New Hire @ UMass.... | The Boneyard

New Hire @ UMass....

Reaction Score
Well, this goes to show UMass ain't going back to the FCS. One of our biggest rivals sticking with us. Will be interesting for those who get to live long enough.

Article says FSU upset BC. What the heck.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Wish we had the cojones to make a hire like this. Instead we will milk the life out of football games for 6-5 seasons and throw kids under the bus for "not executing".

An up-and-coming coordinator with legit D1 experience, sounds like a can't miss strategy! You know who's got cojones like that? Warde Manuel. You're from Hoboken? I know this washed-up LB coach from around there...

Reaction Score
Wish we had the cojones to make a hire like this. Instead we will milk the life out of football games for 6-5 seasons and throw kids under the bus for "not executing".

December 2013......

Reaction Score
December 2013.
An up-and-coming coordinator with legit D1 experience, sounds like a can't miss strategy! You know who's got cojones like that? Warde Manuel. You're from Hoboken? I know this washed-up LB coach from around there...

You are leaving out a key component - this is an OFFENSIVE coordinator. Our guy was a defensive coordinator who watched Brian Kelly get to multiple BCS games and an NC game with a high-paced offense and still decided that wasn't for him.

We need a young offensive mind. That is where the game is now.

Reaction Score
Sorry

I don't think you bring a guy from Tennessee - with a tinge of Arkansas, 2 years of Maryland and then FSU to a northeast school like UMASS. OC or DC. You need to scour the Prep school relationships and all of 10 states to get a team ... OR you just bring in Northeast Mississippi Community College kids. And then if he is good ... gone in 3

WE at UConn need a 5 year Fix.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
So, the last high octane offensive coordinator hired by UMASS was Diaco's twin from Notre Dame- Charley Molnar. His 2 year stint at UMASS- a stellar 2 and 22. Whipple knew the school, the area, everything and is an offensive side of the ball guy. Bell's experience at a school with no conference, limited recruiting base tells you what? Unless there is something I am not familiar with in Amherst - this move was dumb.

Reaction Score
>>Bell will be paid $625,000 annually over the term of his five-year contract, which also includes a retention bonus that will be paid after each of the first four years on July 1. As part of the agreement, UMass will be increasing its salary pool for Bell’s 10 assistant coaches and two strength coaches from roughly $1.2 million to $1.5 million, with the extra money coming from the athletic department’s revenue and not student fees or the school’s general operating budget.<<

Reaction Score
$625k...but we can’t find anybody under $2MM so we go “bargain basement” Edsall at $1 Million.

Reaction Score
Sorry

I don't think you bring a guy from Tennessee - with a tinge of Arkansas, 2 years of Maryland and then FSU to a northeast school like UMASS. OC or DC. You need to scour the Prep school relationships and all of 10 states to get a team ... OR you just bring in Northeast Mississippi Community College kids. And then if he is good ... gone in 3

You can do a fix in less than 5 years as has been shown by multiple schools around the country. Edsall, however, has determined that a 5 year fix is the only plan that works.

And what is the difference if a coach fixes a program and bolts after 3 or 5 years? Bottom line, Uconn is not a coach for life destination in football. A successful coach will leave every time. Which is why you need an AD that can make a good hire in place at all times. AD's jump ship far less frequently than coaches.

I did not like the Edsall rehire since we all know his philosophy on offense and it is his bridge to a good retirement pension with the state. But I am not in the fire him now camp today. He made a decision with the younger kids this year. Let's see marked improvement next year and make a judgement then.

Reaction Score
$625k...but we can’t find anybody under $2MM so we go “bargain basement” Edsall at $1 Million.
Independent program with little state support versus a Power 6 conference where the average coaching salary is well north of $1mm.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I follow... Are you saying you'd rather make a hire like this? And pay Edsall's buyout on top of it? If so, no thanks...

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I follow... Are you saying you'd rather make a hire like this? And pay Edsall's buyout on top of it? If so, no thanks...
No, just pointing out the fallacy that we are stuck because we couldn't forward a new staff, and also that Edsall was the only low cost option.

Reaction Score
No, just pointing out the fallacy that we are stuck because we couldn't forward a new staff, and also that Edsall was the only low cost option.
No one thought Edsall was the only low cost option. But I'd still rather have Edsall than Walt Bell.

Reaction Score
Shrug ... I don't think you swing for Walt Bell at $625k. We paid Diaco 2.5 times that to start in whatever year that was. A good coordinator from a top Program (FSU ain't top at the moment) costs. That is the Geoff Collins move to Temple; I guess I think Bell is a slot below. Yes, OUR AAC conference is a $1.5 to $2m per annum market slot.

The better argument is you can get a Lance Leipold from Buffalo for your $1.2m with the incentives to rise to mid AAC range. (or Jason Candle, Jeff Monken)

When we fired Diaco and leaped to Edsall, that was a good move. And you really cannot fire one guy after another ... you need to let Edsall pull this through at least another year or two. Starting 5-7 FR week after week on D was an obvious sign; Edsall had confidence that he could strip things back to the floorboards and build.

Reaction Score
Well, this goes to show UMass ain't going back to the FCS. One of our biggest rivals sticking with us. Will be interesting for those who get to live long enough.

Article says FSU upset BC. What the heck.

I’m Sure this is exactly what they were saying up on chestnut hill when we hired HCRE

C

Chief00

Sorry

This is the second to last significant recruiting year for a five year fix. We better have a lot of recruiting success the next couple months. This assumes Fr redshirt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom