New pod with David Benedict | The Boneyard

New pod with David Benedict

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Good job on this.

Just curious..are you given parameters around what you can ask? Or do you just use your judgement that some questions aren't worth asking because he won't or can't answer?

For example....not sure if this was before or after the Ollie decision...but if it was after...could you have asked about that? Or could you have asked if he had concerns about budget shortfalls? Or maybe even specifics around the budget for Mora's staff versus RE's staff?

Reaction Score
Great listen- thanks for sharing.

Comments on independence were interesting:

I think we’ll see an effort before 2026 to get into a league in some capacity.

Interesting. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of football independence.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
You really need to hear the whole conversation about the topic…
Your takeaway from the discussion on independence is that he’s thinking it’s the long term solution for UConn football?

Reaction Score
Your takeaway from the discussion on independence is that he’s thinking it’s the long term solution for UConn football?
Long term - no. My point was hearing the actual conversation was worthwhile. He discussed that there are many positives to being an independent program but the college football landscape is changing rapidly and if backed into a corner where it didn’t benefit the program anymore they would have to make a decision about moving towards a conference.

Reaction Score
Long term - no. My point was hearing the actual conversation was worthwhile. He discussed that there are many positives to being an independent program but the college football landscape is changing rapidly and if backed into a corner where it didn’t benefit the program anymore they would have to make a decision about moving towards a conference.
If you look at the follow up tweet to the one they are commenting on it basically says this

Reaction Score
Long term - no. He said there are many positives to being an independent program but the college football landscape is changing rapidly and if backed into a corner where it didn’t benefit the program anymore they would have to make a decision about moving towards a conference.

"Let alone next week or a year from now" The interviewer didn't bring up such a short time frame like a year from now. Isn't the CBS contract up next year? I can't help but wonder if CBS wants us in CUSA. That could be the corner we are being backed into.

He also mentions "we're in a position where we have some flexibility" I wonder what the flexibility is? The only thing that comes to mind is a possible football only invite to CUSA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Let alone next week or a year from now" The interviewer didn't bring up such a short time frame like a year from now. Isn't the CBS contract up next year? I can't help but wonder if CBS wants us in CUSA. That could be the corner we are being backed into.

He also mentions "we're in a position where we have some flexibility" I wonder what the flexibility is? The only thing that comes to mind is a possible football only invite to CUSA.
One huge aspect of flexibility is to set our own schedule with an independent schedule.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I like independence. I want people to hear independence and think ND, Army and UConn all at the same time.

CUSA would be awful needless to say.

Interesting there have been few new games announced for the UConn card while we wait on the CFP discussion.

Reaction Score
CUSA would be awful needless to say.

I'm indifferent to the the idea. I think the same crowd shows up regardless and more will come if we start winning against the easier schedule. We saw minimal attendance bump for our only P5 home game last year vs Purdue. We could still schedule 4 games against local P5 teams. We would probably enjoy a conference championship game if we were in it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm indifferent to the the idea. I think the same crowd shows up regardless and more will come if we start winning against the easier schedule. We saw minimal attendance bump for our only P5 home game last year vs Purdue. We could still schedule 4 games against local P5 teams. We would probably enjoy a conference championship game if we were in it.
I don’t think so. UConn fans are getting more and more fickle.

Reaction Score
Great listen- thanks for sharing.

Comments on independence were interesting:

I think we’ll see an effort before 2026 to get into a league in some capacity.

Drew, I think UConn gets an invite much much sooner than that. Mora’s contract up in late 2024 IIRC. I would not be surprised to see an invite late this year or next.

Reaction Score
I want no part of CUSA, AAC, Sunbelt, etc. Independent is much more appealing because we get a blend of Northeast schools and attractive payoff games. The fanbase hated AAC and CUSA is a notch or two below that in terms of competitiveness, attractiveness of the conference members, etc. No way, no how.

Reaction Score
I think he would be concerned about the proposed scheduling alliance among the other P5 confetence schools in response to the SEC expansion and/or more conference games. It would dry up our P5 scdeduling.

Reaction Score
Hi all,

New Connecticut Scoreboard episode with DB. Really good interview with insight into the Mora hire and state of football. Lot of other areas covered as well. Tune in!

With respect to continuing playing home basketball games at the XL Center, I thought what DB said about that vs playing at Gampel leads me to wonder if those days might be numbered.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom