New Athletic Complex Videos/Pics/Updates | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New Athletic Complex Videos/Pics/Updates

Reaction Score
1573574426599.png

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Yes... and not just in the Northeast. Many college stadiums are field turf.Texas, Louisville, Vanderbilt, Tulane, Oklahoma, Michigan, Tennessee etc...

At Texas & OU, its because the plains winds would literally blow away the entire infield. Storrs is windy, but it ain't that windy.

They're cheapening out. Stinks for the infielders. Nick Ahmed never gets a shot in pro ball if he's playing SS on that surface.

Reaction Score
At Texas & OU, its because the plains winds would literally blow away the entire infield. Storrs is windy, but it ain't that windy.

They're cheapening out. Stinks for the infielders. Nick Ahmed never gets a shot in pro ball if he's playing SS on that surface.

Baylor and TAMU have dirt infields...

It would seem that plenty of college infielders who play on field turf get a shot in pro ball. Scouts can see talent.

I get the traditionalist point of view for grass all around but turf makes sense w/ the spring weather in the Northeast.

Reaction Score
Interesting thought on UT and OU, yet in addition to A&M’s dirt infield OK State’s building a brand new stadium with plans for a dirt infield. Then again, they all also have separate practice fields.

In Storrs, Ann Arbor and possibly Louisville, Vandy and Tennessee, lingering cold and wet weather likely plays a significant role in going the field turf route. Better for practice, snow removal, and likely ongoing maintenance costs alike.

Reaction Score
Baylor and TAMU have dirt infields...

It would seem that plenty of college infielders who play on field turf get a shot in pro ball. Scouts can see talent.

I get the traditionalist point of view for grass all around but turf makes sense w/ the spring weather in the Northeast.
How do you know your coming up against a wall without the texturial difference giving you a heads up?

Reaction Score
Pitt used to have an Astroturf infield. Dirt around the bases and mound and a natural grass outfield.

zls44

Reaction Score
Im 100% fine w turf for the field, but the infield should be dirt.

zls44

Reaction Score

Weren't many scouts around UConn around Nick's time, things were just getting really rolling. Its harder for IF guys up here to get a fair look. This doesn't help.

Reaction Score
Weren't many scouts around UConn around Nick's time, things were just getting really rolling. Its harder for IF guys up here to get a fair look. This doesn't help.

Scouts were crawling all over UConn when Ahmed was playing. He was part of the 2011 team w/ Springer, Barnes, Andreoli, Cross, etc...

I personally would have prefered a dirt infield and base paths for aesthetics but understand why they took the route they did.

Kids play in/on so many different environments (fields) now-a-days between home field, away games and summer leagues I don’t think this is going to hurt anyone’s ability to get noticed. If you are good, they will find you.

Reaction Score
Looks like the berm can be also accessed by that parking lot near the apple sales building. Seems to be a pathway already cleared.

zls44

Reaction Score
Even the frickin MOUND is fake grass? #getoffmylawn

Reaction Score
Even the frickin MOUND is fake grass? #getoffmylawn
Almost all new turf fields in the Northeast are full turf fields. In fact, I don't remember the last time that I've seen an amateur game on a turf field with a dirt infield although they do exist. BC just built a new baseball stadium as well and it is all turf. You really have to have full turf if you are going to play from mid March through early May. Remember, UConn starts trying to play home games in early to mid March.

The problem with the turf fields is the heat in the summer as the fields get very hot. Catchers melt in the heat.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Im 100% fine w turf for the field, but the infield should be dirt.
Completely agree. I've never seen this turf, but it's hard to imagine sliding on it. How do batters/runners/pitchers dig in, be it the batter's box, pitcher landing spot or thinking about stealing? I assume due diligence was done and would guess that Coach Penders was included, but like you I'd rather have dirt in all the places it belongs. All 4 bases and the mound.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Penders was involved since planning and design meeting #1
I figured he was. I guess if he's OK with the plan, who am I to complain? I won't be playing on it. I did donate to baseball and soccer, so I want to get my money's worth of bitchin'!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom