige didn’t solve.

But this is all from a fan’s perspective, and it may not be the best way for Geno to let Paige think about it. After all, Diana carried uneven teams to NCs, as did Maya. Maybe it’s just necessary for Paige to think of herself as the primary responsible player, to look at all the prior shortfalls as problems she didn’t solve, in order to join their company on Mt. Storrsmore. But this fan can’t help thinking it’s unfair.
Nice summary. One point in favor, one in contradiction. Auriemma told Bird that anything that goes wrong was her fault. This is consistent with your point of what Auriemma may be doing with Bueckers.

Moore’s NCs were with uneven teams? Both came with the best or second best player in the country for a teammate (as defined by award given). The first NC was with a senior, first team AA point guard, the second was with a freshman guard who is still proving to be a great WNBA pro. Greene was no slouch either. Unless by uneven you meant that the phenomenal Moore was playing as a 6’0” “power forward,” I do not see how that description applies.

Reaction Score
Nice summary. One point in favor, one in contradiction. Auriemma told Bird that anything that goes wrong was her fault. This is consistent with your point of what Auriemma may be doing with Bueckers.

Moore’s NCs were with uneven teams? Both came with the best or second best player in the country for a teammate (as defined by award given). The first NC was with a senior, first team AA point guard, the second was with a freshman guard who is still proving to be a great WNBA pro. Greene was no slouch either. Unless by uneven you meant that the phenomenal Moore was playing as a 6’0” “power forward,” I do not see how that description applies.
You're right. It's not a good fit. But in my defense, I was also thinking of the 2 teams that were eliminated in the semifinals. Yes, Renee and Kalana were great players, and of course Tina and Tiffany are clearly great even now. The result is that Maya probably had better teams around her than Paige did.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom