New conference new ideas | The Boneyard

New conference new ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With a brand new conference there comes a chance for new ways of thinking, new ideas, a fresh approach and a chance to avoid things that were broken in other conferences. Naming the conference AAC was a good move on a couple different fronts. For one it puts the AAC first in line of any list of conferences and for another it basically says to the world" We know who was most responsible for the dissolution of Big East Football and we thumb our nose at them". With this fresh start there are a couple things I'd love to see done differently.
  • I'd like to see the conference get it's own radio and tv network up and running asap and for AAC network games I thought it might be interesting to deviate from the norm during halftime. I'd like to see more of the halftime show on the field and lose the commentary of what we just saw for ourselves in the first half. How many times have you said to yourself "gee why do the announcers have to regurgitate what I just saw? Lets see more cheerleader action".
  • I would really like to see this conference go above and beyond in it's hiring of the officials, especially in women's basketball. I would rather see the best officiating regardless of sexual orientation. I don't want to see women officials being hired just for the sake of hiring women. Lets get beyond that and hire the best officials we can find, man or woman, lets just hire the best.
  • I'd like to see this conference go one step ahead of everyone else as far as it's television and radio coverage and to do that I thought it might be an interesting idea to have one person from each school in the booth instead of the usual 2 guys from one school. Instead of having 4 guys (2 from each school) doing the play by play just have 2, one from each school and send the feed to both markets. Just have the home stations plug in advertising for their particular market. you could work it out so that the home team announcer does the announcing and the visiting team announcer does the commentating/analyzing. Could make for some interesting banter. I'm sure the unions would shoot it down and that's unfortunate.
Anyways, those are a couple of thoughts, lets hear yours!

Reaction Score
Not to poo poo your idea, but where is the money for a network Going to come from? This league was a free agent and networks were not exactly tripping over themselves to partner up for a network.

What I'd lie to see is the bowl line up.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Not to poo poo your idea, but where is the money for a network Going to come from? This league was a free agent and networks were not exactly tripping over themselves to partner up for a network.

What I'd lie to see is the bowl line up.

"What I'd lie to see is the bowl line up"....

Be careful what you wish for.....

Reaction Score
The time to be creative was when there was a chance for a "UConn Network" in partnership with sNY. But that was before Aresco sold all of UConn's media rights to ESPN, But that ship has sailed.

As for a conference network, ESPN owns the revenue sports' content lock, stock and barrel, so there will be no conference network. And truthfully, even if they didn't, the current teams don't carry nearly enough heft to justify a startup network. The Big Ten gives you a good idea of how to do it, but the AAC is no Big Ten. We barely have footprint neighborhoods nevermind states.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
More of the band at halftime? Oh dear God no. People don't even watch that live at the Rent. They head for the $9.00 beer kiosks.
My thoughts are that I.agree Aresco hosed us. No SNY partnership ability. Just probably the Dracula report, weekly grunt show with Coach P

Reaction Score
More of the band at halftime? Oh dear God no.

Our marching band and spirit squad are the best assets we have on gameday. They provides the spirit and pagentry that make college football what it is. You can enjoy waiting in line for your $9 beers. I, and thousands of others will stay and enjoy our magnificent band.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The TV network could exist for the sole purpose of showing the halftime shows... since they won't have the rights to the games.

Can't wait to listen to Memphis/SMU on the radio network. That will be a good listen.

I hope the Willimantic Brotherhood of Radio Broadcasters hasn't caught wind of this yet. I bet Wayne Norman would organize a boom box strike on Main St if he found out.

Reaction Score
The TV network could exist for the sole purpose of showing the halftime shows... since they won't have the rights to the games.

Can't wait to listen to Memphis/SMU on the radio network. That will be a good listen.

I hope the Willimantic Brotherhood of Radio Broadcasters hasn't caught wind of this yet. I bet Wayne Norman would organize a boom box strike on Main St if he found out.
That post will be the funniest thing I read all day. Nice...

Reaction Score
Half time shows on tv ought to have "day in the life..." stories of players or coaches. Will give new viewers a semblance of connection with the teams. Increase interest. Will get players excited plus additional marketing on their part on behalf of the league.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I fully support attempting to have the cheerleaders broadcast at halftime, if for no other reason they might try and rig Kevin Nathan up with some complicated one man satellite dish like Al Franken covering Bush/Dukakis.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Here's my idea on how the AAC could do something novel - mic up the backboards. Let's hear more of the grunts. In surround sound.

And mascot fights at halftime.

Reaction Score
If Navy actually joins, I'd be okay adding one basketball-only school so that we had 12 football, 12 basketball.

This would be a good way to add a school that would buoy the strength of basketball. I think justone wouldn't be terrible. Maybe VCU.

Reaction Score
With a brand new conference there comes a chance for new ways of thinking, new ideas, a fresh approach and a chance to avoid things that were broken in other conferences. Naming the conference AAC was a good move on a couple different fronts. For one it puts the AAC first in line of any list of conferences and for another it basically says to the world" We know who was most responsible for the dissolution of Big East Football and we thumb our nose at them". With this fresh start there are a couple things I'd love to see done differently.
  • I'd like to see the conference get it's own radio and tv network up and running asap and for AAC network games I thought it might be interesting to deviate from the norm during halftime. I'd like to see more of the halftime show on the field and lose the commentary of what we just saw for ourselves in the first half. How many times have you said to yourself "gee why do the announcers have to regurgitate what I just saw? Lets see more cheerleader action".
  • I would really like to see this conference go above and beyond in it's hiring of the officials, especially in women's basketball. I would rather see the best officiating regardless of sexual orientation. I don't want to see women officials being hired just for the sake of hiring women. Lets get beyond that and hire the best officials we can find, man or woman, lets just hire the best.
  • I'd like to see this conference go one step ahead of everyone else as far as it's television and radio coverage and to do that I thought it might be an interesting idea to have one person from each school in the booth instead of the usual 2 guys from one school. Instead of having 4 guys (2 from each school) doing the play by play just have 2, one from each school and send the feed to both markets. Just have the home stations plug in advertising for their particular market. you could work it out so that the home team announcer does the announcing and the visiting team announcer does the commentating/analyzing. Could make for some interesting banter. I'm sure the unions would shoot it down and that's unfortunate.
Anyways, those are a couple of thoughts, lets hear yours!

You want something to really spin your head? We should break up into well defined North and South divisions. Then implement a point system where you get 2 points for a win against the other division instead of one. This way you immediately create increased importance and thus interest in the teams that, you normally, want nothing to do with. UConn vs Tulane takes on a different meaning in some season ending scenarios. Also, play up the "civil war" angle, you know what I'm saying? Hey it's different.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When I hear "new ideas" in a football context I think XFL. Let's just play football. Unless GDL is the one wearing "He Hate Me".

Reaction Score
What lines will there be during the Tulane or ECU games?

Our marching band and spirit squad are the best assets we have on gameday. They provides the spirit and pagentry that make college football what it is. You can enjoy waiting in line for your $9 beers. I, and thousands of others will stay and enjoy our magnificent band.

Reaction Score
I was thinking that with a brand new conference there might be some wiggle room to try some new ideas as far as the TV, internet and radio broadcasts, something other conferences don't do to make this conference unique and hopefully draw unexpected viewership. ESPN isn't exactly breaking the bank to broadcast this league so maybe they'd be open for some fresh ideas.
I expected the naysayers and the smart azzes, you know, the ones that complain about a sunny day being too sunny but a couple different ideas popped up so good show to that. I liked that idea of the north/south conferences and the points towards a conference or division champion. Not so much the digging up of the Civil War theme but the points thing is the kind of outside of the box idea that could make this a fun conference(for the short time we're here). The division winner with the higher points total hosts the conference championship game.

Reaction Score
I had another thought. Instead of the back biting that was prevalent with the fan bases of the Big East it might be nice to see "fan base clubs" so to speak interacting and sharing, kind of like on the old auto clubs or RV clubs theme. Not necessarily setting up B&B's or hostiles for visiting fan base clubs but something along those lines might make for a very enjoyable road game experience for all involved, especially seeing as the schools are not day trips but for a few exceptions. The destinations of some of these schools could be a RVer's or retiree's dream. Being able to meet up with like minded people to catch a game and to share could be a good thing if nurtured and promoted the right way through the conference. Take a possible disadvantage and turn it into an advantage.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Wey, appreciate the enthusiasm, but I would not get my hopes up. Creative broadcast ideas come from conferences that are proactive and forward-thinking.

The AAC is neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104