?New 2014 Commit - Anthony Watkins (6-1 185lb WR) | The Boneyard

?New 2014 Commit - Anthony Watkins (6-1 185lb WR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller3:32pm via TweetDeck
Per his twitter accouint, Lawrenceville WR Anthony Watkins has committed to #UConn, he had 49 catches as senior

TONE ‏@AntWatkins__ 29m
COMMITTED TO UCONN FOR FOOTBALL

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2580030/anthony-watkins

Edit add: http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/01/lawrenceville-wr-commits-to-uconn.html

>>The 5-11, 185-pound Watkins had 49 catches for 872 yards as a senior and had at least six catches in each of his first five games. He caught 12 passes for 204 yards in 45-15 loss to Choate and had seven receptions for 216 yards and four TDs in 53-13 win over Mercersburg Academy. He also had kickoff returns of 86 and 90 yards and punt returns of 60 and 85 yards.<<

Sites have him @ 5-11, 6-0, 6-1.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From JB article on TOS:

"The coaching staff and the facilities stood out to me," said Watkins, who mentioned that he believes that he received his offer from the Huskies on December 19th. "The coaching staff is brand new and it seemed like they've been together a much, much longer time span than a week and a half. The facilities were second to none, the indoor practice facility is ridiculous and the weight room was just unbelievable. It was everything you could ask for as an athlete."

>>At the time of his commitment yesterday, Watkins also held offers from Coastal Carolina, Elon, Stony Brook and Tennessee-Chattanooga, and was receiving serious interest from Towson, Delaware, Maine and Old Dominion.<<

Reaction Score

Negatives: Feels like his top line speed is slower overall, and his route running needs help. Not too crisp on those that weren't go routes (nothing practice and some agility training can't fix). A 40 time could easily reveal his top line speed is solid though and hope I'm wrong.

Positives: EA Sports Madden speak (a little hyperbole here), this kid has an elusive rating of a 99 and acceleration rating of 99, he hits 0 to top line in the blink of an eye. Just plain slippery on both s/t returns and after the catch. Also, he seems to have solid timing plucking the ball out of the air at its high point and good hands.

Welcome aboard to Tony! Dig the 'dynasty' tweet.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He looks slippery. Lets start with kick off returns and WR bubble screens.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Negatives: Feels like his top line speed is slower overall, and his route running needs help. Not too crisp on those that weren't go routes (nothing practice and some agility training can't fix). A 40 time could easily reveal his top line speed is solid though and hope I'm wrong.

Positives: EA Sports Madden speak (a little hyperbole here), this kid has an elusive rating of a 99 and acceleration rating of 99, he hits 0 to top line in the blink of an eye. Just plain slippery on both s/t returns and after the catch. Also, he seems to have solid timing plucking the ball out of the air at its high point and good hands.

Welcome aboard to Tony! Dig the 'dynasty' tweet.

Based on this, are you convinced he's a WR prospect and won't be converted to DB? Certainly seems like he could be a good punt returner, where acceleration from a stop is more critical than straight speed.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Based on this, are you convinced he's a WR prospect and won't be converted to DB? Certainly seems like he could be a good punt returner, where acceleration from a stop is more critical than straight speed.

He could be flipped, but his hands are pretty darn could - almost too good - to be used at DB....

Reaction Score

The fact that almost all of his highlight reel was as a WR, while it wouldn't surprise me if he happened to be recruited at that position, it seems as though he would prefer/was marketing himself as a WR at a minimum (or didn't have solid highlights as a CB).

Reaction Score
He could be flipped, but his hands are pretty darn could - almost too good - to be used at DB....
I agree. He catches everything with his hands, can shake free from tacklers, and shows a good burst to separate from defenders. Not all WR are/need to be burners. Besides, I'd rather have a guy with games speed than straight line speed. His route running does need work but that can be coached. What I really like is that AW is another versatile player HCBD is bringing in with this class. We need competition and depth at every position. AW looks like he can come in and compete on either side of the ball and special teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom