New Article, MSU down to Two | The Boneyard

New Article, MSU down to Two

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Between Louisville's Jeff Walz and Old Dominion's Nikki McCray-Penson.

I guess if Jeff wants it, he should get it.

Reaction Score
Per the article from Louisville with the pay cuts and budget cuts, I think this puts Walz as number 1 contender.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well, should one cost significantly more than the other? I mean, why would you offer McCray the same amount of money you would for Walz? So if the reported $1.75 to $2.0 mil for Walz is correct, wouldn't McCray only get $750k?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Well, should one cost significantly more than the other? I mean, why would you offer McCray the same amount of money you would for Walz? So if the reported $1.75 to $2.0 mil for Walz is correct, wouldn't McCray only get $750k?

Her value would be a lot less due to his track record being stronger than McCray's. Even so, Nikki jumping from 200-->750 is massive. Would also make 3 former Pat Summitt players from the 90s all SEC head coaches. Plus Matthew Mitchell who worked under her.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Per the article from Louisville with the pay cuts and budget cuts, I think this puts Walz as number 1 contender.
Is there some reason to think MSU is immune to the same? I'd imagine all but a half dozen ADs around the country are poised to be making similar kinds of adjustments in the coming weeks.

Reaction Score
No, I don't see MSU being constrained by money unless this pandemic hurts live sports next year.

Reaction Score
In the SEC over 2/3 of university money comes from football. At MSU, Budget is around 75 million. Then the Bulldog Club annually kicks in another 30 to 40 million, private donations. Then you have the big donors that kick in for major infrastructure.

No football season lost, most of basketball. Baseball hurts for us, that is about it. And we usually do not run in the red, ever.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I was confident MSU would spend what is necessary for the right head coach. Seems like it's such an extreme in coaching experience and post-season success between Walz and McCray. I would have thought there would be some secondary options who are closer to Walz's level of experience if he passed on the job. I certainly don't see McCray as a "1B" option to Walz's "1A" option. McCray seems more like an Option 5 . . .

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nikki has a great player record but a very short tenure as a head coach at Old Dominion. Sounds to me Jeff is headed to MSU.

Reaction Score
I was confident MSU would spend what is necessary for the right head coach. Seems like it's such an extreme in coaching experience and post-season success between Walz and McCray. I would have thought there would be some secondary options who are closer to Walz's level of experience if he passed on the job. I certainly don't see McCray as a "1B" option to Walz's "1A" option. McCray seems more like an Option 5 . . .

She has a direct relationship with several of the current players, through USA basketball.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
She has a direct relationship with several of the current players, through USA basketball.
True. But, that doesn't change the huge discrepancy between Walz and McCray as it pertains to head coaching experience, recruiting success, and post-season success.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ok. So which domino lands in Louisville?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Ok. So which domino lands in Louisville?
Well, if Louisville is gonna try to penny-pinch, forget about any head coach who is currently earning a Top 15 salary nationally.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
As a fan who wants the ACC to be as strong as possible... it would be crushing if Walz left. :oops:

Maybe Old Dominion will take her after McCray leaves for Louisville.

:rolleyes:

Who would you rather have if you were a Louisville fan.... McCray or Heard-Clark?

Reaction Score
Would MSU have to pay for a buyout of Waltz’s contract?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Would MSU have to pay for a buyout of Waltz’s contract?
Why wouldn't they have to pay for it? UL isn't about to eat the cost. Walz isn't gonna pay his own buyout.

Reaction Score
Maybe you could get McCallie to step down and let Gail come back!

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
No, I don't see MSU being constrained by money unless this pandemic hurts live sports next year.

Agreed. I also think Louisville loses some money due to their mens basketball team not competiting in the tournament this year. We don't have as much invested in our men's team so I don't think we have as much losses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom