New Big 12 expansion poll - choose the schools and change your vote as new rumors surface. | The Boneyard

New Big 12 expansion poll - choose the schools and change your vote as new rumors surface.

Which school will be invited to the Big 12

• UConn

Votes: 114 72.2%
  • BYU

Votes: 57 36.1%
  • Cincinnati

Votes: 126 79.7%
  • Houston

Votes: 90 57.0%
  • Memphis

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • UCF

Votes: 34 21.5%
  • USF

Votes: 8 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here's a different take on a Big 12 poll. You can choose up to 4 schools and you can change your vote. Think BYU is a lock, put 'em in there. A week later decide that the LGBT issues are a poison pill, take 'em out. If people stay on it, it should give a sense of what the collective brain trust of the Boneyard thinks is a likely outcome.

Feel free to comment to explain choices or changes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As of 8/11 I think they settle for two and they smarten up and take the best two. Connecticut and Cincinnati.

CL82

Reaction Score
You forgot to put "none" again. That's what I'm thinking these days.
I only had limited answer choices. I left out CSU as well. I was going to double up on the Fla schools but I thought that it would inflate that choice.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
So this is an exercise in thinking like a B12 president.

Rule #1 in full effect: Cincy, BYU, Memphis and Houston.

CL82

Reaction Score
I have gone mental. Not unlike him. So I'm not sure anymore.
I think you may be possessed by his picture. Using it as an avatar is like watching the video in "The Ring."

Reaction Score
I'm 75-80% convinced that this round of Big 12 expansion is a bluff, and part of me would be relieved if it is. At least the situation wouldn't get any worse.

But here's the worst thing about the AAC: it's a league that can never be about the sports. It can't improve or grow stronger, because the best programs will always be linked to CR.

In that environment, rivalries can't form naturally. Not only do we not particularly care about UConn vs Memphis in football or UConn vs SMU in basketball today, it's unlikely we ever will. The "game" that the fans really to win is conference realignment.

I've found my resentment for Memphis and Houston not on the court or field, but in Twitter rumors calling them a better add than us. That's very lame.

Reaction Score
I'm still gloomy and doomy. I figure BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF (or Memphis) go, and we are S-C-R-E-W-E-D because of geography and three years of Coach Pee, despite all of our credentials and achievements.

Amory's point is well-taken, too. They should change the name of the AAC to the Purgatory Conference.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
UConn, UC, Houston. Had a hard time deciding between BYU and UCF. I'm confident that for most of the CR world (including the Big 12) a very public but token addressing of BYU's LBGT issue would suffice. I'm just not sure how tenaciously BYU would stick to their guns re: the values of the Mormon Church vs. the practical advantages of the school being on the right side of the P5/G5 divide. For now (FOR NOW) I'll say they stick to their guns and are excluded to the advantage of UCF.

• Memphis- unimaginable
  • USF- dunno- I think UCF has more upside.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
What about the Lobos? They're in a contiguous state. That ought to count for something, shouldn't it? Maybe we can get away with some geography trickeration by claiming we're in a contiguous state to the Lobos. We are (Southwick, MA).

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Is this Matt talking or the Dude?
Wait is that who's picture is the avatar? I totally missed the story behind it but am creeped out every time I see you post. Please bring back Musket Husky!

CL82

Reaction Score
The lack of a campus visit has killed my dwindling hope. I've taken us out.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The lack of a campus visit has killed my dwindling hope. I've taken us out.

It could be taken two ways. We're either totally screwed, or we're already in and there's no reason to visit the campus because we're not competing against anybody else. They can visit anytime just as a formality, to check off that box.

Reaction Score
I'm 75-80% convinced that this round of Big 12 expansion is a bluff, and part of me would be relieved if it is. At least the situation wouldn't get any worse.

But here's the worst thing about the AAC: it's a league that can never be about the sports. It can't improve or grow stronger, because the best programs will always be linked to CR.

In that environment, rivalries can't form naturally. Not only do we not particularly care about UConn vs Memphis in football or UConn vs SMU in basketball today, it's unlikely we ever will. The "game" that the fans really to win is conference realignment.

I've found my resentment for Memphis and Houston not on the court or field, but in Twitter rumors calling them a better add than us. That's very lame.
I'm beginning to think the same about big 12 I the same way... Also posted while back that big 12 would be least favorable for Uconn of p5 conferences. Biggest kick might be linking Uconn with this group of schools.

Reaction Score
At least give us all schools giving presentations...
I'm a big underdog fan and north Arkansas state.
Who knows, maybe even southeast central Louisiana state can get a bid as well. Fear the mud dogs !

Reaction Score
If we are a real candidate we probably had our visit when the KState president came to Hartford last November. That was when B12 expansion started to get some smoke around it. It was also around the time Cincy President Ono was tweeting about his contact with B12 Presidents and ADs. The KSU President was chairman of the B12 at the time. They could have spent some weekend time in Storrs, stopped by the Rent Monday, had dinner at the Hartford mansion and then headed to the game at XL at 7:30pm. Once he reported back about the facilities, a visit wasn't needed. I'm sure he was totally shocked if he saw the football and basketball complexes and told people about it.

I'm not going to worry about the visit issue because I know that a visit of sorts already happened. Whether or not it went as described above or not, we'll never know. However, Herbst did meet with him and he heard all about the great things happening at UConn per his own tweet. Of course, if a meeting was taking place right now in Storrs would we know? Probably not.

I am more interested in Beth Goetz setting the record straight. Why did she do that? I have three guesses: We aren't supposed to be talking about it, It didn't happen and she doesn't want the fans felling optimistic, or we are talking to more than one suitor and the confidentiality is critical.

ESPN is the fox in the hen house. They need not know what we are up to in regards to the B12 but we need them working for us on the ACC/B1G fronts. I can see how this is a very delicate operation if they are doing this correctly. The only way this doesn't require very careful maneuvering is if we aren't even able get the consideration of the conferences and tv execs. If we are talking to people, we are working more than one room and that requires secrecy.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I really think the reason they "set the record straight" was to continue to keep things tight lipped. It's been that way throughout this whole process. Whether that means something or not I have no clue but it would fit the trend of what UConn has been doing. There's no way anyone can tell me that UConn is doing nothing either so don't even start with that narrative all you haters out there.

I think someone high up saw the tweet and wanted to make sure it was sealed up like the rest of the business being handled in terms of CR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom