New Athletic District Site Configuration | The Boneyard

New Athletic District Site Configuration

Reaction Score
https://updc.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/1525/2018/08/2018.06.13_Project-Updates.pdf

On page 34 of the lastest Project Update a new site configuration is shown. The new soccer stadium and practice field will be located on existing baseball and softball fields. New softball field and performance center will be located on existing soccer field. New track field events area to be located adjacent to new baseball stadium. Existing Jim Calhoun Way will become a cul de sac and a new road will be constructed along the left field/third base side of J.O. Christian Field. Appears to be much better layout.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was the furniture for the Fine Arts Library picked out in 1974?

Reaction Score
https://updc.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/1525/2018/08/2018.06.13_Project-Updates.pdf

On page 33 of the lastest Project Update a new site configuration is shown. The new soccer stadium and practice field will be located on existing baseball and softball fields. New softball field and performance center will be located on existing soccer field. New track field events area to be located adjacent to new baseball stadium. Existing Jim Calhoun Way will become a cul de sac and a new road will be constructed along the left field/third base side of J.O. Christian Field. Appears to be much better layout.

This is at least the third configuration of the fields that I have seen. The advantages that I see for this one is that all the fields are pretty close to the central building facility, and with the soccer field set off like that away from the other athletic facilities it could make it easier to expand the seating capacity. Also, I'm sure it is done in consideration of whatever they end up building for hockey next to Freitas.

Reaction Score

On page 34 of the latest Project Update a new site configuration is shown. The new soccer stadium and practice field will be located on existing baseball and softball fields. New softball field and performance center will be located on existing soccer field. New track field events area to be located adjacent to new baseball stadium. Existing Jim Calhoun Way will become a cul de sac and a new road will be constructed along the left field/third base side of J.O. Christian Field. Appears to be much better layout.

Thanks.

Athletic - Which one is the University going for, the one on Page 29 or the one on Page 33?

One immediate concern I have assuming that the new soccer stadium will have a grass pitch and thus should be limited to game use only is the lack of a second soccer practice field. This could cause scheduling issues for both soccer programs and could impact the future hope of adding a Men's Lax program.

Also, this will be the third for forth location for Track throwing events. The first location was up on the hill next to the original Hilltop towers.

Beyond the athletics campus...
  • I've parked at UConn Stamford before. It was a mess. But, its only being replaced with a 300 car surface lot. Where is everyone else going to park?
  • The new pool in the Student Center looks huge. Does this mean that Wolff-Zackin will be torn down?
    Also, how many renovations has Grant MSB had? I can count 4 off the top of my head. May have been cheaper to start from scratch.
  • I had thought that UConn was putting parking under Sherman (similar to what BU did wit their New Balance field. This, "90-100 parking spaces between Werth Center and Sherman Field," sounds like a new parking garage next to Sherman.
  • $17 M for yet another library renovation?

Reaction Score
Note, the document linked above dated June 13, 2018 does not include subsequent updates, e.g., Freitas Ice Forum renovation and additional new hockey arena construction (initial capacity 2,500, expandable to 4K).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Athletic - Which one is the University going for, the one on Page 29 or the one on Page 33?
The page 29 one is close but not exact.

CL82

Reaction Score

Nice. This looks like it is a rendering of the most current iteration. Morrone Stadium looks good in the background and you see the lights for the baseball stadium. Just need to add the revised hockey arena.

I feel like if this exists there should also be a rendering of baseball stadium somewhere.

Reaction Score
Nice. This looks like it is a rendering of the most current iteration. Morrone Stadium looks good in the background and you see the lights for the baseball stadium. Just need to add the revised hockey arena.

I feel like if this exists there should also be a rendering of baseball stadium somewhere.

Scroll through this page on the UConn website. The softball field that is illustrated above is here as well, so I'm guessing it is fairly well up to date.

Capital Projects

CL82

Reaction Score
1545067900235.png

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
That blank brick wall needs to be blue with a target of some kind, maybe a husky.

CL82

Reaction Score
That blank brick wall needs to be blue with a target of some kind, maybe a husky.
I think there was a later version where the moved everything out past the performance center, but it looks like this may be the most recent iteration, or at least the most recent rendering.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They could also use that wall for holding stuff like title banners and retired numbers

Reaction Score
They could also use that wall for holding stuff like title banners and retired numbers
Do we have any retired numbers? I'd love to the two world series winners names somewhere in the stadium...and Walt Dropo, too.

Last edited:

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
has there been any mention of redoing the tennis courts as part of all of this? So weird they're all the way up by Busby

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom