New Conference | The Boneyard

New Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Hoop Schools could breakaway, and why wouldn't they at this point? What is our plan?

The game is pretty easy now. We have to figure out how to make enough money to keep the wheels on and still keep some fan interest.

We have enough to make a small football conference that could be as lucrative as the new Big East contract and we won't have to fly to far flung places that our fans will never bother traveling to anyways.

UConn
USF
Cincy
Temple
ECU
UCF
Buffalo (need scrub)
UMass (too close to overlook)

Every single school is east of the Miss.. It still touches some decent markets.

I would miss Boise, but we probably were only going to play them once every three years anyways.

Reaction Score
There was an article in the Springfield paper this week saying Umass should stay in the MAC for now rather than move to this highly unstable and clusterduck of a conference. No guarantee they would even come and I don't blame them,.

Reaction Score
At what point do we consider joining the mac for football and a10 for bball. In all honesty is it that worse than where we are now?

Reaction Score
There was an article in the Springfield paper this week saying Umass should stay in the MAC for now rather than move to this highly unstable and clusterduck of a conference. No guarantee they would even come and I don't blame them,.

Not sure what the marketplace would provide for a conference like the one I described.

If the Hoop schools split, we will be left with the new new Big East. Do we still want to be a part of that? Or do we just take the best of what is left of the remaining football members, fill in the blanks and do our own thing as well?

I am just spitballing at this point. No need to call Blumenthal:)

Reaction Score
At what point do we consider joining the mac for football and a10 for bball. In all honesty is it that worse than where we are now?

When the MAC pays more for football than any other deal we can get. I think there are enough schools left to make something better than the MAC.

Reaction Score
When the MAC pays more for football than any other deal we can get. I think there are enough schools left to make something better than the MAC.
Yes you are probably right. I am being overly dramatic this morning.

Reaction Score
Our only option is to break away with the basketball schools and play all our Olympics sports there while trying to find the best football conference to stay competitive. There is no way staying in a conference with Tulane, East Carolina, SMU, Houston and UCF is attractive for Olympics sports due to travel costs.

Reaction Score
Our only option is to break away with the basketball schools and play all our Olympics sports there while trying to find the best football conference to stay competitive. There is no way staying in a conference with Tulane, East Carolina, SMU, Houston and UCF is attractive for Olympics sports due to travel costs.

I like UCF and ECU because they are in the footprint. If we can go with the Basketball schools and dip into that treasure trove or enhance it that works too.

I wouldn't want to live in Greenville, but they have a solid football environment.

We should look at a more regional football conference. In the new playoff framework with the highest ranking non-Big 5 school getting into the "BCS" bowl, we can still make a play without having to travel to Houston, Dallas, Boise, San Diego....

Reaction Score
I think you'd need one or two more teams, I think you want to get to maybe 10. Maybe another Ohio one, but overall it is no worse than the current dreck of a conference. Absolutely awful to be stuck with this mess for basketball too. Go regional and try to build a dominant program along with Cincinnatti, maybe.

Reaction Score
I don't want to talk about the new conference until it's absolutely certain UConn is stuck in it.

At which point, I may be done with college athletics.

Reaction Score
The Hoop Schools could breakaway, and why wouldn't they at this point? What is our plan?

The game is pretty easy now. We have to figure out how to make enough money to keep the wheels on and still keep some fan interest.

We have enough to make a small football conference that could be as lucrative as the new Big East contract and we won't have to fly to far flung places that our fans will never bother traveling to anyways.

UConn
USF
Cincy
Temple
ECU
UCF
Buffalo (need scrub)
UMass (too close to overlook)

Every single school is east of the Miss.. It still touches some decent markets.

I would miss Boise, but we probably were only going to play them once every three years anyways.

I got shot down in the "next moves" thread with a similar idea with a "Where did you come from?" message.

While far from ideal, I still think this becomes preferable to the Frankenstein-conference that is being created.
Go with your 8, keep Memphis for their basketball, and find 1 more. Like I said in the other thread, I would prefer something like a Charlotte FBS upgrade to Tulane! (which would further help basketball).

Face it, the B1G would be great, but that's a pipe dream at this point. The ACC obviously has a faction that will not admit UConn. We're going to be left with a rough football conference either way, let's at least have something that make geographic sense and can foster regional rivalries! And a conference that had UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Charlotte, and Temple is at least something that can remain relevant in basketball... If you can coax Villanova and Georgetown in for all sports but football (with the option to upgrade their programs later), great. Otherwise I would try and stay away from the hybrid league structure...

Reaction Score
When you don't like the paths you have, you seek to make your own. I am sure that Cincy and USF are as non plussed as we are. It is something worth exploring/exploiting.

I got shot down in the "next moves" thread with a similar idea with a "Where did you come from?" message.

While far from ideal, I still think this becomes preferable to the Frankenstein-conference that is being created.
Go with your 8, keep Memphis for their basketball, and find 1 more. Like I said in the other thread, I would prefer something like a Charlotte FBS upgrade to Tulane! (which would further help basketball).

Face it, the B1G would be great, but that's a pipe dream at this point. The ACC obviously has a faction that will not admit UConn. We're going to be left with a rough football conference either way, let's at least have something that make geographic sense and can foster regional rivalries! And a conference that had UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Charlotte, and Temple is at least something that can remain relevant in basketball... If you can coax Villanova and Georgetown in for all sports but football (with the option to upgrade their programs later), great. Otherwise I would try and stay away from the hybrid league structure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom