New '13-'14 roster is up | The Boneyard

New '13-'14 roster is up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's the LINK

No picture for Saniya yet. They have her listed as 5'8"............I thought she was 5'9"?? Bria must have swiped an inch from Saniya when she wasn't looking since I thought Bria was 5'7"...................I don't think we'll need any extra inches this year to get to the top........because that's where we are going to start AND END the '13-'14 WCBB season!

4 out of 9 from NYS........good to see!!!............Go Huskies!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
when was the last time there was ZERO kids from Connecticut

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Good question, DaddyChoc..........................I went through the media guide and it looks like it was '05-'06 (LINK).......Jacquie F signed on for '06-'07 (LINK).

I believe that is correct.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Hopefully the coaching staff will be able to add another player or two via walk-ons.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow, when you see it listed like that, we are short of bodies. :eek:

( I was trying to scroll down to see the rest of the team)

HGN

Reaction Score
A Super Talented roster laced with a least 4 potential AA , combined with a Super Talented coaching staff can win another NC............Every player will get quality minutes.

But I can't help but wish for about 2 more bodies though. A walk-on or just a walk-by:(

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
When I looked at the roster, I thought to myself "that's it?":) But when you look at the names on that roster, all I can think about is "that's enough".
Agreed. And as Meyers said, it really looks small when you see it in print like that. I'm sure the height questions will come up again when we see the team picture, but I have a hard time believing that Mo is only 1 inch shorter than Bria.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A I'm sure the height questions will come up again when we see the team picture, but I have a hard time believing that Mo is only 1 inch shorter than Bria.
Yea, I'm not buying that.

Reaction Score
Think of it this way Geno can start a lineup with 2 junior's and 3 soph's better the almost every school in the country, KML, BB, Breanna, Morgan, Moriah.

Reaction Score
... 4 out of 9 from NYS .... good to see!!! ...

It certainly is.

In fact, it's absolutely necessary in the future that UConn draws well from its own backyard since there are more respectable programs to play for than in the past. Top-ranked recruits now fly over really good programs on their way to visit Storrs, and the thought's got to occur to them that maybe they can shorten that trip from home to school by 800 miles or so.

Not every great player has the guts of a Taurasi.

Reaction Score
Agreed. And as Meyers said, it really looks small when you see it in print like that. I'm sure the height questions will come up again when we see the team picture, but I have a hard time believing that Mo is only 1 inch shorter than Bria.
Yes I'm having a hard time believing that too. I think Brian is at least two-three inches taller than Mo.

Reaction Score
What concerns me about a 9 player roster is the loss of opportunity. :-(

I'm willing to grant that UCONN standards are set deliberately high in terms of bb talent and personality traits and that the number of individuals meeting them is not great.

Still, UCONN is a state school, serving a public educational need. There have to be 6 kids either from CT or elsewhere who could benefit from a scholarship and who could adhere in the rigors of the program even if their bb talent couldn't crack the lineup and get game minutes except when the outcome wasn't in doubt.

Education trumps bb.

In short, it seems to me that a legitimate criticism could be fashioned around the issue of not granting 15 allowable scholarships on a consistent basis. And, if not 15 every year, then certainly a lot closer to it than 9.

As for bb itself, I'm ok with this year's 9. Especially this 9.

Reaction Score
Saniya Lynn Chong ... Born June 27, 1994
Breanna Stewart … Born on August 27, 1994

According to the official roster, Saniya Chong is older than Stewie and just a couple months younger than Morgan and Moriah. I was unaware of that. If the official roster is correct, it's nice to know that Saniya will be older for a Freshman. I loved that quote by Taya Reimer! Thanks for posting, TimeWillTell.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
What concerns me about a 9 player roster is the loss of opportunity. :-(

I'm willing to grant that UCONN standards are set deliberately high in terms of bb talent and personality traits and that the number of individuals meeting them is not great.

Still, UCONN is a state school, serving a public educational need. There have to be 6 kids either from CT or elsewhere who could benefit from a scholarship and who could adhere in the rigors of the program even if their bb talent couldn't crack the lineup and get game minutes except when the outcome wasn't in doubt.

Education trumps bb.

In short, it seems to me that a legitimate criticism could be fashioned around the issue of not granting 15 allowable scholarships on a consistent basis. And, if not 15 every year, then certainly a lot closer to it than 9.

As for bb itself, I'm ok with this year's 9. Especially this 9.

Are you saying that the program should lower its standards, sacrifice the quality of its program by having less effective practices with lower quality players, add to travel and other ancillary costs, reduce minutes for the bench players, and have more bench warmers in order to use the basketball program as a way to give away more free state educations? Education trumps basketball only for players on the team, not for creating the team. There are plenty of other ways for deserving students to get a break – and they don't cost as much as sponsoring a varsity basketball player. That's not to say some kids don't get in who aren't totally up to the standards, we can name numerous great young ladies who fit that bill throughout the years, but to add players per your thinking is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if there will be any walk-ons? There is just the recruited women listed on the Husky's Website. The fact that we only have 9 players is scary because of possible season ending injuries. Guess the Huskies will each get a ton of playing time this Season.

Reaction Score
Players who were on the roster, but not good enough to push their team-mates even in practice. Wasn't that the reason for 2 people leaving, last summer before the school year started?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I am wondering who on the curent UConn team steps up and replaces Faris's leadership and #'s of:
30 mpg
10.2 ppg
155 assists
95 steals
223 rebounds

Maybe Moriah on the steals? Bria on the assists? The gap on rebounds is big. Faris had 223, which was 4th on the team, and the next closest were Hartley and Tuck at 120
To me it has to be a combo of players.

Will be interesting to see.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Chong might be the new Faris, eventually....

As to height, I think from what I've seen (by comparison with other players) that Chong is about 5 9 and Bria is about 5 10. Should put them back to back to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom