New Piece on Gabby | The Boneyard

New Piece on Gabby

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...basketball-gabby-williams-20170709-story.html

'Course the link will invariably stop working.

"Because whether fans noticed it or not, Williams will tell you that self doubt — something that plagued her as a freshman — continued seep into her head during her memorable junior season. If she missed an outside shot, she abandoned her perimeter game. If she missed a free throw, she felt dejected. If something went wrong, she questioned herself."

"I'm actually very happy that we're bigger this year and I don't have to guard the giant guys, the way I had to last year, and we won't be so small," Williams said. "And I think my defense is best when I'm out on the perimeter or I'm out there pressing full court. It was hard for me to do that last year when I've got to come down and bang with the big guys in the block. So I'm very relieved."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Confident. Edgy. Watch out.

"I just want to be a really confident player," Williams said. "That's something that I've been really struggling with. When you're a confident player, your opponent sees that you're confident and sees that look in your eyes and it can be intimidating. I don't think I really had the edge that I can have. So, I just want to be a little more of an edgy player this year."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gabby Williams is different. Maybe it's because of her high-level training at an individual sport. Maybe it's her genes or the way she was raised. She's the ultimate team player and hard worker who is still learning to play basketball. She missed 2 years of development in high school and played out of position in college. As a freshman, her shooting repertoire was limited and she struggled with the distance (but not line) on her free throws. As a sophomore, she increased her FT shooting by about 25 percentage points. As a junior, she was the NDPOY, All-American, and noted by Jay Bilas as the best all-around player in the country regardless of gender, while continuing to play out of position. Gabby will continue to improve because of her introspection, work ethic, and desire to be great. I'm not sure what her ceiling is, but if she stays healthy and finds herself in the right situation in the WNBA, her trajectory could put her on a par with Maya and Nneka, two of the league's greats.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Confident. Edgy. Watch out.

"I just want to be a really confident player," Williams said. "That's something that I've been really struggling with. When you're a confident player, your opponent sees that you're confident and sees that look in your eyes and it can be intimidating. I don't think I really had the edge that I can have. So, I just want to be a little more of an edgy player this year."
She needs to invite Diana over for dinner. Some of Dee's edginess will rub off.

Reaction Score
Gabby's athletic "inferiority complex" is something she talks openly about and is easy to contrast with the bravado of (say) D or Stewie, who overflow with (at least) public confidence.

On the other hand, Gabby talks confidently about being a black woman with a social obligation in the present and for the future, and there aren't many collegiate athletes as articulate or self-assured as Gabby when talking about her larger identity and place in society. And of course, she alone made a political demonstration during the national anthem last year. So, whatever she feels and says about her basketball playing, Gabby's got the self-confidence and awareness to be real force to be reckoned with off the court as well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hopefully, Gabby will be able to overcome her lack of self-confidence by next spring when she will have to accept multiple NPOY awards, her 2nd NDPOY award and the national championship trophy along with her teammates. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/UConn...basketball-gabby-williams-20170709-story.html

"Because whether fans noticed it or not, Williams will tell you that self doubt — something that plagued her as a freshman — continued seep into her head during her memorable junior season. If she missed an outside shot, she abandoned her perimeter game. If she missed a free throw, she felt dejected. If something went wrong, she questioned herself."

"I'm actually very happy that we're bigger this year and I don't have to guard the giant guys, the way I had to last year, and we won't be so small," Williams said. "And I think my defense is best when I'm out on the perimeter or I'm out there pressing full court. It was hard for me to do that last year when I've got to come down and bang with the big guys in the block. So I'm very relieved."

Is anyone out there reading between the lines here like I am? The debate began in April about who is going to be the new 5th starter. Could this narrative from Gabulous be a clue? Has one of the staff members told her who they think the mysterious (and unnamed) 5th starter is probably going to be?

If they're going to be "BIGGER" this year, there's only 1 player on the roster that fits that bill. It would not be unreasonable for anyone to lean in the direction she's referring to. To me, bigger means "starting", not coming off the bench playing limited minutes. I'm assuming the starters will get the bulk of the minutes, and that no bench player will consistently get more minutes than any starter.
I went on record back in April has to who I thought would fill Chong's vacated spot. Nothing's changed.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Is anyone out there reading between the lines here like I am? The debate began in April about who is going to be the new 5th starter. Could this narrative from Gabulous be a clue? Has one of the staff members told her who they think the mysterious (and unnamed) 5th starter is probably going to be?

If they're going to be "BIGGER" this year, there's only 1 player on the roster that fits that bill. It would not be unreasonable for anyone to lean in the direction she's referring to. To me, bigger means "starting", not coming off the bench playing limited minutes. I'm assuming the starters will get the bulk of the minutes, and that no bench player will consistently get more minutes than any starter.
I went on record back in April has to who I thought would fill Chong's vacated spot. Nothing's changed.

Ineluctable logic. That's how I filled out my ballot too.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
She needs to invite Diana over for dinner. Some of Dee's edginess will rub off.
I think more 1 on 1 with the GOAT will be enough.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
This past season Gabby solidified her place very high up on my list of Husky greats when it comes to sheer grit, passion and force of will. She moves in rarified air.

It will be really interesting to see if playing alongside Azura will: i) reduce her opportunities for truly 'heroic' performances (e.g., Notre Dame) or ii) allow her the freedom to blossom even more in a slightly modified role.

Note that Azura won't play 40 mins/game so there should still be times where we get to see Gabby be Gabby, in the mold of last year :)

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Williams averaged 14.3 points, 8.4 rebounds and 5.1 assists, starting all 37 games. She was second on the team in rebounding and became the first post player in program history to lead the team in assists (190). She had a triple-double, she led the team with 100 steals, she was the American Athletic Conference defensive player of the year and an Associated Press second-team All-American, but …

"I can be better," she said.

I love this kid!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

This was never in question. Azurá will be the starter.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
This past season Gabby solidified her place very high up on my list of Husky greats when it comes to sheer grit, passion and force of will. She moves in rarified air.

It will be really interesting to see if playing alongside Azura will: i) reduce her opportunities for truly 'heroic' performances (e.g., Notre Dame) or ii) allow her the freedom to blossom even more in a slightly modified role.

Note that Azura won't play 40 mins/game so there should still be times where we get to see Gabby be Gabby, in the mold of last year :)

I believe Gabby without having to defend "Bigs" will blossom achieving her real potential. Yeah, scary! :) We will see some real lockdown defense with Azurá having her back. When Azurá comes out, I am thinking Camara will come into the game as long as she does the job. I don't really have feel for what Camara can do based on her playing experience at Kentucky. I am hoping it will be good but as much as the other players talk about "Z," I do not recall the other players saying much about Camara. Hopefully, It is just because she is in the shadow of "Z."

If Gabby plays more guard this year as successfully as she has played her "adoptive" forward/wing role, the WNBA GMs should be drooling all over themselves. Add in her character and team first attitude, there should be several WNBA teams tanking at season's end to get a low number to draft her. :D

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/UConn...basketball-gabby-williams-20170709-story.html

I read your first paragraph above and said--Welcome to the Human race--
Smart lady (second para), she was excellent taking out the PG's and making multiple steals--she could make THEM second guess themselves--I'm happy she's happy. She was given a deplorable task and did it exceptionally well this past season.

Reaction Score
I believe Gabby without having to defend "Bigs" will blossom achieving her real potential. Yeah, scary! :) We will see some real lockdown defense with Azurá having her back. When Azurá comes out, I am thinking Camara will come into the game as long as she does the job. I don't really have feel for what Camara can do based on her playing experience at Kentucky. I am hoping it will be good but as much as the other players talk about "Z," I do not recall the other players saying much about Camara. Hopefully, It is just because she is in the shadow of "Z."

If Gabby plays more guard this year as successfully as she has played her "adoptive" forward/wing role, the WNBA GMs should be drooling all over themselves. Add in her character and team first attitude, there should be several WNBA teams tanking at season's end to get a low number to draft her. :D
I think all 6 of the newcomers, and all of the returning crew are going to have the appropriate edginess. I don't see any losses, nor any single digit wins. I'll go as low as 13 for mov, but most in 20+, with many much higher.

Reaction Score
I think all 6 of the newcomers, and all of the returning crew are going to have the appropriate edginess. I don't see any losses, nor any single digit wins. I'll go as low as 13 for mov, but most in 20+, with many much higher.

MOV watching is a nice sport--for UC fans--as we have seen--2 points (actually 1) is all it takes to get the W--.Miss St got the greatest MOV in their entire history last spring and --it didn't exceed 2.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom