New Athletic District Construction Update Videos | The Boneyard

New Athletic District Construction Update Videos

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Soccer and Lax stadium?

Last edited:

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I noticed the LAX as well. I'm in the corner of trimming some men's sports, like maybe golf and tennis, and upgrading the LAX to D1 from club. I opt for trimming versus adding more women's schollies & sports only due to our funding constraints. CT is a good LAX state. Seems a natural upgrade.

Reaction Score
Great video; thanks for sharing HuskyMedic. Quick observations: 1. Sure hope designs incorporate reasonable behind the goals' standing room or seats enabling traditional opponent goalie heckling; 2. Maintain the attractive treeline behind the outfield walls.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Mea culpa. I know and may have unintentionally been sexist in my response. Sorry Ladies.
But my other point stands. I'd like to see a men's team so we can take advantage of ALL the quality LAX players in CT.

Reaction Score
I noticed the LAX as well. I'm in the corner of trimming some men's sports, like maybe golf and tennis, and upgrading the LAX to D1 from club. I opt for trimming versus adding more women's schollies & sports only due to our funding constraints. CT is a good LAX state. Seems a natural upgrade.

If UConn was to upgrade Men's Lax, which I agree is logical considering the popularity of Lax in the state and the number of D1 recruits coming from Connecticut, UConn would likely need to build an additional practice field to accommodate such (assuming that the new Morrone is used as the game field, though it would be confusing as Women's Lax uses different lines than Men's Lax, no to mention soccer). Is there enough open space left in that corner of campus to build such?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If UConn was to upgrade Men's Lax, which I agree is logical considering the popularity of Lax in the state and the number of D1 recruits coming from Connecticut, UConn would likely need to build an additional practice field to accommodate such (assuming that the new Morrone is used as the game field, though it would be confusing as Women's Lax uses different lines than Men's Lax, no to mention soccer). Is there enough open space left in that corner of campus to build such?
Not saying that the upgrade will happen or that an extra field is needed but yes there is space. It might require a bit more clearing and leveling than the current projects though.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Great questions and informative. I had no idea the lines would be different between the men and women. In my pea brain I assumed it would be an easy add. Just move the scholarships over to LAX from something else and it's a done deal. Clearly I was off by a little bit.

Reaction Score
Just move the scholarships over to LAX from something else and it's a done deal. Clearly I was off by a little bit.
Minor considerations:
* What’s the likelihood the total $ in partial men’s golf and tennis scholarships and budgets even comes close to a potentially larger # of players and required budget for a competitive lax team?
* Prospective burned alumni and donation hits versus possible overall increased donation dinero?
* Potentially, it’s a more challenging switcheroo than perceived.

Reaction Score
UConn should not field a lacrosse team until the school is in better financial condition and the team is supported well enough to be nationally competitive. There is no need to field anther non-competitive squad in any sport at this time. That simply hurts our athletic profile. We shouldn't be doing anything half-assed.

Reaction Score
I would love to see UConn field a men's lacrosse team, but there is a rather big problem with money as has been point out. UConn can barely scrape together the dollars for the various athletic facility improvements they are currently doing with ice hockey, and it has taken a long, long time to see any progress with the facilities for men's and women's soccer, baseball, and softball. If someone was willing to donate the millions of dollars to fund a men's lacrosse team, I'm sure UConn would be quite willing to do it. I seem to remember the athletic director saying as much in a speech a couple of years ago. But barring that, UConn is not going to be adding any sports do to its financial situation. If UConn were ever able to gain acceptance into the Big 10 or the ACC, that would probably change the financial situation for adding a team, but UConn has been waiting for that invite for some time now, and it doesn't exactly seem to be on the horizon.

Reaction Score
I would love to see UConn field a men's lacrosse team, but there is a rather big problem with money as has been point out. UConn can barely scrape together the dollars for the various athletic facility improvements they are currently doing with ice hockey, and it has taken a long, long time to see any progress with the facilities for men's and women's soccer, baseball, and softball. If someone was willing to donate the millions of dollars to fund a men's lacrosse team, I'm sure UConn would be quite willing to do it. I seem to remember the athletic director saying as much in a speech a couple of years ago. But barring that, UConn is not going to be adding any sports do to its financial situation. If UConn were ever able to gain acceptance into the Big 10 or the ACC, that would probably change the financial situation for adding a team, but UConn has been waiting for that invite for some time now, and it doesn't exactly seem to be on the horizon.

Painfully agree. Plus, I am not sure that even if Men's Golf and Tennis were sacrificed in order to upgrade Men's Lax if the financial numbers would be the same as before and thus there could be a Title IX issue. To meet the law, I suspect that another women's sport would need to be added or more money and scholarships would have to be spent on existing programs like Women's Lax, Hockey and Rowing.

PS - To this day, I have no idea how programs like Alabama, Oklahoma, etc. meet IX requirements as I suspect that their football programs spend more money than each schools respective women's programs combined.

Reaction Score
Painfully agree. Plus, I am not sure that even if Men's Golf and Tennis were sacrificed in order to upgrade Men's Lax if the financial numbers would be the same as before and thus there could be a Title IX issue. To meet the law, I suspect that another women's sport would need to be added or more money and scholarships would have to be spent on existing programs like Women's Lax, Hockey and Rowing.

PS - To this day, I have no idea how programs like Alabama, Oklahoma, etc. meet IX requirements as I suspect that their football programs spend more money than each schools respective women's programs combined.

Shooting the crap the other day about this w/ a UConn Club Lacrosse player who's buddy w/ my youngest son. Title 9 compliance isn't the issue per se (it can be addressed) > it's the start-up and on-going operating costs for the program. Someone needs to write a big check.

>>Athletics programs are considered educational programs and activities. There are three basic parts of Title IX as it applies to athletics:

1.) Participation: Title IX requires that women and men be provided equitable opportunities to participate in sports. Title IX does not require institutions to offer identical sports but an equal opportunity to play;
2.) Scholarships: Title IX requires that female and male student-athletes receive athletics scholarship dollars proportional to their participation; and

3.)Other benefits: Title IX requires the equal treatment of female and male student-athletes in the provisions of: (a) equipment and supplies; (b) scheduling of games and practice times; (c) travel and daily allowance/per diem; (d) access to tutoring; (e) coaching, (f) locker rooms, practice and competitive facilities; (g) medical and training facilities and services; (h) housing and dining facilities and services; (i) publicity and promotions; (j) support services and (k) recruitment of student-athletes.<<

>>An institution must meet all of the following requirements in order to be in compliance with Title IX:
  1. For participation requirements, institutions officials must meet one of the following three tests. An institution may:
    1. Provide participation opportunities for women and men that are substantially proportionate to their respective rates of enrollment of full-time undergraduate students;
    2. Demonstrate a history and continuing practice of program expansion for the underrepresented sex;
    3. Fully and effectively accommodate the interests and abilities of the underrepresented sex; and,
  2. Female and male student-athletes must receive athletics scholarship dollars proportional to their participation; and,
  3. Equal treatment of female and male student-athletes in the eleven provisions as mentioned above.<<
2018 UConn undergrad demographics was 51% female.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom