New Haven's Bria Holmes Has 19 As WVU Beats Okla By 1 | The Boneyard

New Haven's Bria Holmes Has 19 As WVU Beats Okla By 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
West Virginia (remember them?) was trailing for most of the game in Norman, OK (by as many as 12 points even in the second half) until they staged a comeback in the final minutes to beat Oklahoma by one point.

Bria Holmes of New Haven, once on Geno's recruiting radar, had 19 points and played very well on defense. She is starting for WVU as a sophomore and is reportedly average double-digit points in the Big 12.

During her senior year, after she committed to WVU, she was interviewed by a Connecticut reporter and said something to the effect that she lost contact with UConn at some point in her junior year. She left the impression that she would have gladly gone to UConn if she had been offered.

I can see why the coaches may have thought that since she played the same position as Morgan Tuck, and would have had little chance of breaking into a forward line that included both Tuck and Stewart, she was not a recruiting priority. If everyone had stayed healthy, that would have been the case. But imagine how much less stressful the next two months would look if she were available on the UConn bench.

Reaction Score
OK deserved a better fate but unbelievably missed 5 foul shots in last minute or so.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Holy cow, I watched the game, and just got off the phone with one of their fans.

What a game.

I was pulling for WV but I feel bad for Campbell. 26 consecutive free throws, hasn't missed one in six games, then, with the game on the line, misses three in a row.

Then, with 1.6 seconds left, it seems the only possibility is a miracle shot, and they don't get the shot, but there's a foul with 0.2 seconds left.

Nail-biter, but after a couple timeouts, the OK player hits one, gets iced, then misses the one to send it to OT

There was one weird play with a couple minutes left when I'm sure more than half the players on the court were literally on the court - all had gone to the floor in a wild scramble, which WV won and scored.

WVU was down by 12 a couple times late, but scratched back and just barely pulled out the win.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Bria Holmes of New Haven, once on Geno's recruiting radar, had 19 points and played very well on defense. She is starting for WVU as a sophomore and is reportedly average double-digit points in the Big 12.

I talked to Carey about Holmes. He left the impression that UConn was interested early, but then cooled on her, but he was happy to have her. This conversation took place before she played a game, I can now see why he was so happy. She looked very good out there.

Reaction Score
WV is a solid 2nd in the B12 and could be in line for a 3 or 4 seed in the tourney.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
did Diamond help sway UConn away from Holmes as well (even tho a year apart). again, Geno doesnt care for Connecticut HS girls basketball and their rules

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
did Diamond help sway UConn away from Holmes as well (even tho a year apart). again, Geno doesnt care for Connecticut HS girls basketball and their rules
It is my impression, although I never read anything official on it, that Geno felt that Diamond was solid on UCONN and given that she played a very similar position to Holmes, opted to back off recruiting Bria. I have to imagine Geno certainly regrets that decision - I know most of the fans who follow UCONN WCBB closely do.

I don't disagree about the Conn HS hoops rules, but if someone is talented, that skill and potential will shine through...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It is my impression, although I never read anything official on it, that Geno felt that Diamond was solid on UCONN and given that she played a very similar position to Holmes, opted to back off recruiting Bria. I have to imagine Geno certainly regrets that decision - I know most of the fans who follow UCONN WCBB closely do.

I don't disagree about the Conn HS hoops rules, but if someone is talented, that skill and potential will shine through...
well said

HGN

Reaction Score
I think Holmes was a solid UConn lean and was even photographed wearing a UConn sweatshirt at a game....But Geno decided not to offer her for all the reasons mentioned earlier.

She seems to be developing into a solid 2/3 for West Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom