New ACC Commish on Playoff expansion... | The Boneyard

New ACC Commish on Playoff expansion...

Reaction Score
"An expanded playoff’s impact on player safety, the regular-season and academic calendar, and a bowl system that Phillips believes “is worth saving” all must be examined.

“I think we’ll get to the right place,” Phillips said. “But to me, that’s not gonna happen in a few months or the next six months. I think that’s gonna take some time. We need to do a thorough assessment before making any major decisions.”

Phillips also said that guaranteed "access" for each Power Five conference likely would accompany any playoff expansion.

David Teel Noodling on Notre Dame and play off...

But what if the playoff expands to eight teams with automatic bids to each Power Five champion and the highest-ranked Group of Five champion? That would leave Notre Dame scrambling for one of two at-large spots.

Notre Dame’s calculation then would become: If entree to a national championship is paramount, do we have better odds of earning the ACC’s automatic bid or an at-large?

An expanded playoff of 12 or 16 teams would create additional at-large slots and erase this potential incentive for the Irish to forgo independence.

Does this impact the ACC vote? Maybe...but probably not other conference's votes.

Reaction Score
"An expanded playoff’s impact on player safety, the regular-season and academic calendar, and a bowl system that Phillips believes “is worth saving” all must be examined.

“I think we’ll get to the right place,” Phillips said. “But to me, that’s not gonna happen in a few months or the next six months. I think that’s gonna take some time. We need to do a thorough assessment before making any major decisions.”

Phillips also said that guaranteed "access" for each Power Five conference likely would accompany any playoff expansion.

David Teel Noodling on Notre Dame and play off...

But what if the playoff expands to eight teams with automatic bids to each Power Five champion and the highest-ranked Group of Five champion? That would leave Notre Dame scrambling for one of two at-large spots.

Notre Dame’s calculation then would become: If entree to a national championship is paramount, do we have better odds of earning the ACC’s automatic bid or an at-large?

An expanded playoff of 12 or 16 teams would create additional at-large slots and erase this potential incentive for the Irish to forgo independence.

Does this impact the ACC vote? Maybe...but probably not other conference's votes.
Seriously with a decent year it will be a lot easier for ND to get an at large bid.
than the ACC Bid where you actually have to beat a Clemson or FSU for the ACC title. More Intriguing is the top G5 team .

Reaction Score
Seriously with a decent year it will be a lot easier for ND to get an at large bid.
than the ACC Bid where you actually have to beat a Clemson or FSU for the ACC title. More Intriguing is the top G5 team .

What David Teel opined if there became an expansion of at large slots.....made it icreasingly easier for the Irish to make the CFP and thus, less incentive for the ACC, anyway, to charge out for such expansion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom