New AP Poll | The Boneyard

New AP Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Wow! With 8% of the US population, the state of Texas has 16% of the slots in the Top 25 in WCBB.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
lol about what i expected. can't really argue with how it's spread out. lots of room for movement at the top as lots of the top teams will play each other over the next several months.

Reaction Score
But Delaware has us all beat, with 0.3% of the pop. and 4% of the slots.
Yeah, but with just one team knocked off the list, both Connecticut and Delaware have zero % of the slots, while Texas still has 12% of the slots.

I think you're trying to slip us the old phedinkus, Phil.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
At the other extreme CA has 12% of pop and 4% of slots. If you use the difference, rather than the ratio, looks like TX and CA are the bookends.

edit (although NY deserves special mention as the largest state without a slot.)

Reaction Score
It is nice to see Delaware crack the Top 25. Look who is sitting at #11! CVS bashing, so far, has been minimal. Those who bemoaned UConn's early season position did not have to wait very long to get as high as they were going to get prior to December 18th.
Notre Dame, as the #2, should not be placed lower upon losing to #1. Or should they? Are we awarding style points in the way of point differential? If, by chance, Baylor luckily prevails over UConn next month, UConn should remain at #2 regardless of the spread.

Reaction Score
With 1% of the population, Connecticut has 4% of the slots, even more dominance.
Yea verily! When one considers the value of that one slot, the dominance is even more apparent.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It is nice to see Delaware crack the Top 25. Look who is sitting at #11! CVS bashing, so far, has been minimal. Those who bemoaned UConn's early season position did not have to wait very long to get as high as they were going to get prior to December 18th.
Notre Dame, as the #2, should not be placed lower upon losing to #1. Or should they? Are we awarding style points in the way of point differential? If, by chance, Baylor luckily prevails over UConn next month, UConn should remain at #2 regardless of the spread.
Of course, that's one of those difficult questions to answer: should you drop in rankings simply because you lost to a team the current rankings projected you should lose to? If you feel Notre Dame "looked" like the #2 team in losing as expected to the #1 team, you keep them at #2. If you thought their performance exposed weaknesses and fundamental vulernabilities not indicative of the #2 team in the country, maybe you drop them with the understanding they'll have the opportunity to prove they deserve a higher ranking later in the season.

Or you blindly guess and come up with some decent-sounding justification after the fact in case anyone asks. :)

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Methinks the APers are showing too much love to Maryland.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Methinks the APers are showing too much love to Maryland.

Could be, but unless MI is much better than I think they won't have a challenge until they get to conference play in January, and then maybe not until NC. They could easily be undefeated when they get to Duke.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Could be, but unless MI is much better than I think they won't have a challenge until they get to conference play in January, and then maybe not until NC. They could easily be undefeated when they get to Duke.

Being undefeated facing an OOC schedule as ridiculously easy as Maryland's should not justify a high ranking.

Reaction Score
Delaware comes in at #24. UConn plays 11 teams in this top 25, including ND twice.

1 Baylor (39)
2 Connecticut
3 Notre Dame
4 Texas A&M (1)
5 Stanford
6 Maryland
7 Duke
8 Tennessee
9 Miami (FL)
10 Louisville
11 Rutgers
12 Kentucky
13 Purdue
14 North Carolina
15 Georgia
16 Penn State
17 Ohio State
18 Oklahoma
19 Texas Tech
20 Georgetown
21 Texas
22 DePaul
23 Green Bay
24 Delaware
25 Vanderbilt
How many losses would TN need this early in the season to drop out of the top 10? Losing to VI<no longer ranked> and to Baylor at home is worthy of dropping more than from 3 to 6 to 8. 1 point behind Duke! There is a point where you say,well I think a certain team is better on paper than another,but
they do not deserve the ranking at this point.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I would love to see Penn State, Texas, Green Bay, Marist and Delaware on UCONN's schedule.

Reaction Score
I would love to see Penn State, Texas, Green Bay, Marist and Delaware on UCONN's schedule.

As indicated in his book, Coach Auriemma did not get along with the previous Penn State coach and was not likely to schedule them while she was there. Now that there is a new coach, who knows? It, obviously, has not happened yet.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn has played Marist and Texas, although I suspect the Texas games were set up before the coaching change. I don't think Geno & Coach G exchange Christmas cards.

Geno most likely knows Coquese Washington at PSU pretty well (former ND player & coach) and if she wants a game I imagine she could get one. Tonya at Temple, too. But Geno has said in the past he doesn't like to coach against his friends so maybe that's the holdup there.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, GG may not be at Texas much longer, though the Horns have gotten off to a decent start this season.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
UConn has played Marist and Texas, although I suspect the Texas games were set up before the coaching change. I don't think Geno & Coach G exchange Christmas cards.

Geno most likely knows Coquese Washington at PSU pretty well (former ND player & coach) and if she wants a game I imagine she could get one. Tonya at Temple, too. But Geno has said in the past he doesn't like to coach against his friends so maybe that's the holdup there.
I would expect so, Nan, since she has, also, been active with the WBCA like Geno.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
To be fair, MD did beat #20Georgetown by about 20 pts. There's also a potential 12/29 matchup with Delaware--that could be one to watch.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Just a wish list! I would also love to see them play SMU, TCU, North Texas and Ut-Arlington every year so I could see more UConn games :)

Reaction Score

The last TX game also featured something I'll never forget: then TX assistant (and former/again TN assistant) Micki DeMoss walked right by Geno in the handshake line at the end of the game w/o offering her hand. Classy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom