New NCAA Redshirt Rule Arrived Just Too Late For UConn's Donovan Williams (Courant) | The Boneyard

New NCAA Redshirt Rule Arrived Just Too Late For UConn's Donovan Williams (Courant)

Reaction Score
New NCAA Redshirt Rule Arrived Just Too Late For UConn's Donovan Williams

>>Two years ago, then UConn coach Bob Diaco inserted Williams at quarterback for the final three games of a lost season, burning the freshman’s redshirt and costing him a full year of eligibility. It was the exact type of situation the NCAA sought to address last month with a rulebook tweak that will allow freshmen to appear in up to four games without sacrificing their redshirts.<<

>>” I think it’s a good rule,” Edsall said. “There are times when you get some injuries and because you want to redshirt a freshman, you’re not putting the best guys on the field because you’re worried about taking away a redshirt year. Now you don’t have to worry about that.

“Plus,” he continued, “as you go along in the season you might want to get somebody some experience. You can put him in and not have to worry about, ‘Hey I just blew a kid’s redshirt year.’”<<

Reaction Score
It took Edsall about 15 minutes to recognize Williams wasn’t aQB at this level. Diaco had him as the best QB in the country as a true fresh.

There are times when I wonder if Diaco was at all balanced.

Reaction Score
Red shirt should mean no play. Everyone gets four years. That’s it. You know this change is going to be abused to the max.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Abused? This is a win- win- win. The option for four games does nothing but good. Keeps freshman super motivated all season, gives them live reps which can never be replicated in practice and gives the coaches a chance to retune their recruiting rather than waiting an additional off season to measure talent.

Reaction Score
Red shirt should mean no play. Everyone gets four years. That’s it. You know this change is going to be abused to the max.
how-sway.jpg

Reaction Score
Donovan Williams is a true JR now. He never redshirted so I'm at a loss as to how this even affects his status.. Essentially, in order for him to truly develop into a prime WR target, yeah, sure live game action is best, but he got cheated out of a year of eligibility... I'd be OK with him redshirtiing since we already have a boatload of talent at WR (one of our stronger positions) that are in the final year (Hergy, Beals, Buss, McLean - although he'll be a receiving threat at TE instead this year).. With DW's size (6'4 218lbs and a leader), if he's able to develop more at WR, he'd probably be dominant by the redshirt SR year in 2020... We're probably gonna suck a little more now, so, let him enjoy the fruits when the grass is greener later on...

Now, if he's already good, then all I said is probably a moot point..

Reaction Score
I'd be OK with him redshirtiing since we already have a boatload of talent at WR (one of our stronger positions) that are in the final year (Hergy, Beals, Buss, McLean - although he'll be a receiving threat at TE instead this year).. With DW's size (6'4 218lbs and a leader), if he's able to develop more at WR, he'd probably be dominant by the redshirt SR year in 2020... We're probably gonna suck a little more now, so, let him enjoy the fruits when the grass is greener later on...

I agree, redshirt him this year. We currently have plenty of depth at WR but lose a lot to graduation after this year. Plus the focus will be on running the ball this year, that will change as we transition to Krajewski.

The only way I play Williams this year is if he separates himself as one of our top two receivers.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I say let all the freshmen get time in at least on special teams throughout the season. Those who are effective, play. Those who come in at or under the 4 game threshold get a redshirt. It really is a no brainer. I don't see how it doesn't benefit true upperclassmen either. Early injury = redshirt & additional year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If the NCAA just developed rules in response to Bob Diaco they would probably be a lot more effective as an org.
Are you suggesting a sanity test for coaches?

23. Have you every talked about fish cake?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are you suggesting a sanity test for coaches?

23. Have you every talked about fish cake?

Coaches are forbidden from making trophies in their garage.

No red pants after Labor Day.

Meals cannot be won or lost - they are merely eaten. No such reference to victory over omlettes is allowed.

Reaction Score
we already have a boatload of talent at WR (one of our stronger positions) that are in the final year (Hergy, Beals, Buss, McLean - although he'll be a receiving threat at TE instead this year)..

Um, I am fine with RS'g him for a year, if HCRE believes that is best for program. Frankly, I am not sure how you RS a member of Leadership Counsel who is not injured - seems to be a bit of a mixed message.

Having said that, I am not sure I would suggest we have a boatload of talent at WR unless of course you have us in the small boat

upload_2018-7-26_11-1-32.jpeg

Husky25

Reaction Score
Some players only need eight games. Anecdotal of course, but Marcus Easley was a walk-on who played sparingly until Pittsburgh, 2009. So sparingly that both Mike Patrick and the color guy initially identified him as fellow walk on (albeit a freshman) Eric Sawicki.

He made himself into an NFL 4th round draft pick by the end of the season.

Incidentally, UConn bagged a 4* WR that year. He did so well that he "transferred"...but maybe didn't. Looks like he graduated from UConn in 2013, but quit football. The 4 game redshirt rule may have been huge for Dwayne Difton.

Reaction Score
Some players only need eight games. Anecdotal of course, but Marcus Easley was a walk-on who played sparingly until Pittsburgh, 2009. So sparingly that both Mike Patrick and the color guy initially identified him as fellow walk on (albeit a freshman) Eric Sawicki.

He made himself into an NFL 4th round draft pick by the end of the season.

Incidentally, UConn bagged a 4* WR that year. He did so well that he "transferred"...but maybe didn't. Looks like he graduated from UConn in 2013, but quit football. The 4 game redshirt rule may have been huge for Dwayne Difton.

Dwayne Difton was a creation of the recruiting sites. UCONN also recruited a kid Lang that year who was a terrific athlete. Difton had not one iota of the athleticism of either Lang or Easley, but was propped up big time by recruiting websites for reasons I’ll never understand.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Dwayne Difton was a creation of the recruiting sites. UCONN also recruited a kid Lang that year who was a terrific athlete. Difton had not one iota of the athleticism of either Lang or Easley, but was propped up big time by recruiting websites for reasons I’ll never understand.
He was the ancillary beneficiary of going to school with Cris Carter's (IIRC) son...

Be that as it may, the point is there is no use in lamenting Williams burnt red shirt, when a breakout can take as little as 2/3 - 3/4 season. Granted everything has to fall into place, but Edsall's comments (the guy who gave Easley his opportunity) seems to indicate that he sees a lot of Easley in Williams and he should be ready to seize the opportunity if/when #15 is called.

Reaction Score
This rule is good for the fans and the play on the field. Gives you the absolute best chance to field the best team you can muster.

Reaction Score
The Williams debacle helped get rid of Diaco. The ROI on his redshirt was quite high.
Very true. The kid ended up taking one for the program. Hoping he experiences success with the remaining eligibility he has.

Reaction Score
What is the downside?
I think it favors P5 stockpiling more talent. The red shirt gets some play then is fed a line to hang tight. Could be wrong but I think creative minds will abuse the process..

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think it favors P5 stockpiling more talent. The red shirt gets some play then is fed a line to hang tight. Could be wrong but I think creative minds will abuse the process..

Redshirts are awarded after the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom