New Entryway To Campus Open Soon | The Boneyard

New Entryway To Campus Open Soon

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
At work so can't post the tweet from the @Uconn account but it looks great. Says it will be open soon and will run between Rt. 44 and North Eagleville Road. Think this is crucial to relieving traffic congestion, especially on game days.

For those that don't know where this is, it will run through the new tech park. Enter in by busby and next to the tennis courts, and will take you down the hill staring across at North Garage and the Visitor's Center.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
It's downright comical that people on facebook are complaining about this. Unbelievable.

Drew

Reaction Score
It's downright comical that people on facebook are complaining about this. Unbelievable.

What are they saying? How could you possibly complain about this? Its going to do nothing but spur development for the university.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Check out Google Maps. It clearly impacts a bunch of houses right along the path. I counted somewhere between 0 and 0. It's just another artery.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The school has always needed a statement entrance. I look forward to seeing what they've done there. Provided that the school sticks with the master plan, and they've already deviated from it, the campus is going to be much more cohesive and impressive.

Reaction Score
Kudos on the massive improvement, yet wonder why the university's only building 2 lanes now. Perhaps it's a first step, and later will expand to 3 lanes (1 reversible) or 4 lanes to support the new Technology Park. ???

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Da_Aisijimo_Gou said:
Kudos on the massive improvement, yet wonder why the university's only building 2 lanes now. Perhaps it's a first step, and later will expand to 3 lanes (1 reversible) or 4 lanes to support the new Technology Park. ???

No. In order to maximize the utility of the land in and around the environmental constraints, it was always a two lane road. You may get a left turn lane at each end, but the traffic doesn't warrant anything more, even at full development. It's not intended to be a highway.

Reaction Score
It's probably quicker to 44 than using Hunting Lodge Road. So it should move traffic off those back roads and provide easy in and out to campus. Probably also opens up access to the new STEM stuff.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No. In order to maximize the utility of the land in and around the environmental constraints, it was always a two lane road. You may get a left turn lane at each end, but the traffic doesn't warrant anything more, even at full development. It's not intended to be a highway.
I could see both lanes being used to exit after an event. You'd still have Storrs Road and Hunting Lodge Road for incoming traffic.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
CL82 said:
I could see both lanes being used to exit after an event. You'd still have Storrs Road and Hunting Lodge Road for incoming traffic.

The problem with event traffic is that all the parking is inside what should be a non-vehicle zone. Way too close to center campus. Everything should be adjacent to the four state highways that encircle the campus or across 195.

Reaction Score
This road is not for event traffic. It should help in that regard but that isn't why it's being built.

Its most important function is to open up frontage for the new stem building/buildings.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
You can see it on Google Maps. When they said it was a new "campus entrance" I expected it would connect with 195 somewhere near Mansfield Supply, maybe they'll add a road that does that later in the future.

Drew

Reaction Score
You can see it on Google Maps. When they said it was a new "campus entrance" I expected it would connect with 195 somewhere near Mansfield Supply, maybe they'll add a road that does that later in the future.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/U...2!3m1!1s0x89e68a397a05e30b:0xb26c6f4b296c85ea

After looking on google maps it looks like this road should alleviate a TON of traffic. Also opens up a completely different area for development. Wouldn't be surprised to see another Storrs Center type development around the technology park area. Maybe a neighborhood with town homes like the ones being built in Storrs Center currently. The demand is there for quality housing. Need to see if they can't add in a small Target or something there.

Storrs will be a desirable area to open a small business or a small office if you're a CT based business as long as they keep developing the area. There is talks of a new rail line from Hartford-Storrs-Providence which would help this development even further.

Or you know- we could use the land to build a football stadium ;)

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
https://www.google.com/maps/place/U...2!3m1!1s0x89e68a397a05e30b:0xb26c6f4b296c85ea

After looking on google maps it looks like this road should alleviate a TON of traffic. Also opens up a completely different area for development. Wouldn't be surprised to see another Storrs Center type development around the technology park area. Maybe a neighborhood with town homes like the ones being built in Storrs Center currently. The demand is there for quality housing. Need to see if they can't add in a small Target or something there.

Storrs will be a desirable area to open a small business or a small office if you're a CT based business as long as they keep developing the area. There is talks of a new rail line from Hartford-Storrs-Providence which would help this development even further.

Or you know- we could use the land to build a football stadium ;)

I know you want that rail line, and trust me, i do too, but it will probably never happen. The gist is: Maybe, just maybe, they can extend the line if 384 makes it to Willimantic. Maybe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom