new Gampel video | The Boneyard

new Gampel video

Reaction Score
I forget, were those new roof washers convex or concave?

pj

Reaction Score
I forget, were those new roof washers convex or concave?

Depends on your point of view. Last season was the glass half full or half empty?

Reaction Score
Any architects or engineers want to comment on the use of this system? State of the art 30 years ago? It seems incredibly difficult to refurbish.
Im no architect but this looks like a very poorly conceived idea. There are more efficiant ways to do this. I cant believe those things were up there for nearly 30 years with no replacement.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
From a repair / maintenance standpoint being able to remove individual panels is a great idea. No splicing, no seams, no flashing. Having to do it all at once is time consuming but so is any other roof of that magnitude. At least these guys get to do the majority of the repair inside a building. Imagine needing 50 guys on that roof on a day like today to rip and replace. You aint getting much done and guys would be droppin like flies.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Any architects or engineers want to comment on the use of this system? State of the art 30 years ago? It seems incredibly difficult to refurbish.
I'm an architect. Although the dome is aesthetically pleasing, there are so many easier to maintain and more efficient long-span structural designs that could have been used. Bucky Fuller's geodesic dome peaked at Expo 67. This was some architect's wet dream.

Reactions: pj

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I think the solution to the difficult design considerations here is that it was intended that the school would refurbish tiles individually as they wore down, not waiting 10 years after they all look like ish but I agree, there must be an easier way to achieve this aesthetic.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm an architect. Although the dome is aesthetically pleasing, there are so many easier to maintain and more efficient long-span structural designs that could have been used. Bucky Fuller's geodesic dome peaked at Expo 67. This was some architect's wet dream.
So what are reasonable maintenance costs over 27 years for a roof of this size?

Reaction Score
So what are reasonable maintenance costs over 27 years for a roof of this size?
If it was a flat roof with an EPDM (rubber) membrane with a twenty year warranty, over time failure of flashing and seams can be easily repaired. When it comes time to replace you just roll out and seal a new membrane over the course of a week or two.

pj

Reaction Score

I think there's no way they go with this roof design if they could start again from the beginning. But, considering that the roof is there, this method seems the only way to get a good roof back in place in one summer's work.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
If it was a flat roof with an EPDM (rubber) membrane with a twenty year warranty, over time failure of flashing and seams can be easily repaired. When it comes time to replace you just roll out and seal a new membrane over the course of a week or two.

Not to be contrarian but this is where I see the office and the field having some disconnect. If there were leaks how much insulation needs to be replaced? Was it an engineered, tapered system that will need to be specially produced? If the insulation was indeed saturated from leaks was there any degradation of the steel decking below? Would a new membrane allow for another 20 year warranty or would it need to be completely removed and replaced? A simple answer from the office often becomes more difficult in the field.

I do agree, however, that a flat roof would be less costly than a domed roof but architectural features like a domed structure, in a place like a college campus, are important. You sprout up 50 flat roofed, sprawling steel grid structures and it would be the most boring campus on Earth. "You gotta pay the cost to be the boss."

We also need to realize that Gampel is getting not only a new roof but a new interior ceiling.

Reaction Score
raw.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom