New Numbers

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
1654201236769.png

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not to go off topic, but as I look at these new “add-ons” for this year, I don't see any magicians. They are all gamers. They won't shrink and disappear in the BIG games.

Lopez-Senechal has already proven beyond a shadow of a doubt her ability to play D1 WCBB. Brady has shown up for all of her high school team’s big games. It is said that the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

How can you not be thrilled about the excitement and achievements this team has the potential to produce? I understand that the other elite teams in the top15 have improved their rosters. So has UConn.

When you look at UConn’s roster, if everyone can begin the season healthy at 100%, I like our chances against anyone, including South Carolina. Why can't this be our year?

Reaction Score
Not to go off topic, but as I look at these new “add-ons” for this year, I don't see any magicians. They are all gamers. They won't shrink and disappear in the BIG games.

Lopez-Senechal has already proven beyond a shadow of a doubt her ability to play D1 WCBB. Brady has shown up for all of her high school team’s big games. It is said that the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

How can you not be thrilled about the excitement and achievements this team has the potential to produce? I understand that the other elite teams in the top15 have improved their rosters. So has UConn.

When you look at UConn’s roster, if everyone can begin the season healthy at 100%, I like our chances against anyone, including South Carolina. Why can't this be our year?
I'm excited but I am a little weary as well. We lost 3 pretty impactful seniors. I love how close the team is but I wonder who one the team will be the bad guy or hold each other accountable. Last year Geno said he did as much teaching as ever, I'm not sure how that gets better losing three vets.
I do love the talent but once again on the flip side Will Geno go more than 7 deep in big games and in the tournament.

Reaction Score
I'm excited but I am a little weary as well. We lost 3 pretty impactful seniors. I love how close the team is but I wonder who one the team will be the bad guy or hold each other accountable. Last year Geno said he did as much teaching as ever, I'm not sure how that gets better losing three vets.
I do love the talent but once again on the flip side Will Geno go more than 7 deep in big games and in the tournament.
This about captures my sentiment. Who will be the voice of the team among the players, the one who speaks the hard truths? Does Paige have to do that, too? Or is she maybe too generous for that sort of job?

As for the depth Geno will be willing to use in big games, he’s no different than Dawn in this respect — when a big game is on the line, the roster suddenly shrinks to 7, and the last two typically only get 5 mins or so. Who will his 7 be? Paige, Azzi, Dorka, Aaliyah, Caroline, Aubrey, Lou? I’d love to see the team progress to the point that even Amari, Nika, Ice and Ayanna get significant minutes in a tight game. But that will depend on what they show him in the rest of the season and in practice.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
A thread on the new player's uniform numbers turns into a thread on Geno's coaching ability...surprise, surprise.

Reaction Score
This about captures my sentiment. Who will be the voice of the team among the players, the one who speaks the hard truths? Does Paige have to do that, too? Or is she maybe too generous for that sort of job?

As for the depth Geno will be willing to use in big games, he’s no different than Dawn in this respect — when a big game is on the line, the roster suddenly shrinks to 7, and the last two typically only get 5 mins or so. Who will his 7 be? Paige, Azzi, Dorka, Aaliyah, Caroline, Aubrey, Lou? I’d love to see the team progress to the point that even Amari, Nika, Ice and Ayanna get significant minutes in a tight game. But that will depend on what they show him in the rest of the season and in practice.
I'm hopeful, too that Aubrey will be a productive member of the team, but I'd tend to think either or both of Ayanna and Ice could be ahead of her on the depth chart... and, fingers crossed 'cause the Huskies could use the additional post, Amari as well.

Reaction Score

The 3 players that left had no skill talent or toughness that isn't matched and/or exceeded by the current roster.
The '21 freshmen played in the most bizarre season in history and 3 of them worked their way into the rotation. The '22 freshmen had 2 starters. Dorka gives UConn 6 former starters back this year.
The '22 freshmen include a tall AND thick Brady and a skilled 6'3 3/4 who can touch the rim with her elbow I hear. Admittedly they can't be counted on to play major roles but between them that's way too much talent and athleticism to not contribute. And there have been multiple contributors in both of the last freshmen classes.

I can guarantee that worrying about what could go wrong is not a winning attitude. And I say that as a lifelong golfer who worried his way to many defeats.

Reaction Score
“And I say that as a lifelong golfer who worried his way to many defeat”
Lol. Good one @Alydar

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I looked up and down our new roster. I don’t see a single cheerleader. Everyone is capable of playing meaningful minutes. Of course Geno will shorten his rotation against the top 5 teams they’ll play.

I too lament the loss of our 3 seniors, but…….their time was up. They had multiple chances to grab the gold ring, but couldn’t get it done. Time to move on and let another group see if they can win it all.

When the tournament began in March, six teams stood between UConn and the national championship. One by one UConn eliminated the first 5 teams they faced. On championship Sunday, UConn was 40 minutes away from the national championship. Closer than they had been in the last 5 years.

It was not to be. This was not their year. If all 11 players on the roster can begin the season 100% healthy and ready to go, I see no reason why THIS can’t be their year. This team is loaded with talent. Why not us?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Dawn moved to nine players last year. Starting 5 plus Cordosa, Amihere, Rivers and Hall all got meaningful minutes during big games. Not wrap up minutes.

Reaction Score
Dawn moved to nine players last year. Starting 5 plus Cordosa, Amihere, Rivers and Hall all got meaningful minutes during big games. Not wrap up minutes.
This is a little off topic, but in the close games, like against Missouri and Kentucky, Dawn’s rotation shrunk. There weren’t many close ones last year so she was able to play 9 in most games, which is exactly what we’d see from Geno, and did see last year once everyone was healthy.

Reaction Score
Grateful to the departed seniors for their efforts and loyalty to the program. I wish them great success in all their future endeavors! However, I am looking forward to a new era now. I am optimistic for the future and feel like we have an opportunity to let some new players become the architects of a new team, one that
(hopefully) will have the “clutch” and “big game” gene that (no disrespect intended) this team has been missing for the past few years.

This, shall we say “deficiency” imo began to be addressed two years ago with the successful recruitment of Paige, who has it in abundance. Last year we saw Caroline and Azzi demonstrate that they too were able to raise their game when the chips were down. Meanwhile, Nika showed encouraging signs towards the end of the year that her offense was beginning to improve. Aaliyah too seemed to break out of her early season funk and reverted to the promise we all saw in her freshman season. Now we have to hope our five “newbies” (I include Aubrey and Amari here) are able to hit the ground running and that at least two of them surpass expectations and are also able to raise their game against the tougher opponents. Finally, we have to hope our big girl is completely healed and ready to go!

My hope (and belief) is that this team (as currently constituted) is far less likely to have catastrophically poor performances in big games going forward. If I’m right, and I believe I am, the next time we find ourselves in a Final Four, we will be far more likely to bring number 12 home to Storrs!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom