New Member for Huskies of Honor Feb 19. | The Boneyard

New Member for Huskies of Honor Feb 19.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I mean it's still insane to me that this actually happened:

It reached its peak when the Coast Guard Academy team refused to take the floor on Jan. 27, 1934 if Fitch played for UConn, then known as Connecticut State. His teammates and classmates had his back, and he endured, helping to clear the road for generations of athletes of color who came after him.

When Coast Guard refused to play, his teammates were ready to forfeit and go home. There was a 45-minute delay before he was allowed to come out and warm up with his teammates. However, UConn coach John Heldman had apparently agreed not to play him, and his enraged teammates beat Coast Guard in a physical game.

The next day, the athletic directors issued a statement saying such an incident would never be repeated, but the incident became national news. The student body, in a survey initiated by UConn basketball captain Connie Donahue, voted overwhelmingly that Heldman and AD Roy Guyer should be fired. Within two years, both left.

Honey Fitch transferred from UConn in 1934, largely for financial reasons. He graduated from American International College and went on to a long career in research with Monsanto. He remained a Huskies fan for the rest of his life.
I am heartened to see that he was overwhelmingly supported by the student body.

Interesting that he ultimately graduated AIC, where Calhoun also graduated.

Last edited:

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Wikipedia
Fitch was a star basketball player at Hillhouse High School before enrolling in Connecticut State College (now the University of Connecticut) as a freshman in the fall of 1932.[1][2]

Fitch was a triple threat who played guard in basketball, first baseman in baseball, and end in football. As well as being Connecticut State College's only African American student and its first African American basketball player,

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Pretty cool that UConn men's basketball was integrated 18 years before the NBA. This was nice to do.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
To be honest, I'm surprised it took the school this long to do it - long over due
I wondered what made them to act at this time
And I feel that there can be more than one at a time - no Ben G no Bob Staak (as a player and his coaching resume is impressive)
Also the mens teams of 2010-2011 and 2013-2014 should be inducted due to the accomplishments during the tournaments (both OBE in 2011 and the number of top ranked teams they faced in 2014)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Because it is hard for me to fathom that a team wouldn't play because of the color of the skin of one of the opposing players.
It happened in all sports - High School, College and professional
Many books written about it

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Wake up, guys. It's still happening today. They try to spin it a different way, but it never goes away.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It happened in all sports - High School, College and professional
Many books written about it
Yes, I am aware of the history. It is just still hard (to me) to imagine that it happened.

My Little League and Pop Warner teams had more Black players than white ones. It was the 70s and there were still many issues--I remember my older brother's and sister's school being closed for a couple days because of "race riots"--but the idea of not playing sports with people because of their skin color still seems (to me) like something from another planet.

We have a photo in our house from the second line parade in New Orleans celebrating the integration and reopening of the Audubon Park pool in 1969. I bought it for my wife because she saw it when were browsing in a gallery while waiting for our dinner table one night in New Orleans several years ago; she was born in 1969 and she commented that she couldn't believe that there where still places in the country that were not integrated when she was born. Again, like me, she was aware of the history, but it is still hard (for us) to picture it. That's why we have the photo as a reminder...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I mean it's still insane to me that this actually happened:

I am heartened to see that he was overwhelmingly supported by the student body.

Interesting that he ultimately graduated AIC, where Calhoun also graduated.
Crazy how that would’ve been a forfeit by Connecticut if Coast Guard refused to play.

Reaction Score
Because it is hard for me to fathom that a team wouldn't play because of the color of the skin of one of the opposing players.
Why is it hard for you to fathom that?

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Wikipedia
Fitch was a star basketball player at Hillhouse High School before enrolling in Connecticut State College (now the University of Connecticut) as a freshman in the fall of 1932.[1][2]

Fitch was a triple threat who played guard in basketball, first baseman in baseball, and end in football. As well as being Connecticut State College's only African American student and its first African American basketball player,
Wow!!! Hillhouse High made the Huskies of Honor. Outstanding Mr. Fitch, thank you Sir.

Reaction Score
My grandfather was on one of those UConn teams. Pictured standing next to Fitch. Last name Kupidlowski. I've had this picture for a while and always wondered about Fitch and his story.. And now here it is. Would love to go the ceremony..
IMG_1120.jpg

Reaction Score
I spent a year in Mississippi 66-67 and I was in for an education and that was when there were still signs saying “ whites only” or “colored only” in public places. That is all I can say without getting slammed by the administrators fir “political content”. The French Quarter in near by New Orleans was a lot more open.
and civilized.

Reaction Score
Interesting stuff. Some perspective.

Jackie Robinson would debut for the Dodgers 15 years later.

The SEC didn't have a black basketball player until Percy Wallace in 1967, some 35 years after Fitch played for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
In this state no less.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom