New high efficiency way to score Castle ISO post up | The Boneyard

New high efficiency way to score Castle ISO post up

Reaction Score
I kind of thought about this after the game. We tend to have small spurts where the scoring just goes off kilter for 3-4 possessions.
I love what we did with Clingan--go in and get high % shots which then sets up other guys spacing.
Castle right now doesnt have a reliable 3--but what he has in spades is great size and post talent. When Donovan is out--we can use Castle on 4-5 plays a game to go into him on an iso in the post(ala Villanova type play) and get a few baskets when we are slagging. Hes going to outsize outskill most college players from the 2G in the post. And if its not there for himself--hes an awesome passer. I generally like our motion offense but we have room to run plays for ISO castle in the post to get the most out of him and to help the team.,

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
I kind of thought about this after the game. We tend to have small spurts where the scoring just goes off kilter for 3-4 possessions.
I love what we did with Clingan--go in and get high % shots which then sets up other guys spacing.
Castle right now doesnt have a reliable 3--but what he has in spades is great size and post talent. When Donovan is out--we can use Castle on 4-5 plays a game to go into him on an iso in the post(ala Villanova type play) and get a few baskets when we are slagging. Hes going to outsize outskill most college players from the 2G in the post. And if its not there for himself--hes an awesome passer. I generally like our motion offense but we have room to run plays for ISO castle in the post to get the most out of him and to help the team.,
There were a few games earlier in the year, I think against the zone, where we used Castle as the man flashing up and receiving the ball at the free throw line (in a triple threat position facing the basket).

Him with the ball there to me seems the other place, besides posting up, where we can best utilize both his driving and passing ability.

Reaction Score
There were a few games earlier in the year, I think against the zone, where we used Castle as the man flashing up and receiving the ball at the free throw line (in a triple threat position facing the basket).

Him with the ball there to me seems the other place, besides posting up, where we can best utilize both his driving and passing ability.
Yeah his premium move right now is at the hoop. He’s got the strength and post skills to dominate other guards.

Reaction Score

The reason why this works is because we have a bunch of guards around Clingan. Leaving your man to help when he's on an island with the 7'3 behemoth is going to lead directly to a 3-ball. If we post up Castle, Samson's man is going to double him hard and there's 0 consequence for doing so because Samson isn't a shooter or driver.

I agree it could be worth a shot if it's a skill he's been developing in practice, but it isn't quite as simple as "let Castle play 1v1."

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Thought the same thing as we hit our second half lull vs Gonzaga. Iso Castle in the post and make sure we have guys crashing the glass for offensive rebounds.

Reaction Score
Do this when the opportunity is there. We run such advanced offense sets and cause the opponent to constantly switch, and mismatch is going to happen.

But if I were DH, won’t allow it unless you are Carmelo Anthony.

Reaction Score
he’s going there regardless of your feelings. Sorry buddy
No feelings involved and maybe we’ll see him make them this year but shooting is a necessary skill for a guard to some degree one would think. If he has limitations shooting he’s going to start in the NBA, first off the bench, scrub, or G league?

Reaction Score
No feelings involved and maybe we’ll see him make them this year but shooting is a necessary skill for a guard to some degree one would think. If he has limitations shooting he’s going to start in the NBA, first off the bench, scrub, or G league?
I don’t think anyone disagrees that he has to learn to be a better shooter to have long-term success in the NBA. What you initially said was he needs to be a better shooter to go to the NBA next year. I feel pretty confident a team will take a risk on developing his shooting.

Reaction Score

All but 1 player in the top-5 last year was/is a pretty bad shooter. 3 of them of worse than Castle is. NBA teams are willing to develop the shooting if the other pieces are in place.

Reaction Score
He has such good footwork and is a phenomenal skip passer so I like the idea against mismatches when the play is breaking down but I don’t love how it affects spacing as a primary look.

Reaction Score
The reason why this works is because we have a bunch of guards around Clingan. Leaving your man to help when he's on an island with the 7'3 behemoth is going to lead directly to a 3-ball. If we post up Castle, Samson's man is going to double him hard and there's 0 consequence for doing so because Samson isn't a shooter or driver.

I agree it could be worth a shot if it's a skill he's been developing in practice, but it isn't quite as simple as "let Castle play 1v1."
How come Jay was able to do it with impunity against our guards?

Reaction Score
How come Jay was able to do it with impunity against our guards?

Because they play a crapton of shooters so helping off your man to double the post is risky. Exactly as I explained there.

I'm sure you thought you had something here, but Jay built his teams for this EXACT style of play for a decade. Literally.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
That assist he had to cam for the three was a thing of beauty. That pass was there a few dribbles earlier but he took a couple extra dribbles at the defender to get cam an even cleaner look.

Reaction Score
Im very comfortable letting DH and crew determine what plays to run and how to use Castle

Reaction Score
Because they play a crapton of shooters so helping off your man to double the post is risky. Exactly as I explained there.

I'm sure you thought you had something here, but Jay built his teams for this EXACT style of play for a decade. Literally.
Not trying for a gotcha moment just honestly curious why it wouldnt be the same if SJ/Dc were far from the hoop. We,d still have 4 shooters on the ct. I’m not a bball junkie like lots of folks here. Only watch UConn and march mad.

Reaction Score
Castle needs to be able to make jump shots consistently if he’s really going to the NBA next year.
Teams will look at his 49% from the field & 78% from the FT line to justify that there’s a shooter in there, regardless of his horrid 3pt fg% this early in the season.

3pt fg% is prob going to be the difference between 1-3 or 4-9 for him all said & done

Reaction Score
Yeah his premium move right now is at the hoop. He’s got the strength and post skills to dominate other guards.
Yes,
very impressed with his drives against Zaga

Reaction Score
That assist he had to cam for the three was a thing of beauty. That pass was there a few dribbles earlier but he took a couple extra dribbles at the defender to get cam an even cleaner look.
Noticed this also, not exactly the fast break the Jr High coach diagrammed in 1972

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Castle needs to be able to make jump shots consistently if he’s really going to the NBA next year.
Don't worry - he's going and he is ready.
Bank on it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom