New Athletic Complex Videos/Pics/Updates | Page 12 | The Boneyard

New Athletic Complex Videos/Pics/Updates

Reaction Score
This is why we got turf. By tomorrow it will be mid 50's, green and totally dry. I know a lot of people were against the turf move for baseball but its the only way to compete in the north.

Plus if you need to, the field can be plowed and shoveled. I recall several years ago UConn had a series at Seton Hall where it snowed either the previous night or in the morning of a game. They removed the snow from the field and were able to play that night.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
That can't be a good sign. My only gripe about the field is I felt like they should have used dirt in the batter's box, base paths and pitchers mound. The carpeting seems odd. I get that this should be lower maintenance and will help when clearing snow, but it just doesn't seem right.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That can't be a good sign. My only gripe about the field is I felt like they should have used dirt in the batter's box, base paths and pitchers mound. The carpeting seems odd. I get that this should be lower maintenance and will help when clearing snow, but it just doesn't seem right.
I like the modular aspect of this. Kind of agree, I'd like to go at least a full season before a segment needs to be replaced, but I like the apparent ease of replacement.

Reaction Score
The right handed batting box is exhibiting some significant wear and tear.

Reaction Score
I like the modular aspect of this. Kind of agree, I'd like to go at least a full season before a segment needs to be replaced, but I like the apparent ease of replacement.
I have no concerns on the replacement. This is all part of having turf. I remember in an interview, Coach Penders said they have extra pieces out in the sun so they all age the same color when replacements are needed.

When I played, we used to have to spend 20+ minutes after every single practice and game fixing up the dirt. Catchers took care of home plate and batters box and pitchers fixed the mound and bullpens. Infielders had to rake infield grass edges and run the tractor on the infield dirt. This was all after a 3 hour practice or game. So in the grand scheme of things, having to replace one turf section every once in a while is an easy trade.

Reaction Score
That can't be a good sign.

Remember... they have been practicing/playing on the field since early last spring. This is normal when you have the means to do it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Don't mind the artificial turf in the outfield grass and infield grass - the mound, batter's box, base paths should be dirt - easy to cover those areas in early spring - if it's cold enough to snow it ain't baseball weather
I hated playing in the cold for a myriad of reasons

Reaction Score
Don't mind the artificial turf in the outfield grass and infield grass - the mound, batter's box, base paths should be dirt - easy to cover those areas in early spring - if it's cold enough to snow it ain't baseball weather
I hated playing in the cold for a myriad of reasons
Unfortunately when you have the different surfaces it causes major lips for bad hops, tripping over and the dirt just never stays and spreads into the turf. Also, guys like to use different cleats on turf (more of a molded soccer and football style) vs dirt (old school metal) so having two surfaces is not ideal. I get what you are saying about the dirt and I was the same way when I played. But during my time, the all turf fields started popping up and they were better than I expected.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom