New Movie Trailers Thread

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
I would say that the difference is that Marvel is planning to make a roundly disliked character into the face of their franchise. Guardians was something that just ended up as an unexpected hit. Captain Marvel isn't Wonder Woman, so that is why I think this is a big gamble.
I didn't realize comic book fans disliked the character so much. I think the Marvel movie universe has expanded its fan base way beyond the subset of comic book fans, so I'm sure many movie goers will be unaware of her history from the comics and not predisposed to dislike her. She's certainly not an iconic figure like Wonder Woman, but I'm kinda wondering if this movie might ride the coattails of WW a bit.

I didn't realize comic book fans disliked the character so much. I think the Marvel movie universe has expanded its fan base way beyond the subset of comic book fans, so I'm sure many movie goers will be unaware of her history from the comics and not predisposed to dislike her. She's certainly not an iconic figure like Wonder Woman, but I'm kinda wondering if this movie might ride the coattails of WW a bit.
Her books sell poorly even by today's standards, which are down across the board, and she's never been an "A list" character like Wonder Woman. I just think that if you combine that with the fact that she is unknown to a lot of movie goers, it's a stretch to suddenly make her the most powerful, lead character in their universe moving forward. They clearly seem to be setting it up for her to ride in and save the day in the next Avengers film (that after credits scene in Infinity War sets that up) and if that is the way it goes, then this saga is going to have an unsatisfying feel to it in my opinion.

nwhoopfan

Her books sell poorly even by today's standards, which are down across the board, and she's never been an "A list" character like Wonder Woman. I just think that if you combine that with the fact that she is unknown to a lot of movie goers, it's a stretch to suddenly make her the most powerful, lead character in their universe moving forward. They clearly seem to be setting it up for her to ride in and save the day in the next Avengers film (that after credits scene in Infinity War sets that up) and if that is the way it goes, then this saga is going to have an unsatisfying feel to it in my opinion.
It might bomb, I'm not making any bold predictions. The trailer didn't blow me away but I'm still interested in it. I'm a fan of Brie Larsen. I've read that the movie has a couple call backs to the first GOTG--Ronan and whatever the name of the character is that was played by Djimon Hounsou

I don't think it will bomb, and all the kree-skrull stuff in it should be good. The skrull stuff should set up the next phase of the cinematic universe if done right. My real concerns are that they are positioning her to be the leading character in their universe. Anyone is going to have trouble following up Iron Man and Captain America, but it's going to be especially tough for a second stringer to come in and fill that role.

nwhoopfan

I'd seen a teaser trailer quite a while ago, hadn't seen a full trailer til now. Fleshes out the plot a lot more. I'm still mad at what Peter Jackson did to the Hobbit, but I'll probably give him another chance with this. Could be interesting.

I think that's Hugo Weaving in there. He wasn't exactly young when he appeared in the Matrix films, but I wasn't aware of him before that. He's carved out a nice career since then in sci fi and fantasy. V for Vendetta, Lord of the Rings franchise, this.

I'd seen a teaser trailer quite a while ago, hadn't seen a full trailer til now. Fleshes out the plot a lot more. I'm still mad at what Peter Jackson did to the Hobbit, but I'll probably give him another chance with this. Could be interesting.

I think that's Hugo Weaving in there. He wasn't exactly young when he appeared in the Matrix films, but I wasn't aware of him before that. He's carved out a nice career since then in sci fi and fantasy. V for Vendetta, Lord of the Rings franchise, this.
Yea it's Hugo. Always wished he had gotten since the Matrix movies. I had seen the teaser as well, this one has bomb written all over it. Seems silly. Not actually directed by Jackson (did the screenplay as I'm sure you're aware) although I'd bet he had a helping hand. Stuff like this faces such an uphill battle but at least they're trying something new. I think it's an adaptation from a comic or something. Reminds me of a mix of City of Ember and the videogame Skies of Arcadia. Probably won't catch on but hopefully it'll find it's audience much like a movie like the 5th Element did (assuming it's any good).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Yea it's Hugo. Always wished he had gotten since the Matrix movies. I had seen the teaser as well, this one has bomb written all over it. Seems silly. Not actually directed by Jackson (did the screenplay as I'm sure you're aware) although I'd bet he had a helping hand. Stuff like this faces such an uphill battle but at least they're trying something new. I think it's an adaptation from a comic or something. Reminds me of a mix of City of Ember and the videogame Skies of Arcadia. Probably won't catch on but hopefully it'll find it's audience much like a movie like the 5th Element did (assuming it's any good).
Looking forward to seeing Hugo in Black 47, which gets wide release next week.

It's several centuries later and a few hundred miles to the west, but it looks like an update on Braveheart.

On Rotten Tomatoes, looks like the Irish critics love it but the American & British ones don't.

Too bad the band Black 47 isn't involved with the soundtrack (they disbanded a few years ago).

@August_West your girl is set to try and bring down another franchise. She is easily the worst part of this trailer.

huskypantz

Freestyle mumble rapper

Hmmm, I could see this going either way - huge hit or a confused bust. Special effects look great, it’ll sink or swim on the storyline.

nwhoopfan

I think it's an adaptation from a comic or something.
Might be a book, and apparently some of its fans are mad about the casting of the heroine. I gather in the source material she is hideously scarred and unbearably ugly. In the film she is an attractive woman who happens to have some scarring on her face. Eh, fanboys (or girls) always find something to complain about.

edited--it's a book, first in a 7 part series; I hope they don't try to make 7 movies, the whole epic YA sci fi adaptation franchise thing is played out at this point

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

I've been a big fan of Ella Purnell ever since "Wildlike." She's been tied up doing a series on Showtime (I think, one of the premium cable channels anyway). Glad to see she's in a movie coming up. Looks like low budget sci fi, which are sometimes really good, and sometimes not.

ZooCougar

Shut Up Carl.
I would say that the difference is that Marvel is planning to make a roundly disliked character into the face of their franchise. Guardians was something that just ended up as an unexpected hit. Captain Marvel isn't Wonder Woman, so that is why I think this is a big gamble.
I disagree, NW Hoopfan is right. Guardians was practically reverse engineered for the big screen. They were pretty arcane Marvel characters. But, they were also really cinematic.

I would say Captain Marvel probably is in the same category, a mediocre comic book character but a good character for the movies.

As a whole the Avengers were always second fiddle to the X-Men, the mutant characters and Spider Man. They just work really well on screen.

nwhoopfan

Good thread, sorry nobody has been playing along so far. A couple indies that look somewhat interesting to me.

It can't be a coincidence that Colin Ferguson and Jordan Hinson were father and daughter in the tv show Eureka and here she's the lead actress and he makes a cameo as a police officer, just like he was on the show.
I feel an obligation to report this movie was terrible. Essentially only two characters, and neither were compelling or sympathetic. Even at about 1:15 it was too long. Ugh. At least I didn't pay anything for it, just signed up for Hoopla thru the library, free streaming service.

nwhoopfan

That also looks fairly similar to a recent Norwegian movie w/ Stellan Skarsgard--In Order of Disappearance. A snow plow driver's son is killed and the dad declares war on the local gang. Could be a coincidence, but probably not.

That also looks fairly similar to a recent Norwegian movie w/ Stellan Skarsgard--In Order of Disappearance. A snow plow driver's son is killed and the dad declares war on the local gang. Could be a coincidence, but probably not.
Good call - that's actually what the movie is based on according to Cold Pursuit's IMDB page.

nwhoopfan

This could be good. Not quite sure about the casting of Kevin Hart. Based on the excellent foreign film "The Intouchables."

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly were a funny team in Step Brothers. Here they are again together as...Holmes and Watson. Might be funny, or might be really dumb. Or both, not always mutually exclusive. Looks like more than a bit of a spoof of Guy Ritchie's take on Sherlock.

Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly were a funny team in Step Brothers. Here they are again together as...Holmes and Watson. Might be funny, or might be really dumb. Or both, not always mutually exclusive. Looks like more than a bit of a spoof of Guy Ritchie's take on Sherlock.

Key ingredient missing from Step Brothers: Adam McKay. Think this one is going to be pretty bad...that selfie joke is pretty cringy.

Some interesting new trailers today.

Curious to see if a young director such as this can pull off the scope this seems to be going for:

Looks like a star making turn here (second trailer might be even better):

What is it about apocalyptic-type movies that I find so intriguing?

nwhoopfan

This has Guy Ritchie written all over it....except he's not involved? He was rumored to be working on his own Robin Hood re-imagining at some point. It might suck, or it might be fun. I liked Taron Egerton in Kingsman: The Secret Service. Plus Jamie Fox and Ben Mendelsohn.